X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Page International Screenwriting Awards 2013

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
    Congrats!

My family script "Back by Sunrise" (very much revised from last year when it was a SF) is back in the running. Fingers crossed.
    Well done

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
      Congrats! I read it and deserves to be there! you've got some competition though
      Gulp! I know, right - I think we can share first place if we say please.
      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Congrats, everyone!

My two animated family made the QF's.

Comment

I'm in!
          For some reason I thought the Quarters where going to be posted today -- glad I checked -- what a boost! This is my first contest placement ever!

Seems like the entire Quarter Finals consist of DDers! Congrats!

A lot of family/animation in the running -- hope you all make it!
          Last edited by Cooper; 09-23-2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Anyone enter the Historical category? I did, but did not make the QF. I'm staggered. I was told by coverage that although it was not sellable in the current market it was good writing. Maybe being not sellable in the current market was a fatal flaw? I didn't think that mattered in this contest.

In this day and age ... most of the scripts are so sh**ty and stupid and superficial. -- Melanie Griffith

Comment

Don't ever be surprised, contests are way too subjective to think about it so much.

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennisss View Post
                Anyone enter the Historical category? I did, but did not make the QF. I'm staggered. I was told by coverage that although it was not sellable in the current market it was good writing. Maybe being not sellable in the current market was a fatal flaw? I didn't think that mattered in this contest.

Have a look at their judging criteria. It's at the bottom of this page: http://pageawards.com/the-contest/judging-procedure/

There are ten elements, and each has a value of 10 points. The last element is Commercial Potential. I think it would be hard to get a low score on any one of the elements and still make their Quarter Finals.

Comment

Hey all. I've been a Done Deal reader for a while now, but decided this was a good time to register and start posting.

I'm in with my horror script! I really needed the boost. This script also made the semis in last year's Creative World Awards but things have been quiet since.

Congrats to everyone who made it. And, keep your head up, to those who didn't.

Comment

Congrats and congrats on CWA! It's a great contest, in my opinion.

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                      Congrats and congrats on CWA! It's a great contest, in my opinion.
                      Thanks. And, I agree, I really liked the CWA. They were great with communication and out of the five scripts I entered, three made it all the way to the semis.

Comment

The screenplay I entered this year was a historical script, and has now made Page's quarterfinals five times.

I've never sold a screenplay, so I don't know if my opinion on what's sellable or not is worth much salt, but I can imagine there are those who think my topic is not sellable as well. Which might be why it hasn't advanced further in the past. It's probably a factor.
                        . "Audiences don't know somebody sits down and writes a picture. They think the actors make it up as they go along.-
                        Joe Gillis, Sunset Boulevard, 1950

Comment

The screenplay I entered this year was a historical script, and has now made Page's quarterfinals five times.
                          That is good news, but historical scripts are not common fare, and those that make it to the screen are written only by established professionals, so it begs the question, why does Page even have this category if marketability is a criterion?

In this day and age ... most of the scripts are so sh**ty and stupid and superficial. -- Melanie Griffith

Comment

That is good news, but historical scripts are not common fare, and those that make it to the screen are written only by established professionals, so it begs the question, why does Page even have this category if marketability is a criterion?
                            I was one of the Page finalists in Historical category last year. Lots of great feedback and more than a few requests to read. People in the industry love historical scripts (even though I agree they will never sell as specs). But I'm glad Page and now Final Draft have a historical/period category for the simple reason there is less competition and any exposure for a struggling screenwriter is good. Also, it's hard to write period characters well. And in the case of "Rodham" sometimes dreams do come true.

Comment

I had a script advance that was entered into the historical category as well as other categories.

It would be silly for Page to mark down ALL historical scripts on the basis of marketability. (But if they did, at least everyone would be on a level playing field.) So I assume they think yours in particular has commercial issues. If you really want to know, ask them -- not us. They're very responsive to entrants' concerns.

Also, "good writing" does not necessary equal a good script/story. I've read a number of scripts with "good writing" where the script as a whole simply didn't work.
                              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                                Also, "good writing" does not necessary equal a good script/story. I've read a number of scripts with "good writing" where the script as a whole simply didn't work.

Agreed. I've gotten coverage from a few places on one particular script where the overarching message essentially amounted to "It's clear that this person knows how to write, but we just hate *this* particular script with a fiery passion"

Comment

Working...
                                X