Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a call from Comedy Central

So recently, through a series of minor miracles, a sitcom script of mine got into the hands of an assistant at Comedy Central. The assistant liked it enough to pass it on to an exec, that exec passed it on to another, and it eventually rose through the ranks until I received an actual phone call from Gary Mann, head of original development for the channel. He was really polite and encouraging, but it was ultimately a polite pass. (Though he said he wants to "keep the lines of communication open." While this is great and validating, it don't change the fact I'm still unemployed. Is it possible to somehow parlay this into landing a writing job? Should I try to mention this in a query letter even though nothing came of it? I've been told 'a man like Gary Mann doesn't call if he's not interested.' Which is great, but at the end of the day, it's still just talk. But it has to count for something... right?

Two weeks back this script was #2 on Talentville (and #1 was my "It's Always Sunny in Philly" spec.) I know these credits are nothing concrete but they're really all I've got. Is there a way to use this in trying to land an agent or manager?
    "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
    - C. Montgomery Burns

Re: I got a call from Comedy Central

"Wow, Gary. Thanks, that's great that you made the effort to let me know personally. I know you're busy and you didn't have to. It means a lot to me. Even though this is a pass, would you know an agent or manager that you might be able to refer it to, since I'm unrepped at this point?"

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
      So recently, through a series of minor miracles, a sitcom script of mine got into the hands of an assistant at Comedy Central. The assistant liked it enough to pass it on to an exec, that exec passed it on to another, and it eventually rose through the ranks until I received an actual phone call from Gary Mann, head of original development for the channel. He was really polite and encouraging, but it was ultimately a polite pass. (Though he said he wants to "keep the lines of communication open." While this is great and validating, it don't change the fact I'm still unemployed. Is it possible to somehow parlay this into landing a writing job? Should I try to mention this in a query letter even though nothing came of it? I've been told 'a man like Gary Mann doesn't call if he's not interested.' Which is great, but at the end of the day, it's still just talk. But it has to count for something... right?

Two weeks back this script was #2 on Talentville (and #1 was my "It's Always Sunny in Philly" spec.) I know these credits are nothing concrete but they're really all I've got. Is there a way to use this in trying to land an agent or manager?

I would NOT let the door close with Gary at CC. He did take the time to reach out to you, i don't know this as fact, but it's just a wacky hypothesis theory of mine, but sometimes, perhaps, just maybe, people call you to "feel you out", get a vibe from you, see how you react. After all, it's pretty big business and decision these execs make to bring somebody in, and they know the levity of it as well (the execs).

Did this JUST go down? firstly, I would contact the assist. that passed it through the ranks, and give them a status update. If you have their phone # I think a call would be best. "hey jonny/sally assistant, me gridlock(transformers reference and attempt at humor)...I don't know if you were aware or not, but I got a call from Gary himself yesterday! Did you know this? or...so yea, I wanted to personally thank you for reading it, and for liking it enough to pass on to others...did you happen to get any other feedback about why it was a pass? I didn't feel comfortable, or I just was intimidated to get more info from him why..maybe you can shed some light? Also, hey, I have other stuff I'd love to forward to you....tell me more about YOU, how you go there, what you do,, etc.

Get them talking about themselves, people love that, it's great relationship building skill.

So to answer your question, a pass is a pass I guess, not much you can do with that, because others will say..uhhh, okay, so if they passed on it, why would I buy it? I know, it sucks.

I would also send a snail mail thank you letter to all parties for at least taking the time to read and consider your work. That probably doesn't happen often, and people remember that kind of thing. At least I know I do when I get something like that unexpected in the mail.

good luck!
      • Go and do likewise gents..

Comment

Reach out to the assistant that originally read your script. Give him the update that Gary called you, and say thank you so much. Then ask him if he has any friends at management companies or agencies that he could share it with. Give him the chance to champion your script to those reps (because it makes him look good).

