Halloween's "Back From The Dead" Writ Exer.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Halloween's "Back From The Dead" Writ Exer.

I worry that after around 6 entries readers will start to get bored. Scripts 7-20 will then suffer from skimming or just plain loss of excitement.

If your script appears as one of the first (due to alphabetical order), consider yourself lucky. To ensure this, I titled my entry "Aardvark" (Even though no aardvark is present or even mentioned in the script).
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

How many entries would there be if everyone got to submit only one? Could be a lesson in knowing how to kill your own darlings.

Comment

- the competition's writing stage is over: ties are loosened across the world, mission control sits back, cats are fed, sweet wrappers swept up, dirty coffee mugs gathered and dumped in the sink. dirty linen discarded, relatives readmitted to the room.

A voting panel is one other consideration, seven mugs, I mean brave souls do the reading and vote, but with some liaison, will be a right pain, with this, if there is a need for such, and folks may feel excluded.

We always said, you can't vote for your own entry of course, which throws something of a spanner into any of these approaches.
        Last edited by The Road Warrior; 11-01-2013, 05:47 AM.
        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Yay for last-minute entries! That makes... 24... coming your way soon. Watch out for the "entries" thread.

Handy link to the entries thread
          Last edited by dpaterso; 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
            - the competition's writing stage is over: ties are loosened across the world, mission control sits back, cats are fed, sweet wrappers swept up, dirty coffee mugs gathered and dumped in the sink. dirty linen discarded, relatives readmitted to the room.

A voting panel is one other consideration, seven mugs, I mean brave souls do the reading and vote, but with some liaison, will be a right pain, with this, if there is a need for such, and folks may feel excluded.

We always said, you can't vote for your own entry of course, which throws something of a spanner into any of these approaches.
            Translate to regular people speak, please?

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
              Translate to regular people speak, please?
              Sorry, that was rushed Brit-speak, a sort of short-hand.

Okay, second try...

A few of us volunteer to read each of the entries and decide on which of those are to receive 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in the competition.

We're therefore forming a kind of 'voting panel', to sit and judge the entries, and these people can liaise, if required.
              Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Read them all on a simple "does this grab me straight off" basis

At this stage

two I liked straight off (well three but I guess the whole no self voting ruins that )

and five to sort amongst to get a third place getter
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Are the DDP members at large reading and voting to choose win, place and show (as in years past), or is there going to be a judging panel that selects the winners?

Comment

I've read through the majority.

Some of you people are a whole lot of not right.

The scary thing is - I think I said the same thing last year.

Comment

A whole lotta entries here. I cobbled one together and now it's like the SATs. I wished I had studied harder.
                      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                        Are the DDP members at large reading and voting to choose win, place and show (as in years past), or is there going to be a judging panel that selects the winners?
                        I know of no judging panel. Everyone is invited to read and vote, regardless of whether they submitted an entry or not.

Originally posted by Colin Holmes View Post
                        Some of you people are a whole lot of not right.
                        In a whole lot of not bad way?

Comment

I've carefully read all the entries. Some impressions so far:

-- Judging from the sheer number of f*cked-up entries this year, I do not wish to meet any of you in person.
                          -- There's a clear front runner who will likely be derailed by voters looking to propel their own entries (This is why sane competitions don't let contestants vote).
                          -- The majority of submissions took full advantage of 8 pages.
                          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post

We were just discussing methods of reading, that's all. It's as Derek says, we all read (and anybody else who'd like to) and vote for our favourites... 1,2,3.

And you can't vote for your own entry of course.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                              -- There's a clear front runner who will likely be derailed by voters looking to propel their own entries (This is why sane competitions don't let contestants vote).
                              I'm filing this under "Thoughts that would never even have occurred to me." Meh, it's just a fun contest, I'm voting for the scripts that appeal to me the most. I also missed seeing a clear front runner.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                                I know of no judging panel. Everyone is invited to read and vote, regardless of whether they submitted an entry or not.

In a whole lot of not bad way?
                                Ah, okay. Thanks, Derek. I took Road Warrior's comment...
                                A few of us volunteer to read each of the entries and decide on which of those are to receive 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in the competition.

We're therefore forming a kind of 'voting panel', to sit and judge the entries, and these people can liaise, if required.
                                ... too literally. I now see he was referring to a figurative "panel." I'll say this much, that Englishman has a unique mastery of the language.

Deadline for voting?

Comment

Working...
                                X