Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Way To Get Read

Has catcon been repped before? Is that why jonpiper wants his advice more than mine? I'm just joking, but I honestly don't know the answer to the question or why crowdfunding would be brought up in this thread, but that's just me...

Jonpiper -- one way to get read is for someone who is repped get so excited by your work, they want to pass it on. I've done that before for friends. Usually when they did not ask. So you can't just ask. But if someone like doc or Gucci read one of their friends scripts and loved it so much, maybe maybe maybe they would pass it on. Or tell their rep you're legit. make the introduction.

So that's 1 way.

Just listening to scriptnotes and John/Craig got so excited for 3 pages challenge they they asked to read the whole thing. That's huge for writers. He used to do that on this board too...

But first you have to write that great material to get someone already repped excited to share your script with their people. Because most won't for same fear that reps have -- looking foolish if the person doesn't dig it like they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      Has catcon been repped before? Is that why jonpiper wants his advice more than mine? I'm just joking, but I honestly don't know the answer to the question or why crowdfunding would be brought up in this thread, but that's just me...

Jonpiper -- one way to get read is for someone who is repped get so excited by your work, they want to pass it on. I've done that before for friends. Usually when they did not ask. So you can't just ask. But if someone like doc or Gucci read one of their friends scripts and loved it so much, maybe maybe maybe they would pass it on. Or tell their rep you're legit. make the introduction.

So that's 1 way.

Just listening to scriptnotes and John/Craig got so excited for 3 pages challenge they they asked to read the whole thing. That's huge for writers. He used to do that on this board too...

But first you have to write that great material to get someone already repped excited to share your script with their people. Because most won't for same fear that reps have -- looking foolish if the person doesn't dig it like they do.
      Yup... truth!

More truth: I've never read a friend's script and loved it enough to feel comfortable passing it to my rep. But, I would if I fukkin loved it, I'm not a d!ck. I just haven't seen THE THING where I'm like, dude this is a WAY better writer than me (If I'm jealous of your concept/pages you've accomplished that. And I'll admit it. Not that I believe I'm god's gift, I'm a nobody, I just need that level of excitement to RISK my relationships and feel comfortable about putting my own ass on the line. I don't wanna waste people's time. I do that enough with my own shitty scripts).

I said before that my buddy of, what, 10 years ASKED me to make an inquiry with my ex to read his script. I felt a bit 'ish' about it, didn't super GET his script, didn't fully believe in it. He's like, dude, you've never, not once, passed my script to her. WTF? Whatever, sent it anyway to be a good friend. But I did feel pushed into it. Result. She never read it. I knew she wouldn't. Passed based on the GENRE. Which I get. This chick doesn't know sci-fi AT ALL. She liked my sci-fi, but I made her read it, and I think she was always a bit biased toward me so I could never really trust her notes, which actually WAS NOT helpful.

So, yeah, agreed. Don't ask. See if they ask YOU.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Oh and... when this movie comes out [BALL SACK] I'm watching it... HA!

Comment

I'm not repped but I bought some pitches off VPF so I'm trying that for now. I also check the websites of the places I'm sending to first. Some of them accept queries so I'll just send an email for free and save the pitch.

I've also gotten a few downloads off the blcklst website (though I haven't gotten an 8).

Anyone used Inktip? If so is it worth a damn?

Comment

Is Virtual Pitchfest a real thing?

I've heard "success" stories that mostly involved a still unsigned writer having conversations with someone who was paid for their time.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
              ...Anyone used Inktip? If so is it worth a damn?
              Their site has a list of 300+ or whatever success stories.

I've never used their script posting service, but they have a 'free newsletter' you can sign up for that gives you access to two of their more modest leads per week. We're talking low budget films, which is just fine if you are willing to squash your story into something in the $500K to $5M range.

A lot of mine can be, so for a few years I've used their meatier $60-for-four months (16 issues) 'preferred newsletter'. I always have a read or two happening, but recently I've concluded that most of the producers are really tight on funds. That includes not being interested in redeveloping $25M stories into $5M stories.

So, I'm taking some time off because of money issues, plus I would prefer to see my $25M stories as $25M stories, since that's considered 'Indie' these days and there are plenty of producers in that range if you can find them.

