Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First ATA agency breaks ranks

saw it on a twitter thread, yep Nagy wants to return to packaging, saying it's legal right now and the WGA never objected for 40 years.

says she wants to change the direction because "the current leadership is affecting my [Nagy] ability to make a living."

huh? how is it preventing her from making a living?
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It seems one side is saying more of the same will eventually work (which seems to have done nothing) and the other side is saying take something and get back to work.

I get both sides on paper.

Sometimes it does feel it's easy to yell at a woman. Nagy and that other lady take so much crap on twitter from writers. I don't think it's great overall. I think disagreements are great if we come together, but a lot of this fighting is coming off petty to me. Like some writers are more interested in impressing their friends than thinking about the union. Like they could just give their opinion instead of attacking others opinion. You know? Be direct.

Just from the little I understand and my feelings, it seems at the end of the day if we hold out we will lose the fight to the big 4 and packing fees. I don't see why they would give in. I think Craig Mazin was trying to say it today on his podcast with John, that's he's more worried what the big 4 agencies can become if they don't rep us anymore... like they are bad now and he doesn't see them going away, but getting in the way for writers if they aren't working for them. I see that.

It's not so cut and dry by any means.

It's like universal healthcare. It should be easy. We should all want it. But the agencies are the insurance companies making big bucks off the writers back and we can't just get rid of them so easily...

Comment

Ava Tramer has a good thread about her experience at the meet and greet that the Nagy slate had this past weekend (with responses by Phyllis to several of Ava's concerns):

https://twitter.com/avatramer/status...43075189608448

i think they largely speak for themselves (have not really helped Phyllis's cause with guild members, which was probably already a lost one even before Sunday)

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          It seems one side is saying more of the same will eventually work (which seems to have done nothing) and the other side is saying take something and get back to work.
          there are two distinct and different leadership goals:

1. current leadership wants to get rid of packaging and limit affiliate association. this is expected to lay the ground work for raising the average salaries of all writers, not just the elite and allow the middle-class writers access to higher, fairer wages. this is about everyone.

2. the opposition wants to give into packaging fees and get back to work, not sure when they stopped working. mind you this helps the top tier elite creators who are also producers the most because they can negotiate a percent of the deal, too. it does not help the staff writers whose salaries get driven down in the negotiations of the "big deal" so that the agency and producers make more money and the middle class staff writers make less and less.

and i've never heard of one showrunner that has demanded their staff be paid fairly or they won't do the deal. they have that power, and to my knowledge no one has used it.

when a showrunner says, i don't control what the studio or network pays the staff-- well, if you care that much about your staff being paid fairly, you can do something about it, before the deal is struck. even to the point of sharing a small part of your own huge payout if you really believe in the cause.

i don't get the "i can't do anything" mentality. the WGAs are in a standoff with the big four, the WGA is showing that writers CAN do something.

i do not believe giving in will help the most writers down the road.

I get both sides on paper.

Sometimes it does feel it's easy to yell at a woman. Nagy and that other lady take so much crap on twitter from writers. I don't think it's great overall. I think disagreements are great if we come together, but a lot of this fighting is coming off petty to me. Like some writers are more interested in impressing their friends than thinking about the union. Like they could just give their opinion instead of attacking others opinion. You know? Be direct.
          there's a lot at stake. it may seem petty, but the big picture is significant. the WGA has power against the big four today. other agencies are sitting back and waiting for this vote-- if the leadership remains intact, i think more mid-tier agencies will join the fight by signing a deal with the WGAs. once they do, they have the ability to become a big agency.

if the opposition wins, the WGA will have shown the big four that all they have to do, now and in the future, is wait this **** out. because writers are too weak to stand up for themselves.

this fight is about greed. unfair payment practices. and conflict of interest.

