Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot submission

I met a showrunner who is letting submit a spec/pilot. I wrote a pilot 10 years ago for someone else. I never got paid for writing it. The pilot is right up the alley of the show and it reads very well. Can I submit this script? It's been a while since I've pursued TV. Can't remember if there's a rule against this.

Re: Pilot submission

Originally posted by Anointed View Post
    I met a showrunner who is letting submit a spec/pilot. I wrote a pilot 10 years ago for someone else. I never got paid for writing it. The pilot is right up the alley of the show and it reads very well. Can I submit this script? It's been a while since I've pursued TV. Can't remember if there's a rule against this.
    well, if you wrote it for someone else, don't they hold the copyright? were you employed by them. is that the understanding? were you expecting to get paid and they didn't pay you or you were developing with the idea of a later pay date?

did you register the script or did they? i think it's about who believes they hold the copyright. then if you do, you'd be safe to move forward. but the last thing you want to have happen is if you don't verify who owns the copyright, it could come back and an uncomfortable situation.

oh geez, ignore me. didn't register that it's a "sample" of your writing.
    Last edited by finalact4; 08-19-2019, 05:31 AM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Meh... I'll send my sh!t to anyone who asks for it. SEND IT!

Meaning: If I ain't got a CONTRACT with you, this sh!t is "MINE."

All notes go with me... BYE!

Good luck!
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

You're fine, go ahead and submit it as a sample. It's not like you're actually shopping around this script in hopes of getting the show made. I wouldn't worry!

Comment

I detect on this board a hesitancy to consult a lawyer.

Even when you sign with a rep or do a zero dollar option with a producer, and they describe it as a "handshake deal", and even if you don't talk to an attorney, you can bet that they are having a chat with their on-staff lawyer. And 'theirs' will be doing a Chain of Title search to protect their side.

If the rare case that they aren't doing this, and you aren't, then you deserve each other. Welcome to the world of grief!
          Last edited by catcon; 08-19-2019, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anointed View Post
            Love to hear more of this story and how this came about. I assume you mean submit a sample and they will consider staffing you on their show correct?

Or did you mean he mentioned your old idea and he/she may want to develop your old script into a series if they like it?

Comment

Working...
            X