Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else notice this?

I was looking through the manager listings here on DDP for ones interested in psychological crime-thrillers and I noted that quite a few of the recent options/purchases that several reputable managers have with clients are science fiction in one fashion or another. A lot of them are quite recent, and I'm wondering if this is just because sci-fi is generally well-received, or if studios are gearing up for competition with Disney launching a continuation of the Star Wars saga. Some dates were from before the official announcement, and obviously a number of these deals will fall through before production actually begins, but it was just a thought that occurred to me.

Personally, I see sci-fi as something that can be brought up at any time, whereas something like crime and slasher-horror is more occasional and only sees a 'renaissance' moment every decade or so (slashers were big in the 70s, Scream revitalized them in the 90s, and they had a short-lived comeback the past five or six years starting w/ Rob Zombie's Halloween duology). While slashers are made, very few make a name for themselves like Scream, Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm St. have.

Whereas I see sci-fi movies come out every year, but only hear about a couple deals in the year they were accepted. But now I'm seeing a whole bunch of sci-fi deals right around the time SW VII-IX is announced. Coincidence?

Then again, I could also be reading the dates wrong. I mainly look at the genre and the logline, not so much the dates. So I might just be seeing the accumulation of several years with some managers....

Re: Anyone else notice this?

Crime is always in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
      Crime is always in.
      Guess I'm just not finding the right managers, then. I've been going through the DDP lists and can't find ones with recent sales (and thus, imo, interest) in crime scripts. I asked in Agents, Managers, & Lawyers for suggestions, but had no answers, leaving me to scan DDP listings. Some of the 'interest' listings are deals from three or four years ago. Do I just contact every manager on the list, despite them having no listed interest in crime scripts? Because I always thought I needed to target those with a stated/listed interest....

Comment

JB,

I'm not quite clear on what you are doing or not, but if you go to our ARCHIVES and run a search for say the last three years for deals involving the CRIME genre (in some form or another) there are around 170 projects. And listed with those deals are various managers and/or management firms that repped the writers. During the same time frame -- last three years -- there are 727 THRILLER deals listed.

As I think will be frequently noted, reps in particular are looking for talented writers & great material they can represent vs. specific genres. Not saying some are not more biased or focused on a certain genres, but when they are looking to sell something they want great product they can move as much as anything. Thus for you, don't overly limit yourself in terms of who you contact. Give various managers a shot to at least see.

On the other hand, companies will spend a great deal of time (years) with the material and have to be passionate about a genre, feel they can do something with a particular genre, develop it, be immersed in it, etc. thus they will generally be more particular about certain genres relative to reps.
        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 01-06-2013, 06:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

This is great resource...I have a Family Christmas Comedy with fantasy elements. Can I search for that? lol.
          • Go and do likewise gents..

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
            This is great resource...I have a Family Christmas Comedy with fantasy elements. Can I search for that? lol.
            Sure, if you are asking about our site as a resource. I just did a quick search with the word "Christmas" in the Logline field and approx. 90 projects came up. You can also run searches by genre too, including Family, Comedy or Fantasy. You might need to run a few cross searches but you should see various projects in the vein of what you've written. Hope that helps.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
              Sure, if you are asking about our site as a resource. I just did a quick search with the word "Christmas" in the Logline field and approx. 90 projects came up. You can also run searches by genre too, including Family, Comedy or Fantasy. You might need to run a few cross searches but you should see various projects in the vein of what you've written. Hope that helps.
              thanks, it helps alot. I didn't realize I could narrow it down that far and detailed.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
                thanks, it helps alot. I didn't realize I could narrow it down that far and detailed.
                You bet.

And yes, you can really narrow a search down as much as you like. If you fill in every single field with something that is absolutely related to the same deal you could in theory go directly to that deal and that deal only. Now the more info/fields you include in a search, the narrower it gets quickly but you could run a search asking for all the Horror projects written by John Doe who was repped by WME that Universal set up with Bay Films attached to produce for seven figures between March 2003 and April 2010, if you wanted. Generally I recommend only entering a couple of elements each time but really up to you and what you are looking for. Also, if you get say too many results for what you needed, you could then go back and add more details to include in the search to slowly whittle it down to what you need.
                Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 01-09-2013, 08:31 PM.
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan_Bentz View Post
                  But now I'm seeing a whole bunch of sci-fi deals right around the time SW VII-IX is announced. Coincidence?
                  Yes, coincidence.

Sci-fi has seen something of a resurgence the last five or ten years. It has nothing to do with Star Wars. I have theories for why this has happened -- sci-fi is one of those things that can elevate a concept, twist something we've seen before -- but they're just theories.

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                    You bet.

And yes, you can really narrow a search down as much as you like. If you fill in every single field with something that is absolutely related to the same deal you could in theory go directly to that deal and that deal only. Now the more info/fields you include in a search, the narrower it gets quickly but you could run a search asking for all the Horror projects written by John Doe who was repped by WME that Universal set up with Bay Films attached to produce for seven figures between March 2003 and April 2010, if you wanted. Generally I recommend only entering a couple of elements each time but really up to you and what you are looking for. Also, if you get say too many results for what you needed, you could then go back and add more details to include in the search to slowly whittle it down to what you need.
                    thanks Will, I just need to see who(and when) is buying Famil Christmas Comedys. There is fantasy element (elfs,santa,north pole, etc), so not sure if fantasy element is a cat that can be searched, so I think that is what was screwing it up.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
                      Yes, coincidence.

Sci-fi has seen something of a resurgence the last five or ten years. It has nothing to do with Star Wars. I have theories for why this has happened -- sci-fi is one of those things that can elevate a concept, twist something we've seen before -- but they're just theories.
                      EVERYTHING has to do with Star Wars in my world! I'm a fan, and on a lifelong mission to shake Georges hand some day.

Comment

Working...
                      X