Comment

Originally posted by realphipps View Post
                Is Virtual Pitchfest a real thing?

I've heard "success" stories that mostly involved a still unsigned writer having conversations with someone who was paid for their time.
                I bought ten pitches and I've used three. If any good comes of it I'll be sure to post it here.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                  Their site has a list of 300+ or whatever success stories.

I've never used their script posting service, but they have a 'free newsletter' you can sign up for that gives you access to two of their more modest leads per week. We're talking low budget films, which is just fine if you are willing to squash your story into something in the $500K to $5M range.

A lot of mine can be, so for a few years I've used their meatier $60-for-four months (16 issues) 'preferred newsletter'. I always have a read or two happening, but recently I've concluded that most of the producers are really tight on funds. That includes not being interested in redeveloping $25M stories into $5M stories.

So, I'm taking some time off because of money issues, plus I would prefer to see my $25M stories as $25M stories, since that's considered 'Indie' these days and there are plenty of producers in that range if you can find them.
                  Hmm. We'll see how it goes then. I hosted mine for the minimum time (three months or whatever).

Comment

Good luck!

But here's a funny thing, and I wonder if it's true of BL and other hosting sites:

Recently, on the InkTip FaceBook page, they had a comment from a producer:
                    "Trying to get in touch with the author of xxxxxxxx script!" (I forget the title)

This made it sound like a writer had something posted, then let the listing expire, and now a producer wanted to see the thing!

I guess that's a prospect you may have to deal, with on these sites.

Comment

VPR might be a little sketchy. As I mentioned earlier, I've used three of my ten pitches. One is still out but two have responded (a few days apart).

The response is exactly the same.

Response: No thanks, but we appreciate the submission

Explanation: Nothing personal, it just didn't grab us.

Two separate management firms. Not a single word is different. Maybe they just tell VPR no and then VPR offers that as a standard response? I guess I was foolish to assume these guys are responding directly.

Comment

I don't know the services the last 10 or so posts have been about. I heard that name, used to see the ads in Creative Screenwriting magazine... but my mind reads like most of these writer things as a borderline scam. They list success stories? So does every other business trying to take your money.

A facebook post isn't proof of anything? I'll always assume the worst, like the post was made by the intern who works at InkTip and is trying to make it sound legit.

That's how I see it. Write a great script. 99% of the other ways to break in are just there to take writer's money.

Comment

The only thing that matters is the logline.

Doesn't matter if it's a query, a Nichol winner, or hanging with Gucci at party full of producers doing shots - your logline has to make them think "oh ****, I have to read that." That's hard. Really, really hard.

Execs and reps have an overwhelming stack of things to read. They read nights and weekends (the good ones that you want anyway) - the stack has drafts of client scripts, scripts incoming for clients to rewrite, for clients to direct, potential client referrals from trusted sources who have a track record, a hot new short film that's gone viral, a link to a feature that's getting buzz off a festival, an article that needs adapting that might be right for a client, comics, books etc. etc. etc. All of them are priorities. And now your query lands in their in box... It has to be "I've got way too much to get through already but I'll kick myself if I don't read that." That's the yardstick.

The odds are long but a pure query can work. HANNA was a query and the draft that sold was the query draft, no notes.

Comment

Agreed, mostly.

Although, one of these producers I did shots with agreed to read my script without a logline. But, you could argue that me telling him what it’s “about” IS a logline. I had that personal relationship (doing shots at my house). However, he just “respectfully PASSED.” Fukk! Stings.

The other high level producer I reached out to (known this dude for years) completely ghosted me.

Hence, sometimes you think you have a “connection” but, NOPE! With him, my ex used to rep him as a writer. I wouldn’t put it past her to ask him to never read anything of mine. It’s a weird scenario. He can message me DURING the Oscars, like moments before his category for best pic is called, but ghosts me when I ask him to read something. Like I’ve said... I DON’T GET THIS TOWN AND NEVER WILL.

And as always... take my advice at your own peril, it hasn’t worked.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post

And as always... take my advice at your own peril, it hasn't worked.
                              That's the quote for this entire board since 99% of us are giving each other advice and we have failed using the same advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                That's the quote for this entire board since 99% of us are giving each other advice and we have failed using the same advice!
                                Ain't that the truth!

Comment

Working...
                                X