No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking up with producers early on

hey all--

so I have an idea for a feature that I have been "soft pitching". I'd be writing it to direct. ideally I would like to collaborate with a writer from the country the story takes place in.

a producer and his partner want to help develop it and offered to assist in finding said writer.

we are already working on another project together. I like them.

what are the pros/cons of going down this road so early?

my agent seemed ambivalent and somewhat concerned that I wouldn't have my pick of an uber-producer if I end up writing a really good script. But then again, Uber-producers sometimes don't have the drive of people still out the prove themselves...

Re: Linking up with producers early on

I thought about doing this with my current script, but decided against it. My manager mentioned the idea, which was in its early stages, to a well-known producer, who sparked to it and wanted to meet. But I knew right away that if I got into bed with this producer at such an early stage, I wouldn't be in full control of the project because of all the time and energy this producer would've put in. If I'm writing something on spec, I figured, why would I give up partial control of the project and limit my options out of the gate? And who knows how long I'd be in development with them? It might take me about six months from concept to ready draft while working on my own. But this producer could potentially drag the process on for one or two years. Who knows?

There is upside to doing this, of course, especially if the producers have a deal and can get it made. It's really a roll of the dice, to be honest. Just do your due diligence and go over all aspects before making a decision.

Good luck.

Comment

Docgonzo brings up several good points.

Meaning... FUKK THAT!... IMO. But don't take MY advice.

But for me, nah, too much could go wrong. VERY likely that they'll slow you down then drop off after you wasted a bunch of time on stupid notes pre-sale. Been there done that (huge producer... I thought it was gonna be easy, done deal. NOPE! Notes into infinity. Year and half. Total waste of my time). I think your best bet is leaving it wide open for anyone to jump on AFTER it's exactly what YOU want. That way at least you're done faster and not locked into something that ain't working (their version)... i.e. BAD notes WHILE you're writing. Worst way to write something good IMO.

Good luck!
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post

we are already working on another project together. I like them.
        What's the deal with the current project? I would not advise doing 2 "maybe" projects with anyone. Unless they're paying you for the one you're already working on (doubt it) -- I don't see how working on 2 specs for same producers doesn't lead to bad things in terms of time, focus, money down the line, eggs all in one basket.

and I love reading these stories where agents and managers don't have any business advice. I hear that all the time. what the hell are they doing for us then? Ugh.

Comment

I'd be writing it to direct. ideally I would like to collaborate with a writer from the country the story takes place in.

a producer and his partner want to help develop it and offered to assist in finding said writer.
          In addition to the above points, you give even more control to the producers by having them pick your writing partner. Which leads to... so you would be a writing team for the purposes of this project? That means you can't use it as a solo sample later.

Comment

The other project is a tv series I just sold

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            What's the deal with the current project? I would not advise doing 2 "maybe" projects with anyone. Unless they're paying you for the one you're already working on (doubt it) -- I don't see how working on 2 specs for same producers doesn't lead to bad things in terms of time, focus, money down the line, eggs all in one basket.

and I love reading these stories where agents and managers don't have any business advice. I hear that all the time. what the hell are they doing for us then? Ugh.

Comment

Awesome. Please teach me how to do that. So that seems to change everything right? They helped you sell the show ? So why wouldn't you work with them on more?

Comment

Re: TV sale... I wrote a pitch deck two years ago. Sat on my managers’ desks for two years.
                I sent it to a producer who works with another producer who has a 1st look deal with the channel. It’s one of the channels with three letter is in it.
                We all got on a call and they asked good questions. It was super chill. 48hrs later they bought it.
                Makes me wonder why the hell I have managers to begin with (and this is after I fired my agents)

Re: the other project... other ppl make v good points about keeping my doors open. I think I’m mostly driven by insecurity. Like... marrying the first person who wants to shag you. Hi!

Awesome. Please teach me how to do that. So that seems to change everything right? They helped you sell the show ? So why wouldn’t you work with them on more?

Comment

Oh and nothing changes unless you have something produced that makes people a gazillion dollars
                  A week after the sale I was told a 10 page assignment take I had idiotically prepared (for free of course) was DOA. This was the same assignment I had "in the bag-. I was waiting for an offer and instead I got a steaming bag of hot turds. And a spoon.
                  Metaphor for this goddamn biznis. One second you're selling a tv show, the next you're eating ****

Awesome. Please teach me how to do that. So that seems to change everything right? They helped you sell the show ? So why wouldn't you work with them on more?

Comment

Re: TV sale... I wrote a pitch deck two years ago. Sat on my managers’ desks for two years.
                    I sent it to a producer who works with another producer who has a 1st look deal with the channel. It’s one of the channels with three letter is in it.
                    We all got on a call and they asked good questions. It was super chill. 48hrs later they bought it.
                    Makes me wonder why the hell I have managers to begin with (and this is after I fired my agents)

Re: the other project... other ppl make v good points about keeping my doors open. I think I’m mostly driven by insecurity. Like... marrying the first person who wants to shag you. Hi!
                    Every writer is driven by insecurity. If they are legit though, that's not a bad scenario. At least it's a TV show and a film spec. I was worried it was 2 unsold film specs...

But I understand, it's always better to have options. And sometimes producers slow the process down. And if they don't like it at the end of all that time, you can't really do anything with it because they helped you develop it... So sure I got those points too. But finding someone else to love your idea isn't always easy either... there are pros and cons to this all.

I'm most confused by wanting to get a writing partner for the specific location. That's a whole other can of worms. Why would you do that to yourself?

Comment

I'm afraid of being accused of cultural appropriation. True story.
                      Every writer is driven by insecurity. If they are legit though, that's not a bad scenario. At least it's a TV show and a film spec. I was worried it was 2 unsold film specs...

But I understand, it's always better to have options. And sometimes producers slow the process down. And if they don't like it at the end of all that time, you can't really do anything with it because they helped you develop it... So sure I got those points too. But finding someone else to love your idea isn't always easy either... there are pros and cons to this all.

I'm most confused by wanting to get a writing partner for the specific location. That's a whole other can of worms. Why would you do that to yourself?

Comment

Be fearless. Blame the producers. I hear you though.

Comment

I'm afraid of being accused of cultural appropriation. True story.

True story. I was accused of that ***AND I'M BROWN***. Wtf? It's gotten silly. Absolutely fukkin silly...
                          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I can't wait until we get to the point that only actual Nazis can play them on the silver screen... where unless you fought in WW 2 you can't pretend you did and of course if you pretend to be someone you're not in real life in every single way you are murdered.

I think you're talking about something else, but I'm stuck on this idea.

Like I don't understand how you can say only people in wheelchairs should play a wheelchair part and people that can walk shouldn't play them. Or if you're not gay you shouldn't play gay. Or if you're gay you can't play transgender. But isn't the goal that the wheelchair person can be the lead in a romantic comedy and the wheelchair isn't even mentioned? Like if Harry Met Sally and Harry was in a wheelchair, maybe there's 1 joke about it, but they just hired the best actor? Isn't that the goal. Isn't it almost worse to force people into roles where they can only play themselves?

Yes, I get there are so few roles for this type of person like Asian roles, but isn't the goal to make all roles just roles for everyone? That should be the goal. Sure it's weird when they cast a white lady to play an Asian part, but they keep casting dumb white men (mostly) to lead us into hell in real life so why should hollywood be any better?

Comment

Think they're called 'actors' for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X