Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Austin Notifications

Took a quick look around the web and it looks like over 4000 entries... so that's at least 200 phone calls... So assuming they start today, and depending on how many people are making calls.... could be that many people find out their status via the AFF website by this weekend or the start of next week, before they get either a call or a letter....

Not that I'm obsessing or anything...
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint, but they don't select 5% of contestants as semifinalists. If you look on their website, you'll see last year there were 63 semifinalists and finalists (they don't re-list semifinalists who went on to become finalists, unless they're in different categories so there might be a couple of duplicates there). If there were about 4000 entries, that makes it around 1.5%. Correct me if I'm wrong; doing the math in my head here.

Also, people should remember that making the second round is a fantastic accomplishment. In such a large contest, it's not easy to get noticed and advance to the top ten percent. Being able to say "second round, Austin" could easily open some doors.

Comment

Originally posted by lobster View Post
        Sorry to disappoint, but they don't select 5% of contestants as semifinalists. If you look on their website, you'll see last year there were 63 semifinalists and finalists (they don't re-list semifinalists who went on to become finalists, unless they're in different categories so there might be a couple of duplicates there). If there were about 4000 entries, that makes it around 1.5%. Correct me if I'm wrong; doing the math in my head here.

Also, people should remember that making the second round is a fantastic accomplishment. In such a large contest, it's not easy to get noticed and advance to the top ten percent. Being able to say "second round, Austin" could easily open some doors.
        Yes, thanks for pointing that out. But it's still difficult to get an accurate percentage since we don't know the breakdown of entries by category. Last year, there were 13 total comedy semi-finalists. 3 went on to the finals.
        Last edited by redwriter; 09-07-2010, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Last year, semi-finalists by category were 13 for Drama, 10 for Comedy, 5 (!) for SF, etc; see http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/09_semifinalists.

# of finalists ranged from 3 to 6 per category last year; see http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/2009_finalists
          Last edited by LauriD; 09-07-2010, 02:53 AM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Check the website for last year's numbers: http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/screenplay (scroll to bottom for lists). The categories have different amounts. I think it just depends how many scripts receive high enough scores. They don't seem to have a set number for each.

Comment

Got my letters today....

3 out of 4 entries advanced to the 2d round.

Close but no cigar.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                Got my letters today....

3 out of 4 entries advanced to the 2d round.

Close but no cigar.
                I'd say 3 out of 4 in the top 10% is quite awesome.

Comment

No doubt! Good job, LauriD!!!!
                  HL

Comment

It's just you.

Comment

second round dink. whoopdee crap

Comment

Second round dink as well. Good luck to the rest.

Comment

Second round reject letter just arrived. Good luck to anybody still waiting!

Comment

Um .... second round dink here, too.

Are all of the second round dinks on DD? Is this an anti-DD thing? What's the deal.

(just to be clear: I'm joking)

Comment

I'm out as well.

Comment

I'm out. Made 2nd round. Is that better or worse than first round?

It's an honor just to be nominated. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                                X