Interesting tidbit about my Blacklist experience...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting tidbit about my Blacklist experience...

I uploaded my script to the blacklist site late last year. One month later an assistant from WME contacted me and said a friend had passed him my script. The only way his friend could've gotten it (at that point) was through the blacklist. So I figured he had a pro account and downloaded it. I thought that was cool and didn't think much about it afterwards.

Then recently, I finally had a face to face with this assistant and asked him exactly how he got my script. He said his friend is a paid reader at the blacklist. He was assigned my script for an evaluation and then passed it to the assistant because he thought he'd like it.

I find this interesting because of the three paid evaluations, none were higher than a 7. And yet the reader still felt it was good enough to pass on to his friend. I'm not sure which one was his but my point is for those complaining about how the blacklist is useless unless you score an 8+, this is another example of how that's just not true. And I'm sure there are many other random ways your script can get into the hands of someone who might love it that you might not realize.

On the other hand, it dose underscore one of the criticisms I have about the blacklist in that the numerical scores often times don't seem to align completely with the written comments.

That aside, I still wholeheartedly endorse the site. It offers an opening to a very closed off system... provided you have a decent enough script of course.

Re: Interesting tidbit about my blacklist experience...

Good post, Slupo. I think the majority of people who complain about the Blacklist not fulfilling their wildest dreams are people who have wild dreams about what the Blacklist can and will do for them in the first place.

If you understand that the Blacklist is just another front on which to do battle, I think you'll have a much better experience, because it will match your expectations.

Also cool to see that a reader went the extra mile to pass your script on, even if they felt that they professionally couldn't give it an 8 or higher. I hope something good comes of it!

(I am curious if you found the notes you received on that submission useful/accurate? It's possible that the reader felt the script needed work, but that their friend might still be interested?)

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
      (I am curious if you found the notes you received on that submission useful/accurate? It's possible that the reader felt the script needed work, but that their friend might still be interested?)
      Not sure which reviewer he was, but yeah, all of the notes I got were along the lines of "it's good but it's not quite there yet." All of the notes were also accurate and useful and fair. And I credit those in part for helping me come up with a much stronger draft.

I looked through my notes and here is the prospects section from the reader I think passed my script along and its pretty much what you were suggesting:

Though continued revision is in order, one could imagine a sharper version of BROKEN finding its way to the screen as a taut, compelling crowd pleaser. Pending some additional dimension, the role of Dana could attract a marketable talent to the role, and the production demands are considerably modest as far as the "thriller" genre is concerned. Additionally, BROKEN stands poised to serve its writer well as a striking writing sample, as even this current version demonstrates a sharp command of craft that is to be admired. Ultimately, there is more than enough merit on display within these pages to warrant its screenwriter's continued efforts, and while the script is not yet the perfect iteration of its ideas, it would come as no surprise were BROKEN to garner some significant industry attention a few drafts down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
        I find this interesting because of the three paid evaluations, none were higher than a 7. And yet the reader still felt it was good enough to pass on to his friend. I'm not sure which one was his but my point is for those complaining about how the blacklist is useless unless you score an 8+, this is another example of how that's just not true. And I'm sure there are many other random ways your script can get into the hands of someone who might love it that you might not realize.
        I will second this. I recently put a new script up and before a review was posted, I randomly received an e-mail from a great contact who said he read my script and found it "very engaging". The review then came back and was loaded with superlatives, but the score was a 6. Regardless, this paid reader liked it enough to pass it up the ladder, and I'm now working with the new contact. I had doubts about the Blacklist last year when I had a "Top Uploaded Script" on the front page with an 8 for premise (on the e-mail blast I assumed) and it got me zero attention/ no downloads. With this recent experience, I now eat my words. I will give credit where credit is due. The Blacklist is a valuable service, and good things can happen without an 8.

Comment

kickass, slupo! wtg

Comment

8's don't mean jack ****. I got 14 pro downloads on a 6.8 and 3 pro downloads on a straight 7 since Sunday with one industry rating of 7. It's the script not the rating.

WAR WOMAN.

SCALLYWAGS.
            We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
              8's don't mean jack ****. I got 14 pro downloads on a 6.8 and 3 pro downloads on a straight 7 since Sunday with one industry rating of 7. It's the script not the rating.

WAR WOMAN.

SCALLYWAGS.
              Agreed. I read some of the 8 scripts and they were dull as heck.
              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Scores and numbers of downloads are both meaningless. It's the quality of contacts made from those downloads, if any, that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by nearmint View Post
                  Scores and numbers of downloads are both meaningless. It's the quality of contacts made from those downloads, if any, that matter.
                  The feedback can be a lot more useful than the scores. The coverage let's you know where your script stands. You'll get clarification on the good points and you'll get the negative stuff pointed out, as well as how to address issues with the script and the reader's sense of the overall prospects of the script.

BlackList should be seen as a development tool, not as a tool to get an instant 8 and major downloads. I put my scripts through the BlackList before I send them out to get a sense of what, if anything I need to address before I send out my scripts. If the feedback is good enough I'll just send the script out, if not, then I'll do a revision per the reader's suggestions.
                  Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Re: Interesting tidbit about my Blacklist experience...

The feedback on the blacklist isn't detailed enough I feel for it to really work to that purpose. It is a great litmus test though of whether the script is ready or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Klazart View Post
                      The feedback on the blacklist isn't detailed enough I feel for it to really work to that purpose. It is a great litmus test though of whether the script is ready or not.
                      Ready for what? So few of the 8's result in anything. That being said, I'd say it's more of an indicator of good writing, rather than your script being ready to produce.

Comment

Yesterday, an "industry professional" rated my script 15 minutes after downloading it. I contacted BL, and they deleted the rating.

I'm always curious as to why an industry pro rates scripts at all. What's in it for them? And why rate a script that they haven't taken sufficient time to read?

Comment

Yesterday, an "industry professional" rated my script 15 minutes after downloading it. I contacted BL, and they deleted the rating.

I'm always curious as to why an industry pro rates scripts at all. What's in it for them? And why rate a script that they haven't taken sufficient time to read?
                          It's just the way Hollywood does business in general. Read the first 10 pages, say "meh," and toss the script in the trash.

Comment

I'm always curious as to why an industry pro rates scripts at all. What's in it for them?
                            I wonder about this too. Last week I received two industry pro ratings - one an 8 and the other a 9. But neither reached out. I would think that if you thought the script was a 9, you would at least say 'Hey, I liked your script.' But no. They just wanted to rate a script. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by omovie View Post
                              I wonder about this too. Last week I received two industry pro ratings - one an 8 and the other a 9. But neither reached out. I would think that if you thought the script was a 9, you would at least say 'Hey, I liked your script.' But no. They just wanted to rate a script. Why?
                              Most likely, it is currently getting passed around or up their company for others' opinions. And that is often a long, drawn out process. But they did want to let you know it was liked... Not all folks in the industry are rude, self-centered narcissists...

Comment

Working...
                              X