No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Crown

season one was good. season two (other than one episode) is *great*

this queen don't need no dragons to hold her **** down!

Re: The Crown

Saw season 1 and really liked it. Looking forward to season 2, just waiting for some down time to binge.

Glad to hear it's still good.

Comment

I liked season one, but was able to readily "put it down" and forgot about it... now maybe I"ll have to check out season two!

Comment

Recently discovered “The Crown” on Amazon Prime and it is excellent fare, even if one is late to the party. Must see if you haven’t already.

As a companion to viewing “The Crown,” also consider “The Royal House of Windsor” documentary television series now available on Netflix. It, too, is a chronological tale expertly told with interviews, videotape, and film footage.
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 01-17-2019, 05:28 AM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I absolutely loved both seasons 1 & 2! I devoured them, and was desolate when I finished watching the last episode. The writing, acting, direction - all is outstanding. This is quality, golden age television. Can't wait until season3!

Late Night Writer

Comment

I'm only four deep into season three but holeee crap...

Like, Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby were good as Liz and Margaret but Olivia Colman v. Helena Bonham Carter in those roles is like Ali-Fraser

The show is usually away just long enough for me to forget exactly how first-class it is from top to bottom. Writing, acting, the look and feel.

Comment

Big fan of first two seasons.

I'm only one ep into season 3, and I'm having a hard time seeing Colman as the Queen. It's not just the brown eyes (why didn't they use contacts??) it's her energy - completely different than my impression of the queen, and certainly different than Claire Foy's bright yet restrained character energy. Colman is too dour, negative - frankly she reminds me more of Margaret than Elizabeth. I'm told season 3 gets better so I will stick it out for a few more perhaps. But so far I feel disconnected from her character, I'm not buying into the illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
                Big fan of first two seasons.

I'm only one ep into season 3, and I'm having a hard time seeing Colman as the Queen. It's not just the brown eyes (why didn't they use contacts??) it's her energy - completely different than my impression of the queen, and certainly different than Claire Foy's bright yet restrained character energy. Colman is too dour, negative - frankly she reminds me more of Margaret than Elizabeth. I'm told season 3 gets better so I will stick it out for a few more perhaps. But so far I feel disconnected from her character, I'm not buying into the illusion.
                I'm warming to her after four episodes, but my wife still feels the same as you. It's a shame because the new actor playing Philip is so good in his part, I haven't noticed the transition.

It's still wonderfully sumptuous high quality TV, though!
                TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I was thinking about this after watching episode 3 last night (the one about the mine disaster). First season was about transition: from being a princess to becoming a queen, so there was an arc involved. But now she's settled into the job, and my sense is that her coldness and formality is what this season is about. Hence the Wales episode, when she admits to not shedding even one tear. Only in the end, in private, can she do so. The Queen has been, and still is, inscrutable.

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                    I'm warming to her after four episodes, but my wife still feels the same as you. It's a shame because the new actor playing Philip is so good in his part, I haven't noticed the transition.

It's still wonderfully sumptuous high quality TV, though!
                    Yes - agree on both points, the guy playing Philip is excellent, and it's still high quality movie making. Watching the second ep now and loving the portrayal of LBJ, ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
                      I was thinking about this after watching episode 3 last night (the one about the mine disaster). First season was about transition: from being a princess to becoming a queen, so there was an arc involved. But now she's settled into the job, and my sense is that her coldness and formality is what this season is about. Hence the Wales episode, when she admits to not shedding even one tear. Only in the end, in private, can she do so. The Queen has been, and still is, inscrutable.
                      Good points and I'll have to re-evaluate after watching more episodes.

Comment

Whether there was, or is, a character arc from Seasons 1&2 to Season 3, Olivia Coleman's Elizabeth is so cold, so forbidding, such an unforgiving ice cliff of a putative human being, that she collapses from being a protag to something more like the palace backdrop itself: a setting against which other, more sympathetic characters, work out their fates.

The series did much to redeem Charles (how many episodes, out of 9, this Season, were devoted to him -- 3 1/2?), and Phillip (2 1/2 episodes?). Mountbatten is presented as a cut-throat wheeler-dealer and two-faced lying scum, which may not be exactly fair, but does make his eventual ascendancy on a cloud of IRA smoke from the sea to the sky above somewhat less of a wrenching event...

The above, at least, is what I got out of half-watching the series, after losing focus the first couple of episodes, and letting family members follow it while I listened to rockabilly and flamenco music on my iPad.

Comment

I sat down and binged season 1 this week.

It's gorgeous and, though I am NOT a lover of straight up drama, this is a very surprising series. I am fascinated with it. I love John Lithgow and Jared Harris both of which have amazing, nuanced performances, as do Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby.

I am not looking forward to the switch in actresses for QE2-- what was the reason for the switch? I am looking forward to Tobias Menzies as Prince Phillip (loved him in the first season of Outlander), though I have just finally gotten to like Matt Smith. QE2 has

Perhaps the change in QE2's cold demeanor in season 3 comes from what could quite possibly be, the wearing down of a young spirit. Understandable with heavy burden of being The Crown.

The character arc for season one for QE2, to me, is from naive innocent Elizabeth to ascending into the monarchy and becoming The Crown and Elizabeth Regina-- country before self.
                          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                          X