Just from the little I understand and my feelings, it seems at the end of the day if we hold out we will lose the fight to the big 4 and packing fees. I don't see why they would give in. I think Craig Mazin was trying to say it today on his podcast with John, that's he's more worried what the big 4 agencies can become if they don't rep us anymore... like they are bad now and he doesn't see them going away, but getting in the way for writers if they aren't working for them. I see that.
          the big four need access to material. if you don't have access to writers it doesn't matter how many directors or actors you have under you, it all starts with the writer. with the story. and unlike features, creators have a lot of control over their shows.
          It's not so cut and dry by any means.

It's like universal healthcare. It should be easy. We should all want it. But the agencies are the insurance companies making big bucks off the writers back and we can't just get rid of them so easily...
          i don't know. i think writers can have agents that are not in conflict with their interests. it's a new way of doing business for the writers that had agents at the big four, and may take time to acclimate to the new landscape, but i think it can be done. because every-****ing-body else has been working without packaging just fine.

and this argument, "well now you'll have to pay your agent 10%," yeah, that's the deal and that means your agent will fight harder to increase their client's salary because it's directly tied to his, instead of getting his client the bare minimum to take a huge packaging fee where the agent makes at least the same, if not more, than the creator.

i'd really like to see writers win. all writers.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Oh I only care about myself -- F those other writers! (cheeky monkey image)

I hope for the best and assume current leadership will win easily in the election.... then after 3 years of no agents we will settle for 3% more of nothing and the few writers who haven't had to quit the business to work at Trader Joes to get healthcare and pay rent will be so excited.

And of course the big established writers will still be setting up their projects like nothing changed the entire time, just saving 10%. In fact, even easier as no young writers in their way.

Good times everyone!

Comment

Oh I only care about myself -- F those other writers! (cheeky monkey image)

I hope for the best and assume current leadership will win easily in the election.... then after 3 years of no agents we will settle for 3% more of nothing and the few writers who haven't had to quit the business to work at Trader Joes to get healthcare and pay rent will be so excited.

And of course the big established writers will still be setting up their projects like nothing changed the entire time, just saving 10%. In fact, even easier as no young writers in their way.

Good times everyone!
              Ha! You're as cynical as me. Cheers!

I think the creative community made a big mistake way back when by allowing suits into the picture. Suits shouldn't have more control than creatives. It's friggin' bizarre.
              Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I pretty firmly disagree with all of this, which will come as no surprise.

First of all, all labor actions are wars of attrition. You don't give up on a strike on day two because it's "more of the same (which seems to have done nothing)." It takes, what, six months minimum to close a studio deal? So agencies won't feel the loss of revenue for <checks math> six months at a minimum, right?

I don't think anyone in leadership (or anyone in membership who was paying the slightest attention) thought we'd start get meaningful movement from the Big Four until six-twelve months went by (for a variety of reasons). We're barely halfway there. Quitting now would be like giving up on going to the gym after four months because you don't look like Jason Statham yet.

And to say it "seems to have done nothing" is... wrong? Verve signed, Kaplan Stahler signed, and Paradigm was going to sign until the Nagy letter went out. After Paradigm signs, ICM won't be more than a few months away. So, it seems to have done not "nothing" but... everything it was intended to do so far? Like, we're pretty much exactly on pace to getting everything we want?

Nagy and "that other lady" have been enormously dismissive and superior and insulting to writers in pretty much every interaction they've had with them. And it was especially fun for them to write woe-is-me letters to the trades about how some random low level writer was mean to them LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER THEY WERE PUBLICLY CALLING DAVID GOODMAN A FELON ON TWITTER.

I've noticed a couple of randos being jerks to them on twitter, but it's like 1% of the crap that Goodman (and Keyser!) get from the Nagy fans. And yet, I've never noticed Goodman or Keyser going around kvetching about how everyone is so mean to them. Like, ever.

If Phyllis and Ayelet want to have leadership positions in the Guild but can't the comparatively mild criticism they've received... oy.

I don't think there can be any legitimate question that if we hold out we will win. You don't see why the Big 4 give in? Well for one thing, they're paying millions of dollars to client-less employees to sit around and stare out the window all day. They probably won't keep doing that forever! And when agents start to be laid off, they'll go to signatories or they'll start new signatory agencies.

