Writers, have some humility for Chri$ts sake...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writers, have some humility for Chri$ts sake...

Ok, to start off, I AM A writer. But I'm also a development exec. I know a good amount of you on here personally, so I have to share a little advice I can only hope a lot of you don't do. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while, but I had assumed was common knowledge... but apparently this is not the case.

First off - good lord, PLEASE use some humility when selling your work, or yourself as a writer. I don't care if you tell me your the next greatest thing to hit Hollywood, or that your script is going to change the game.

--Telling me, I'll win an oscar for directing or producing your work will NOT make me want to read it. Truth be told, chances are I just put it down and walked away.

--Sending me a million casting decisions upon our first or second email, or telling me your brother is attached to this character, etc. etc. is seriously not helping. Truth is the more "attachments" that have no meaning to a project make it even more and more unattractive.

--Demanding phone calls to "discuss" material is NOT ok. Especally if I don't know you.

--This may just be me, but I have no need for your WGA #. If it isn't registered, that's your problem, not mine.

--Sending a screenplay with handwritten notes is absolutely NOT acceptable. Seriously? Seriously???

--You should only ever send scripts in PDF format. Not FD or MM, but PDF. IT is the only accepted format with most everyone (ask first). And NEVER EVER EVER send a script in microsoft word. That is extremely amateur, and I can promise that 99% of the people who open that will in turn delete the file, because if you're not commitetd enough to either download, steal or buy a copy of screenwriting software, then why should they read your work? This is actually a bigger problem then a lot of you think. Seriously NEVER send anything in word. PDF only.

--Don't bludgeon your email with a long list of "could have beens" or "may be interesteds". Unless something is firmly commited, it just looks desperate. I don't care that someone at WMA may be reading, or some tv star read it once because her dogwalker is your cousin. Seriously, it distracts from the script itself.

--Another very weird thing recently someone (in the business) queried me. I responded and was then bounced back this email

"I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.
    To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.
    If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.
    Click the link below to fill out the request:"

There was then a link for you to go to and fill out all of your contact info. ARE YOU SERIOUS? NEVER EVER EVER EVER make it difficult for someone who could be requesting your work to contact you. Did I fill out all of this guys info? no.

--DO NOT tell someone your script is based on a critically acclaimed novel, only to later reveal the "novel" is actually a manuscript sitting at your house that your mom (critic) loves. It's not based on a novel if the novel has never been published, ok.

--And if you've been lucky enough to score a read from an agent/etc. thanks to a friends connection, do NOT send them a list of your 50 scripts that you've written. Seriously, if you show anyone your 50 scripts that's a HORRIBLE sign. IT shows you've written 50 scripts, and no one has wanted one. That's shorting yourself immediately. So, if you're in this opportunity, please only have 1-2 projects (your best work) to present, and know your other work so that you can pull it out at a whim. BUT do not say you have this many, it's a BAD move.

--And for fvks sake, cap the page count on 120. ANYTHING over is just too dang long. Seriously, even 120 is pushing the bar. And this I KNOW will get your script thrown away.

EVEN if you tell me I'm going to win an Oscar :-)

Re: Writers, have some humility for Chri$ts sake...

Thanks for these thoughts, velly interesting.

Oh, and I've removed my spam filter so that shouldn't happen again.

-Derek
    My Web Page - sci-fi, fantasy, horror, cyborgs, AIs, dragons, vampyres.
    Hearts and kidneys are tinker toys! I am talking about the central nervous system!

Comment

Thanks a bunch. Good reminders and perhaps sticky-note worthy to help newbies???
      Cesahr
      www.Baggagethefilm.com
      "I could be wrong, and I probably am."

Comment

rock if you didnt want to read my intergalactic trilogy (a brilliant cross b/n pirates of the carib and lassie) you couldve just said so.

this was just rude.

ill win my oscar w/out you.

p.s. prick: i sent a copy of my script to myself via certified mail. i got it timestamped and uploaded on a secure server. and i registered it thru LoC & WGA. so dont even think about screwing me over w this! bastard.

Comment

It's not based on a novel if the novel has never been published.
          Love it.

Comment

Comment

Fun and good read, Rock.
              A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
              Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
              Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Great stuff, rock!

Comment

Rock,
                  Great post.
                  It's funny about mentioning potential casting. I had a producer option a script of mine (free, my usual "quote", and I'm worth every penny ). He called me up, started asking me who I was thinking of for the two leads when I wrote it. I really didn't want to sound like an amateur, but who the hell is thinking of fourth rung actors when they write? So I was sort of dripping with fear that I would sound like a complete 12 year old, you know? All you ever hear is DO NOT MAKE CASTING SUGGESTIONS, you kow?
                  A week later he calls me up, starts asking what I thought about flipping the races of some characters. Again, I had a definite opinion, but was terrified I'd seem like , well, the people you just described.

Again, great post. Thanks.

Comment

There goes my whole strategy...
                    Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of saleable screenplays. WHO WILL JOIN ME!

Comment

Gee, why not just post my PMs next time.

To pile on, I'd like to see more people, in general, everywhere, showing a bit more humility. Thanks for the post.
                      Don't repeat it; create it.

Comment

Externally = Humility.

Internally = The most confident, I'm the sh1t, get outta my way, my pockets are gonna be full of money, watch my stuff on the big screen, thinkin' ba$tard!

Respectfully and warmly,

Corona
                        I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                        I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

I would only take exception to this:
                          Originally posted by rockridesva View Post
                          --You should only ever send scripts in PDF format. Not FD or MM, but PDF. IT is the only accepted format with most everyone (ask first). And NEVER EVER EVER send a script in microsoft word. That is extremely amateur, and I can promise [snip].
                          Everyone I've dealt with who accepts emailed scripts has no problem accepting scripts emailed in FD and, yes, word.

That said, I'd suggest sending hard copies unless specifically asked otherwise. It's a courteous thing to do.
                          ==========

Comment

Rock - side question. Without revealing actual titles you've developed (to protect your identity) could you give us an idea of what types of material/genre you're looking for in specs?

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

A couple good points brought up - Yes an FD document is ok (as it's the most widespread formatting software amongst producers/directors -not saying everyone, but it is fact I believe that every producer I know uses fdr. If I'm wrong, this is not the post to fight it out on :-) Just be sure you protect it so it can not be tampered with.

And casting - if you are ASKED, it is more then ok to offer up ideas, just DON'T tell someone ideas right off the bat. It's not good form.

And Qaz, since I like you, I won't steal the story (haha) So go out and win an oscar with it already, will ya.

And Sc111 - who I am is pretty easy to find out on this board. It's been revealed a few times over now. As far as specs, honestly, I'm not looking right now. Why? Because I have a stack that will take me until the new year to actually get through. And projects sent over from agencies/studios every week to top it off. And, right now our slate is full.
                              Last edited by rockridesva; 10-31-2006, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X