If your manager doesn't like a particular script...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your manager doesn't like a particular script...

...is it okay to pitch it elsewhere?

Thanks, guys.

Re: If your manager doesn't like a particular script...

To other managers... no.
    To production companies? Sure. If they like it, your manager will probably be happy to further the talks.
    To production companies your manager introduced you to? I would be polite and say to the manager, "Hey - I know you're not in love with this, but I think x would dig it. Would you mind if I shot them an email and the logline?

Did your manager say why he/she didn't like the script?
    https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

Hi, and thanks for responding.

The script is a female-driven thriller that was actually optioned at one point by the EP of an award-winning Matthew McConaughey vehicle. Long story and not worth blathering about.

Anyway, she thinks the protagonist is "unsympathetic- and although the concept is good, she finds it "implausible.-

As I liken this a "vampire story without an actual vampire,- that's perplexing to me.

I mean, come on: There's a panoply of big budget films where "plausible- isn't a factor.

I feel weird about this now. What do I do?

Thanks, again. Appreciate the time you took to respond.

Comment

Based on your description, it sounds like it's a "taste- response.

My experience with managers is that it's tough to find one that resonates with your entire body of work. If it were my script, and if I was really passionate about it, I would check in with a few of my own contacts that I thought might respond. The caveat is, that can backfire if you send the wrong project to someone who already likes your work.

Another option is to sit on it and wait for another opportunity (and see how things play out with your current manager.) If you love it, you might consider writing it as a book. Not every project has legs, and sometimes it's just not worth the push. And sometimes it is. It's so hard to tell, and that's one of the frustrating things about this business.

I wish you luck, whatever you decide to do with it.

Comment

Great food for thought. Thanks so much and I wish you the best with your projects.

Comment

You're very welcome, and thank you so much for your well wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
              ...is it okay to pitch it elsewhere?

Thanks, guys.
              Short answer, absolutely.

Long answer, your manager works for you, not the other way around. If your manager is unwilling to send it out, you just do it yourself. It's not their career, it's yours. I just had the same thing happen to me. New spec. Had fabulous feedback from readers, all positive, which is not an easy thing to get, and my manager hated it. I sent it to my agent... he said it was the best spec he's read this year. He's sending it out... but I'm also using my contacts to send it out myself... It's my career. My script. I own it. I believe in it. I get to do with it what I want. Don't let fear stop you from doing what you need to do.

It doesn't do you any good sitting in a drawer because one person didn't like it. Market it out there yourself. It's what you did before you had a manager. I wish you success.

Comment

Absolutely. And yes, your manager might get pissed. If they do? **** em'. I've dropped managers who have issues with me sending out my own work. If they aren't going to do their job, I will. Every script I've sent out on my own has led to either a General Meeting, Option, or Assignment. I'm not going to sit on a script I know is good. Right now, I only have an Attorney, and won't be signing with anyone who isn't okay with this. I've made 6 figure sales from querying a script my bum manager wouldn't do **** with. No one is going to work as hard for you as you. Remember that.

Comment

I’m in a similar boat now, trying to figure out what to do with a pilot that agent has deemed too similar in tone to an existing, well received TV show. My pilot is based on IP so I’m considering writing an article about the topic to draw attention to it that way.
                  Last edited by Writerla; 12-01-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Ed and Cth, you've been a lot of help through the years and I appreciate it.

The more I think about this the more upset I become. This is a script that has received some great feedback. When it was optioned by the crazy SOB, who I won't name, there was interest from some really fine talent. That said, people can't wait forever. The option ran out (thankfully), and the rights reverted to me.

I did and do have a director attached. A talented Indie guy who has been very supportive. He would jump at the chance to direct if the opportunity presented itself. Another reason why I don't get my rep's unwillingness to even give it a shot.

Since my OP, I emailed her and said that I would take another look at the script and see if I can make the protagonist "more sympathetic." That said, I think that's bullshit. Just trying to go along to get along, I guess.

