Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Mailing Specs via Newsletter

What are the legalities of a screenplay blogger distributing a spec through his newsletter without the copyright holder's permission, or even knowledge?

One of my specs was recently blasted out, and I was curious just to know .

Re: Mass Mailing Specs via Newsletter

Originally posted by Steven L. View Post
    What are the legalities of a screenplay blogger distributing a spec through his newsletter without the copyright holder's permission, or even knowledge?

One of my specs was recently blasted out, and I was curious just to know .
    To who did he send it? I think that's an important question.

Comment

God knows who. Could be anyone in the world. I'm pretty sure you've received it as well.

Comment

God knows who. Could be anyone in the world. I'm pretty sure you've received it as well.
        If it was through Scriptshadow I did. Which one was yours?

Comment

The one that has my rep's info on the front page. The only people who I wish to distribute my material.
          Last edited by Steven L.; 11-23-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Steven: The law is tricky on this issue, especially as it relates to screenwriters/scripts. Only copyrighted material, in general, has any genuine protection under U.S. law. And most of us screenwriters do not bother to actually copyright stuff, we just register it with the WGA.
            If your script was indeed copyrighted, you could send Carson a theatening letter for copyright violation and force an apology and/or promise to cease and desist.
            Whether either of those is worth anything is up to you and your reps.
            Or you could hire some thugs to go rough him up. That would earn you a lot of fans in the industry, I'm sure.

Comment

Jtwg, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Copyright is conferred the moment you put pen to paper. It is not necessary to register in order to assert your copyright.

Registration with the US Copyright office only expands your ability to sue for punitive damages. Compensatory damages are available to any content creator, regardless of registration.

Steven, if you email ScriptShadow, he should remove the script from SendSpace. If he doesn't remove it from SendSpace within 24 hours, let me know.

Comment

Just when it went out, people were sending me emails, DM's, PM's, etc. telling me they received it with the latest batch. Not sure how it's been sent out -- via Sendspace or as an attachment in the Mailing list / newsletter program. It isn't an Amateur Friday or tweet pitch submission but a spec that is in active development across multiple platforms. I'd rather keep it a little more "under wraps" than having a bunch of random people reading/reviewing it.

Comment

Did it get send out with this week's batch?

Comment

No. I'm not telling you what script it is or when it's been sent out. If you're a director, producer, exec, agent, manager, or even a working writer that I know who wants to check it out -- sure, I'll give it to you. But, I didn't want a bunch of random, unknown people to have a copy of it.

Comment

No. I'm not telling you what script it is or when it's been sent out. If you're a director, producer, exec, agent, manager, or even a working writer that I know who wants to check it out -- sure, I'll give it to you. But, I didn't want a bunch of random, unknown people to have a copy of it.
                      Yeah I think he did send it. It's on Sendspace.

I can ask him to delete the sendspace file.

Comment

Chief, let Steven do it himself. It's important that ScriptShadow hears from the writers themselves or the reps that him posting their script isn't OK.

Also:

STOP TRYING TO EXTRACT WHICH SCRIPT IS STEVEN'S.

While I prefer to be non-anonymous, respect Steven's desire to remain a bit obscured. After all, you don't tell us your name either, do you Chief?

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
                          Chief, let Steven do it himself. It's important that ScriptShadow hears from the writers themselves or the reps that him posting their script isn't OK.

Also:

STOP TRYING TO EXTRACT WHICH SCRIPT IS STEVEN'S.

While I prefer to be non-anonymous, respect Steven's desire to remain a bit obscured. After all, you don't tell us your name either, do you Chief?
                          I publicly stated I don't like Star Wars on this forum. Not revealing my name is a matter of security.

But I'll stop asking.

To Steven, contact him through his E-Mail or Twitter (I think Twitter would be faster).

Comment

jcgary, I'll hit him up on Monday morning.

Chief, yeah -- twitter. So you can refresh his tweets every 5 seconds just to report back here? Nope.

Comment

jcgary, I'll hit him up on Monday morning.

Chief, yeah -- twitter. So you can refresh his tweets every 5 seconds just to report back here? Nope.
                              Sensing a lot of hostility.

You can E-Mail him now and he should be able to delete them. Asking him on Monday means everyone already has it.

It's Friday now so there's a chance most haven't downloaded it yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X