Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La La Land

saw this at Austin last month but forgot to post a review. not much to say other than, as the title implies, it is pure Hollywood magic. at once it manages to be a love letter to the golden age of musicals in the 40s and 50s, while also standing on its own as a 21st-century "Singing In the Rain" (or, here, Sun).

Sebastian and Mia are, respectively, a jazz pianist and actress who have spent a decade in Los Angeles pursuing their dreams without much apparent success. when they meet, it becomes the age-old question of who will reach their dream first and what will be the cost to the other if he/she doesn't? never settling for easy or cliched answers, but posing the questions in one gorgeous musical number after another, La La Land (like the city itself, if you're one of its infinite dreamers) will put a smile on your face even as it breaks your heart.

Re: La La Land

The trailer alone looks interesting. You certainly pushed me in the direction of seeing it 1st chance.

Comment

Went to a SAG screening of it last week at the Arclight. Loved it.

The audience seemed to love it as well - pure escapist fun in the best sense!

It's as much a love letter to Los Angeles itself too. Identifying all the locations was part of the fun as well.

Comment

Saw this last night. Ripped me apart. What a movie. Gorgeous frames. Beautifully filmed.

Comment

Sooooo looking forward to seeing this one!!

I have only seen the trailers but from what is there the cinematography looks astounding!

Comment

Beautiful.

Comment

I adored it and admired it and it made me cry. And I'm usually a hard case when it comes to "sentimental" movies.
              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Loved every minute! This film, Moonlight, and Captain Fantastic are my favorites of the year.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Oh, good, LateNightWriter. Hope to see Moonlight, and I'm seeing Captain Fantastic tonight.

Comment

Great film!

Comment

Pure magic, fantastic music, lovely in all respects... and this from a person who hates musicals!

Comment

Me and my friends seem to be in the minority that didn't love this. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. But the way it was being hyped up I was expecting more. It's another Oscar winner that will be washed away in five years. This is coming from someone who thought Whiplash was one of the best films in the last few years but this was a bit empty in comparison.

Comment

That happens to me more often than not--all the hype lifts my expectations too high to ever be met, and I swear I'll never see a film just on glowing reviews, professional or personal ones.

I remember a lot of hype about Into the Woods (the Meryl Streep Cinderella film) a few years ago. Sitting in the theater, I thought I was gonna die I hated it so badly, and swore I'd never see another musical. For some reason though, I just loved La La Land.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                            Me and my friends seem to be in the minority that didn't love this. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. But the way it was being hyped up I was expecting more. It's another Oscar winner that will be washed away in five years. This is coming from someone who thought Whiplash was one of the best films in the last few years but this was a bit empty in comparison.
                            I didn't love it. Since I seemed to be the only one, I wondered if it was because I had a headache, was in a bad mood, etc. I felt like it was two different films: a zany musical comedy that turned into a relationship drama. I really liked the first two-thirds but then it took a shift in tone I really wasn't expecting.

That said, I plan to watch it again, when I don't have a headache.

I was also disappointed in LOVING, another film I'd eagerly anticipated seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post

I was also disappointed in LOVING, another film I'd eagerly anticipated seeing.

I felt the same way, though I seem to be in the minority. In particular, I thought Mr. Loving, the husband, was portrayed almost as a parenthetical device in the film.

Comment

Working...
                              X