Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like an alien invasion to me. Run for the hills!

Comment

I <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> told<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> him not to sit in front of the ball-return.

Comment

sent script to icm. they liked it, asked to see more. took five weeks

zilla

Comment

Congrats . . . who at ICM got the lucky read?

Comment

caa, endeavor, icm, uta, wma

I was set up on a blind date with a woman who turned out to be an agent's assistant at CAA. I felt uncomfortable admitting that I was an aspiring screenwriter, but when I finally mentioned it, she said that she would be glad to read anything I had. So we ended up back at my place, and she asked to read my script right then and there. I let her read it, as I waited in my bedroom. My script is a comedy, and I felt relieved when I heard her laughing. I popped my head out, and tears were streaming down her face. She told me this was the funniest script she had read in months, and she called her boss -- this was at 10 o'clock on a Friday night. She was so jazzed about my script that she told him he'd have to read my script that weekend. He said he wanted to meet her for breakfast the next morning, so he could read it. I thanked the assistant profusely, then she said, "Now you owe me one," and proceeded to have her way with me. Suffice to say, we slept for about two hours, then met her boss at Hugo's for breakfast. He read the script at the table, and half-way through said, "I can tell this is great. I'd like to show this to some people." Wow -- couldn't believe my luck. This was by far the best date I'd ever been on.

But then, a month later, both the assistant and the agent weren't returning my phone calls. I finally confronted the assistant in the CAA parking garage (I work as a messsenger), and asked her what was up. She coldly stated, "I don't think there's anything else we can do for you."

Comment

Re: caa, endeavor, icm, uta, wma

Note to self: don't sleep with gregdodson.

Comment

greg, did you skip a paragraph?

the agent liked it, but never got back to you? Not even to ask for another script? seems like something went terribly wrong...

Comment

cold-blooded or focused?

I have heard of similar experiences (without the date and sex, of course) and had one happen to me with an ICM agent (without the date and ... you know).

Sometimes agents at that level will read a script and see a potential use for it and be all hot for the script -- until they run it by some people, find out it's not going to work out for that potential use.

And it's not unusual for such agents at high levels to then be finished with the script and the individual who submitted it. It's no longer a potential hot property to them and they've already shouted, "next!"

However, assistants are usually better about tact and diplomacy and covering their boss's tracks. I got daily calls from the ICM agent about my script, with him rattling off all his huge ideas and plans, as he waited for "somebody else" to read it -- and then the calls simply stopped coming. I put in a few calls which he didn't return, though his assistant was always smooth as silk and "nice guy" about it. But it was clear, the agent wasn't going to ever let me know what happened -- I was left to connect the dots and go away on my own.

And I've heard similar stories from others.

Comment

Re: cold-blooded or focused?

labtest,

that's I odd. I would have thought that even if they passed on one script, they would try take a look at your other scripts, just for the fact that they want to cover their butts in case you come up with another gem (you obviously had written something they thought had potential, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with calls to begin with). I had met some writers, who at least walked away with a contact and were able to submit their new scripts to the agent for consideration.

PS: another question, that "somebody else", was another agent in the agency or a producer?

Comment

caa, endeavor, icm, uta, wma

If agents or assistants all of a sudden are dodging your calls, or never returning calls, that must mean that their interest has cooled off. Nobody likes to be the bearer of bad news. They would rather just avoid you altogether.

After that experience, I sent the same script to one of those script evaluation services. It cost $500 to do a full evaluation. The guy who did it claimed he would be able to pass the script along to his contacts in the industry, but that the script needed work. So he charged me by the hour over the phone for script notes to "improve" it. It was $100 per hour. I churned out another draft, he read it, and said the script was "almost" there. More phone notes. So by now I've spent well over $1500. He said the script was ready, but I had to send more money to cover "administrative" costs, such as making copies and sending out query letters. By this time, I realized I could send out query letters on my own. I decided to cut my losses.

Comment

Gregdodson

Oooouch. That's a bad story. Sorry to hear it!!

Comment

Hey, would feel comfortable telling me who that guy was? If you think this guy was scamming, then maybe you can help others not go down the same road.

Sorry to hear about your experience with this guy.

Comment

shades of gray

slug line --

you'd think somebody would want to keep the door open for future projects, and honestly, probably in his pov not ever telling me "no" may in his weird world may have been his way of not closing the door.

he is a top agent who reps some of the biggest names in screenwriting. my guess is that he didn't want to get involved with a new writer, but my script came close to plugging in a need within the agency. he discussed very specific talent and seemed to be under the impression that if he didn't talk to me daily, somebody else would snap up the script. my guess is the agent who represented the talent said "No this isn't what she's looking for," and that ended the issue from the agent's pov.

Comment

script evaluation

I sent my script to an evaluation service back in 1997. It was some guy based in Delaware, so that should have been a tip-off that he wasn't really plugged in to the industry. It was an expensive lesson.

Comment

agents, etc.

So, by now, I think I read that they've taken your body *and* your money.

I hope at least one of them was enjoyable.

Seriously, there may be a saving grace to all of the above. You never did mention if you felt after you spent the money to the service, *if* you felt you had a better script out of it???

Just wondering if anything good came out of that lousy experience.

Oh, yeah, was the bedroom stuff any good?

Comment

Working...
                                X