Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privacy when writing

(This question doesn't really fit the subject of this subforum, but there's no subforum on DD that this would fit in. I've said it before, we should have a misc subforum put in.)

I feel very uncomfortable when I'm writing having someone be able to see what I'm writing, whether I'm writing notes or the actual screenplay.

It doesn't matter whether its a stranger in a public space or a family member at home, it bothers me.

I thought this was just particular to me, but I heard someone say something recently that kind of vaguely suggested possibly feeling the same way.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Re: Privacy when writing

When I first started writing in LA, I had this issue. I didn't want to be seen as just another idiot in a coffee shop trying to write a screenplay.

Then I got over it. Mostly by focusing on the work and not focusing on what other people think of me or what I'm doing.

I don't know what's triggering your insecurity of having people glance at what you're working on, so I guess the answer is either work someplace you have complete privacy or push it out of your mind. If you really want to be a professional writer, you're going to have to deal with a lot bigger issues that nosy people peeking at your computer.

Comment

Don't write in the presence of others. At the very least, sit in a corner and face the room so no one can see what you're working on. It doesn't seem strange to me that you would find it difficult to concentrate when others are paying attention to what you're doing and may kill your flow by interrupting you.
      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
        Don't write in the presence of others. At the very least, sit in a corner and face the room so no one can see what you're working on. It doesn't seem strange to me that you would find it difficult to concentrate when others are paying attention to what you're doing and may kill your flow by interrupting you.
        I'm not looking for advice, I can find privacy just fine, I'm wondering whether anyone else feels this way.

This is not about concentration, tho, its more.... I don't know, I think maybe something like shyness, I'm not sure. But its definitely not about concentration. Its not wanting people to see what I'm writing. If people were looking at me but unable to see my computer screen or see what I'm writing in a notebook that wouldn't bother me.

So its about people not seeing what I'm writing. If there's people watching me or talking around me that doesn't bother me, that's not what this is about.

Comment

I don't get spooked but do get a little irritated. People do look at the screen, ask what I do, I'm polite and we end up burning time talking about whatever. So I don't typically write in public but sometimes.

An easy solution is to get a privacy screen for your laptop and always wear headphones.

Comment

I hate it when people watch me write. I'm not even a fan of most people being able to see the screen and read over my shoulder. At one point I couldn't write if there was another person in the room watching me, even if they couldn't see what I was writing, but I can now write around other people as long as they don't look over my shoulder.

The exception to this is when I'm collaborating with someone. Then I don't care, obviously, because we're doing the writing together.

I don't know, I just generally hate to be seen "in process" on things. Back when I was acting consistently I hated it when unexpected people came to rehearsals, too. I could get past it, but it was really irritating.

I also tend to do most of my best work while I'm rewriting, so I get self-conscious that if someone sees my first draft when I'm not ready for them they'll just see a bunch of crap.

Edit: I think it's like, it feels almost like letting someone watch me change clothes. There are some people and circumstances where I'm fine with that, but generally I'd prefer if everyone just saw me in complete outfits.

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
              Edit: I think it's like, it feels almost like letting someone watch me change clothes. There are some people and circumstances where I'm fine with that, but generally I'd prefer if everyone just saw me in complete outfits.
              I was gonna say: it's like a stranger watching you jerk off. I like your analogy better.

I don't like writing around people and never will. I like to be alone [in the house/hotel room/wherever] or have the person [my chick] asleep.

I believe the creation of most [all?] art is best served for privacy.
              DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri001 View Post
                (This question doesn't really fit the subject of this subforum, but there's no subforum on DD that this would fit in. I've said it before, we should have a misc subforum put in.)

I feel very uncomfortable when I'm writing having someone be able to see what I'm writing, whether I'm writing notes or the actual screenplay.

It doesn't matter whether its a stranger in a public space or a family member at home, it bothers me.

I thought this was just particular to me, but I heard someone say something recently that kind of vaguely suggested possibly feeling the same way.