And when THAT happens, the entire representation landscape will change.

The B4 don't want that. So they'll either sign or see their place in the pecking order massively diminish.

In terms of specifics: ICM is, by many metrics, barely bigger than Paradigm, and when Paradigm flips, ICM's lit business will be under threat. They will have to either sign or content themselves with being a much smaller agency, and if you know anything about Chris Silbermann, you know which of those choices he will make.

When ICM flips, UTA will almost certainly flip. I doubt WME will ever flip, but if they don't, CAA might sign the Code to absorb WME's entire lit business, which would be a MASSIVE win for the agency. Or CAA may hold out for a while longer.

But eventually, everyone will sign because... well what's the alternative? Stop being agencies and get into real estate? Because those are kinda the options. You can't be a big agency with no lit, unless you're WME (because your primary business is like bullriders and investment banking).

But... we did!

Comment

the big four cancel their emmy parties...

https://deadline.com/2019/08/talent-...ff-1202667827/

interesting. i'm sure those are quite expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

Not surprising.

I remember the first year _AA canceled the Christmas party. I was like "Hmmm... sh!t's about to get super weird." Meaning CORPORATE... AF.

This is one time it would be interesting to still have the inside intel to know exactly what is being said during staff meetings. I'm convinced these meetings happen daily to discuss it and are contentious with agents like "Dude... WTF is going on? I have ZERO clients. I worked an entire career to build/service these people... not let them be poached... talk them down when they were thinking of leaving because so-and-so was in their ear. AN ENTIRE CAREER!" And leadership is like "We're gonna be fine. Don't worry. Solidarity. Your clients will come back. Promise." And the agents are like "Yeah, bruh? You sure? 'Cause I'm not convinced. And I'm getting hella antsy just sitting here playing on Twitter all day."

Are lit agents even going into the office? It's got to be a bit chaotic in there. Everyone on edge. Trust me, agents take it hard when someone big fires them.

Then again, all big4 agents are brainwashed, especially if they're lifers. So... no idea what's going on behind closed doors. Maybe all staff meetings begin with a Kool-Aid toast.

Comment

• Re: First ATA agency breaks ranks

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                      I pretty firmly disagree with all of this, which will come as no surprise.

First of all, all labor actions are wars of attrition. You don't give up on a strike on day two because it's "more of the same (which seems to have done nothing)." It takes, what, six months minimum to close a studio deal? So agencies won't feel the loss of revenue for <checks math> six months at a minimum, right?

I don't think anyone in leadership (or anyone in membership who was paying the slightest attention) thought we'd start get meaningful movement from the Big Four until six-twelve months went by (for a variety of reasons). We're barely halfway there. Quitting now would be like giving up on going to the gym after four months because you don't look like Jason Statham yet.

And to say it "seems to have done nothing" is... wrong? Verve signed, Kaplan Stahler signed, and Paradigm was going to sign until the Nagy letter went out. After Paradigm signs, ICM won't be more than a few months away. So, it seems to have done not "nothing" but... everything it was intended to do so far? Like, we're pretty much exactly on pace to getting everything we want?

Nagy and "that other lady" have been enormously dismissive and superior and insulting to writers in pretty much every interaction they've had with them. And it was especially fun for them to write woe-is-me letters to the trades about how some random low level writer was mean to them LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER THEY WERE PUBLICLY CALLING DAVID GOODMAN A FELON ON TWITTER.

I've noticed a couple of randos being jerks to them on twitter, but it's like 1% of the crap that Goodman (and Keyser!) get from the Nagy fans. And yet, I've never noticed Goodman or Keyser going around kvetching about how everyone is so mean to them. Like, ever.

If Phyllis and Ayelet want to have leadership positions in the Guild but can't the comparatively mild criticism they've received... oy.