Best,

MB
        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Also, be aware about what Comedy Central has in development and when they start staffing. You don't need an agent to try to get a general (maybe that assistant can hook it up), but I do think it's important to have a reason to go in - possibly staffing on a show of theirs that you think you have a voice for would be one.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            "Wow, Gary. Thanks, that's great that you made the effort to let me know personally. I know you're busy and you didn't have to. It means a lot to me. Even though this is a pass, would you know an agent or manager that you might be able to refer it to, since I'm unrepped at this point?"
            Yeah, that's what I shoulda said. It all happened so fast!
            - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

All the advice above is excellent--especially reaching out to the assistants.
              Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

And to Micheal and Christopher,

I did call back and I had a nice chat with the assistant. I wanted to thank him above all since he's the one who got the ball rolling. If it weren't for him taking the time to read and recommend it, it wouldn't have gotten anywhere. He actually seemed a little shocked when I called back to speak to him. I think he thought I'd be pissed they were passing and I was calling to yell at them. He seemed pleasantly surprised at my gratitude. He turned out to be a very cool guy.

I was glad I called back to speak to him but yeah, I wasn't looking at the big picture, like, where else I can maybe send this thing? Woulda been a good idea...

Frankly I was kinda thrown that they weren't interested in "Beyond Help." Took me awhile to get my mind around that. 'So they're calling to say they're not interested? Who does that?' I'm normally a card-carrying pessimist but I wasn't prepared for that. (Yeah, I felt like a pretty big man for about a week there...)

But still, at the end of the day, I have an open invitation to pitch there, so I got that going for me.
                Which is nice.
                Last edited by gridlock'd; 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM.
                - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

No advice that's better than what's been said, but congrats on at least getting called back!

Comment

Congratulations gridlock'd!

Shows you're on the right track at least, so best of luck in the future.

Comment

You need to turn this into something that can land you reps, so your reps can push around your pilot and get some gigs from it.

Follow this route and you won't have to push your stuff like this again.

EJ

Comment

And to Micheal and Christopher,

I did call back and I had a nice chat with the assistant. I wanted to thank him above all since he's the one who got the ball rolling. If it weren't for him taking the time to read and recommend it, it wouldn't have gotten anywhere. He actually seemed a little shocked when I called back to speak to him. I think he thought I'd be pissed they were passing and I was calling to yell at them. He seemed pleasantly surprised at my gratitude. He turned out to be a very cool guy.

I was glad I called back to speak to him but yeah, I wasn't looking at the big picture, like, where else I can maybe send this thing? Woulda been a good idea...

Frankly I was kinda thrown that they weren't interested in "Beyond Help." Took me awhile to get my mind around that. 'So they're calling to say they're not interested? Who does that?' I'm normally a card-carrying pessimist but I wasn't prepared for that. (Yeah, I felt like a pretty big man for about a week there...)

But still, at the end of the day, I have an open invitation to pitch there, so I got that going for me.
                        Which is nice.
                        that's great, it is this very way relationships are forged, keep in touch with the assistant, in a sincere way, work on getting to know him, maybe he wrote something you can read? stuff like that.. Yes, ultimately you want to find people who can help you, but also having a real relationship goes even further because they want to help you, why? because they like you AND your work. Go get em and stay on it...
                        • Go and do likewise gents..

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                          No advice that's better than what's been said, but congrats on at least getting called back!
                          Thanks CC

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                          Congratulations gridlock'd!

Shows you're on the right track at least, so best of luck in the future.
                          Thanks. It's a huge vindication to even be considered by a man in that position.

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
                          that's great, it is this very way relationships are forged, keep in touch with the assistant, in a sincere way, work on getting to know him, maybe he wrote something you can read? stuff like that.. Yes, ultimately you want to find people who can help you, but also having a real relationship goes even further because they want to help you, why? because they like you AND your work. Go get em and stay on it...
                          Yeah, I was really glad I called back. Thanks for the advice.

"....you don't I got no sympathy for ya."
                          - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                            You need to turn this into something that can land you reps, so your reps can push around your pilot and get some gigs from it.

Follow this route and you won't have to push your stuff like this again.

EJ
                            Yes. Exactly my thinking.
                            - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Congratulations, grid, and Good Luck going forward.
                              TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Working...
                              X