Her response was that unless she's really "in love" with a project, edits won't matter. What the hell. I didn't and won't respond to that as I'm afraid I may say something I'll regret later.

So, I will take your advice and pitch it myself. Meanwhile, if there are any interested parties here, seeking a female-driven thriller, please PM me.

Again, thank you. Sounds like you guys are kicking ass. Good for you.

Comment

Her response was that unless she's really "in love" with a project, edits won't matter. What the hell. I didn't and won't respond to that as I'm afraid I may say something I'll regret later.

God, this sh*t makes me mad. Reps are salespeople. If you don't want to be in sales, guess what, there are like a billion jobs that aren't "manager for screenwriters."

Imagine if a real estate agent only showed houses they were "really in love with." Or if an insurance broker only sold plans they were "really in love with."

I can't help but wonder about some of these so-called representative-- what do *they* think their jobs are?

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post

Imagine if a real estate agent only showed houses they were "really in love with."
                        I've been shown over a house that the agent was very blah about... it showed
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I love EdFury's feedback.

But I will say, it can be tricky because some managers might react really negatively to taking it out yourself, so just be prepared for a possible sh*t fit, lol.

"If you don't trust my taste and judgement, maybe we have a problem."

"You thought it would be okay to go around me?"

"If you can sell material yourself, then why do you need me?"

These are things some managers might say. So the question will be - whether your manager is a little more chill and will respect your desire to see what you can do with it, or be one of these types who will take your actions as offensive.

One thing I've learned having had more than one manager in my career thus far and having also worked closely with managers of actors and other talent, managers in general tend to be a little more touchy than agents. They start off with "You're the writer/talent, I trust your judgement, we'll do whatever you want. I'll just give you my experienced feedback and you can take it or leave it." but pretty soon after the comfortability increases, they tend to forget they work for you and slip into a little more of the "I know more than you, if you're not going to do everything I say then we may have a problem." vibe.

For me, I've usually trusted my reps' creative judgement probably 80% of the time, but maybe 20% of the time I'm gonna disagree with their judgement and want to push back and roll with my gut. Some reps have reacted with a shrug and said, "No problem, let's see how it goes." and others in the past got SUPER touchy about any push back or self hustling to the point of blatantly insinuating it could cost me a rep (I'm no longer with those people, by choice/mutually). So, just be prepared for any outcome.

But at the end of the day, if you lose or almost lose a rep over trusting your instincts and championing your own material - then they probably weren't a very good rep in the first place, so, it's no big loss.
                          Last edited by Lahlowen; 12-03-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Ed and Cth, you've been a lot of help through the years and I appreciate it.

The more I think about this the more upset I become. This is a script that has received some great feedback. When it was optioned by the crazy SOB, who I won't name, there was interest from some really fine talent. That said, people can't wait forever. The option ran out (thankfully), and the rights reverted to me.

I did and do have a director attached. A talented Indie guy who has been very supportive. He would jump at the chance to direct if the opportunity presented itself. Another reason why I don't get my rep's unwillingness to even give it a shot.

Since my OP, I emailed her and said that I would take another look at the script and see if I can make the protagonist "more sympathetic." That said, I think that's bullshit. Just trying to go along to get along, I guess.

So, I will take your advice and pitch it myself. Meanwhile, if there are any interested parties here, seeking a female-driven thriller, please PM me.

Again, thank you. Sounds like you guys are kicking ass. Good for you.

Is the attached director repped? Have you discussed having his reps try and do something with it?

Comment

Yes, he is repped. Agent, no manager, I believe. He really did submit the script on his own to a producer in L.A. who was intrigued by the concept and asked for the script. So we'll see how that goes. The director is Canadian, btw.

Regarding my manager not being happy if I market the script on my own - good point and I get it, but my gut tells me she won't care. That said, I'm not going to tell her.

You've all given excellent feedback. And yes, why be a manager if you're not going to do your job? As I think about this, every "big- thing that has happened to me, as a screenwriter, has been the result of my own hustle.

Comment

Working...
                              X