Does anyone else feel this way?
                Absolutely. I can't stand having other people around when I'm working. The entire notion of someone who takes his computer or his writing pad or whatever, leaves the comfort (and presumably the privacy) of his own home, goes out, finds a public place like a coffee shop, and proceeds to intentionally do his work there, in the midst of other people talking and walking around and potentially looking over his shoulder at what he's doing seems like utter madness.

In fact, I generally like to get to work either when the house is empty in the morning when everyone's gone or late at night when everybody's asleep because that way I know that nobody's going to knock on my door and interrupt me.

I absolutely can't stand having people being around me or bothering me when I work. (and by bothering me I mean being around me).

NMS

Comment

I used to have this problem. Somebody else walked into the room and I would need to switch windows.

Now it doesn't bother me. I write in a big room full of writers, with my back to the room, every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                    I used to have this problem. Somebody else walked into the room and I would need to switch windows.
                    Like... you'd procrastinate by staring off into space out a different window? Good tip.

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                    Now it doesn't bother me. I write in a big room full of writers, with my back to the room, every day.
                    In what capacity?
                    DOPE CITY

Comment

It does not bother me at all to work in an open area, provided that people either know what I am doing and will not ask me questions, or the environment is such that they do not take a particular interest in my activity. I am really not concerned that they will take a quick glance at what I am doing, as long as they do not become pests. (Pretty girls get a pass to pester me as much as they want!)

Even more, I enjoy working in a spacious area where I hear some voices and see some people.

A really long time ago I worked in a university public relations news room where other people were banging away on typewriters and ripping copy out to give to the secretaries for retyping, copying, and mailing. There was the noise of typing, talking, and telephones ringing. It was really not all that loud, but it was noise.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

For the folks who ARE bothered by it, it seems from most of the responses that its for different reasons than me.

For me what bothers me is not noise or distractions, it is specifically a matter of privacy, its as if I'm embarrassed to have people see my thoughts, I'm shy about it. So its a very specific reason. Its not distraction or noise.

I've no problem writing in a roomful of people, as long as the computer screen is facing hte wall and no one can see what I'm writing.

Maybe sometimes hearing an individual conversation will distract me, but that's a different thing than what I'm talking about.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is is anyone shy or embarrassed to have people SEE what you are writing, as you are doing it (as opposed to when its done). Not because its not as good as when it will be done, but because... well, I'm not even sure why, exactly, to be honest. For some reason I'm just shy about people seeing what I'm writing as I'm writing it.

Comment

I get what you're saying about being embarrassed. I never liked writing scripts in public, and generally keep that at home unless I absolutely have to write somewhere else. But I have no problems privacy-wise writing other things at libraries or coffee shops. I'm a freelance writer and can do that work anywhere without caring if people see what I'm doing. With scripts, I feel like I'm being judged. It's completely irrational, of course, but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri001 View Post

So, I suppose what I'm asking is is anyone shy or embarrassed to have people SEE what you are writing, as you are doing it (as opposed to when its done).
                            Why would ANYONE want someone to see what they are writing when its not done? No one wants that.

People are idiots and will ask dumb, idiotic questions that make you start questioning why you are including A, B, C, and D when you aren't even done writing A, B, C, and D yet. People are idiots and will pontificate what you should be writing, instead of what you are writing. People are idiots with idiotic ideas and they will shred your thoughts and shaky confidence until you start to then question, gee, why am I writing this? Then, all the sudden, the burgeoning passion you had for this idea is somehow tarnished. Gone. Poof! Because that person's idiotic voice and thoughts are now in your head. All because an idiot's trying to see what you're writing. People are just plain idiots.

There is no upside to someone reading what you are writing as you are writing it. NONE.

Even Stephen King, in his book On Writing, says he writes first with the "door closed" and later on with the "door opened." Meaning, you have to get stuff down first, see how you feel about it, work it out, way, way before you're ever ready to show it to anyone in order to get feedback.

SO... why worry if you are "shy" about someone seeing your writing as you are writing it? They shouldn't be seeing it. Tell them to eff off!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X