Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Manager relationship question

In this business it is always business for the most part. But, if you can find a rep to call a friend your business relationship will be even better.

Luckily I can call my reps my friends. That's why it works well for me. They care for me beyond business, and that's why I don't have to worry about my business.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
      You missed the point of that analogy, dude.
      Certainly wasn't my intention to appear disrespectful or dismissive to anybody on these boards. I commend much of the advice given to aspiring writers from fellow professionals.
      Last edited by Mintclub; 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
        Certainly wasn't my intention to appear disrespectful or dismissive to anybody on these boards. I commend much of the advice given to aspiring writers from fellow professionals.
        No worries, Mintclub. I appreciate your gallant attempt to defend my honor. (Sorry, that sounds "period" doesn't it? And I was going to try to quit writing period.)

Just kidding. In reply to the others who encouraged me to write what I want, I wholeheartedly agree. I did begin writing a modern script; something like "Lost in Translation" set in a different country. But it brings me down when I work on it so I shelved it after 30 pages. I might begin again when I don't mind being depressed.

Comment

Does it really matter if a rep likes you? Only reps I ever see hanging out with clients are reps who make a TON of money outta said clients. Writers shouldn't care if a manager or an agent likes them. They should care if a manager or an agent likes their writing. This is a business not a popularity contest. My reps seem cool, we get on well enough but I wouldn't wanna hang out with them. It's about the work.

Appreciate you're a manager Michael but I don't think it's cool to be telling young writers to go and find reps that like them. It's ALWAYS about the material not how you vibe as people. Poor form.
          It was an analogy. You missed the point of it.

Geoff is correct. It was reffering to material. Though, he is also correct, liking a client as a person is also important.

To reply to what you said, "this is a business, not a popularity contest". Actually, this business is a big popularity contest. Often writers win jobs because they are the ones an exec wants to roll up their sleeves and work with for long hours over the course of months. Many reps have read scripts and then met the writer to think "this person is an *******" or "this person is so introverted he won't survive in rooms" and not signed that person.

There are many factors that go in to having a successful career. Being a talented writer is just checking one of the many boxes.

And you should care if your manager or agent likes you. You are a team. You work TOGETHER.

Best,

MB
          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post

Geoff is correct. It was reffering to material. Though, he is also correct, liking a client as a person is also important.

To reply to what you said, "this is a business, not a popularity contest". Actually, this business is a big popularity contest. Often writers win jobs because they are the ones an exec wants to roll up their sleeves and work with for long hours over the course of months. Many reps have read scripts and then met the writer to think "this person is an *******" or "this person is so introverted he won't survive in rooms" and not signed that person.

There are many factors that go in to having a successful career. Being a talented writer is just checking one of the many boxes.

And you should care if your manager or agent likes you. You are a team. You work TOGETHER.

Best,

MB
            Well said.

The one thing I'll add for the OP is the mere fact that you are still querying should speak volumes about whether or not this person cares to rep you. Even in most hip pockets the rep will make it clear that he/she would prefer to handle getting your script out - it's part of whatever strategy the two of you come up with. The fact that you are still querying on your own is evidence to that fact that this rep has no strategy for you. He's simply stoking the fire so that he can be the first one to get the heat. It takes minutes out of his day to email you and check in and could one day pay off if he strings you along. But he isn't putting any skin in the game, or as another manager I know says "Sweat Equity". Just my two cents.

Best of luck either way!
            Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
              Even in most hip pockets the rep will make it clear that he/she would prefer to handle getting your script out - it's part of whatever strategy the two of you come up with. The fact that you are still querying on your own is evidence to that fact that this rep has no strategy for you. He's simply stoking the fire so that he can be the first one to get the heat. It takes minutes out of his day to email you and check in and could one day pay off if he strings you along. But he isn't putting any skin in the game, or as another manager I know says "Sweat Equity". Just my two cents.

Best of luck either way!
              Thanks for this. It may explain what's been going on the past year.

Comment

Best,

MB
                With all due respect, I held my hands up and apologized for any misinterpretation or offence caused. Keep your advice for those that ask. If I need any, I'll speak to my reps. Thanks.

Comment

With all due respect, I held my hands up and apologized for any misinterpretation or offence caused. Keep your advice for those that ask. If I need any, I'll speak to my reps. Thanks.
                  Just replying in full to a response directed at me. No worries.

Best,

MB
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Popular at parties?
                    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
                      Popular at parties?
                      Funerals mainly

Comment

M's right. It's not a bad thing to be liked by people you're going to spend a lot of time or effort with. Life is too short to spend it with people who you wouldn't go an extra mile for.

That said, some writers find extra motivation in the "me vs the world" mindframe. You just have to know when to turn that on and off, and realize that the world isn't only a place for you, but others too. Besides, that's what movies and tv are about - the ability to understand, relate to, and entertain others beyond yourself.

Comment

To the OP: You don't have a manager. It's like dating, if you have to ask yourself "does this person like me" they usually don't. Go find one that does.

And like it has been stated, this person never signed you in the first place. There is no "maybe they rep me". Either they said "we are working together and here is the game plane" or they didn't. If they didn't, you don't have a manager.

Best,

MB
                          ^^THIS^^

And why would you want to just give away 10, or 15, or 20 percent?

You have no hip pocket agreement. You have no signed agreement. Your phone works, because the producers called you.

Save yourself some money!

Maybe one day you'll find a real rep, but in the meantime you certainly don't need one in this case.
                          "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Working...
                          X