I don't think there can be any legitimate question that if we hold out we will win. You don't see why the Big 4 give in? Well for one thing, they're paying millions of dollars to client-less employees to sit around and stare out the window all day. They probably won't keep doing that forever! And when agents start to be laid off, they'll go to signatories or they'll start new signatory agencies.

And when THAT happens, the entire representation landscape will change.

The B4 don't want that. So they'll either sign or see their place in the pecking order massively diminish.

In terms of specifics: ICM is, by many metrics, barely bigger than Paradigm, and when Paradigm flips, ICM's lit business will be under threat. They will have to either sign or content themselves with being a much smaller agency, and if you know anything about Chris Silbermann, you know which of those choices he will make.

When ICM flips, UTA will almost certainly flip. I doubt WME will ever flip, but if they don't, CAA might sign the Code to absorb WME's entire lit business, which would be a MASSIVE win for the agency. Or CAA may hold out for a while longer.

But eventually, everyone will sign because... well what's the alternative? Stop being agencies and get into real estate? Because those are kinda the options. You can't be a big agency with no lit, unless you're WME (because your primary business is like bullriders and investment banking).

But... we did!
                      Stop using facts, being thoughtful, knowing how to spell names of people and just making me look bad because I just wanted to post without any knowledge or insight. Thanks a lot!

I don't know if I agree with anything I said either. Unlike you -- I didn't read it.

I hope you're right about it all...

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

apparently they've also canceled overtime for assistants, which . . . assistants largely exist because of overtime

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                          apparently they've also canceled overtime for assistants, which . . . assistants largely exist because of overtime
                          yikes... how many assistants you gather there are? not sure i'd like to be one. seems they'd be the first to let go, no?

it's amazing that no "rumors" are getting out.

i'm guessing the need the overtime because they're overworked and get paid so shitty-- great message, while all the top tier make millions. lovely.

Comment

Assistants weren't treated well... ever. The only reason to do that work is to one day be an agent or get a leg in the industry. The movie swimming with sharks seems very accurate.

But yup that's what they do. Punish the people whose lives are just as bad as the writers fighting for more. See what they do??? They will do this for years before they give us what we want. I'm sorry, but that's sadly how it seems to work these days in all these things...

Teachers can't even get pencils and books. But we have new army tanks and jets to use. But the people that fly them when they get out of uniform can't get good healthcare....

It's never going to be good. Let's face it. The American dream is dead.

Okay, I'm cheered up. Hey everybody, let's get laid!

Comment

Yup... assistants have never been treated well. I remember those days, hoping the agent would get a good bonus so they would kick down and we'd have a decent Christmas. We all know that assistant's bonuses come from the agent's bonus, yeah? I think the most I ever heard of was $5,000. To wrap that thought up, I would guess that most agents are anxious come bonus time and don't have a good sense of whether or not they'll feel they got fukked on this year's bonus. And it's a lot of money to count on not knowing what it's gonna be. If they think you underperformed or the agency didn't perform it could be the difference in $50,000... or more.

As for cuts. Yup, I imagine they'd start with assistants (since they don't technically MAKE the company money). Probably stating the obvious, but I think they'd let the big agents keep their assistant, make mid-levels share one, and fire all assistants working for newer agents. But, doing that, in my mind, would send the message to big writers that "WE REALLY DON'T CARE IF YOU COME BACK."

But, yeah, it's odd that there's been very little gossip and almost no agents jumping ship. What do they know that we don't?

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                                But, yeah, it's odd that there's been very little gossip and almost no agents jumping ship. What do they know that we don't?
                                big agencies have been mafia-esque since the days of Lew Wasserman and Sidney Korshak at MCA -- Ovitz certainly acted like the Godfather of CAA at his zenith

but mostly i think it's just the timing of events. staffing season came and went without any significant disruption for TV writers. the Big 4 can absorb that kind of hit and even the mid-tiers. i would look more to how they start acting as development and pilot season rolls around and shows sell without any agents attached to them

Comment

Working...
                                X