View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #33
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: Reformatting from left-justified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
My film has a large amount of dialogue, a good portion of it meant to be spoken quickly. So I don't think it's fudging that it would come out around 3 hours or just below.

I don't want to freak anyone out with page counts. I started doing even further editing in Fade In and already got rid of 1 page by page 10. At that rate, I can get to around 167.
First, I applaud everyone in this thread so far for being helpful to Merrick/you. But I'm going to have to be a little bit of the dissenting voice in all this. I thought I would at least wait until you ran your script through an actual script program before I finally noted anything. You seem like a decent, earnest person, so I'm noting the following to try to help.

I wouldn't suggest anyone send out even a 167 page script. This is your first script and you've never done this before. There is little to no doubt in my mind it needs to be trimmed considerably and probably rewritten a few more times.

I'm not saying it needs to be 120 pages because of this or that rule. Not at all. But 167 pages is not going to go over well with people. And before anyone comes up with the "one in a million" exceptions or notes that Tarantino does this or Cameron does that or Sorkin and (Eric) Roth did it, please don't. You should at the very least cut your script down to closer to 130 pages or so. Get good feedback on it from people who really know what they are talking about it. It can be trimmed and polished. Think about it. Who makes three hours movies? Very, very, very, very few have ever been made in the whole history of film. Again, not saying you follow some formula, but be smart about it. Don't rush. In pretty much every case, you get one shot at people reading your script.

And don't send U.S. producers a PDF in A4 format. Though most will simply read the PDF, I've never had A4 paper in any offices I worked in and wouldn't even know how to get it. Send it in standard US letter/8 1/2 x 11 format. Don't give people any additional reasons to be thrown off or to mentally ding your script. If you send it to UK/European producers, then absolutely use A4, so it's something they are used to. If you get lucky enough to get someone to take a submission from you, make it as easy as possible for them to say, "Yes, we like it."

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 08-13-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote