View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #20
ihavebiglips

Default Re: Producer liked my script, need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juunit View Post
I don't think we're that far apart. The difference between having a verbal pitch and a bible is pretty minimal. For both, you need to know where things are going and have the answers. My understanding of the OP was that all that stuff still needs figuring out. If you have future episodes already in mind, writing them down really shouldn't constitute arduous work. And knowing your characters should go without saying.

And I think that's where I'll disagree with you. That people should just bang out pilots without too much thought given to the actual series. Personally, I wouldn't recommend even starting a pilot unless you already have a clear idea of where it's going. And the people that do have concise and detailed visions for their shows are the ones who get series orders. In a situation like this, being able to immediately get back to the producer with all kinds of ideas is only going to reflect well on you and your ability to create a successful and long-living show.

But, to each their own. If you want to write ten pilots and no bibles, then by all means go ahead. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have found success that way.

Well yeah, I agree that one shouldn't even bother writing a pilot if it doesn't speak to a full-bodied show and if it's not clear from the pilot itself you can at least articulate where you see it potentially going from there.

Just making a distinction between having a clear and fully fleshed out vision and writing a bible to present to others. Again, in my experience putting things down on paper for these fools can be very dangerous.
ihavebiglips is offline   Reply With Quote