Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echo Lake

Hello, looking for info on Echo Lake Productions/Management, and specifically James Engle? I didn't see them on the monster list of Managers so wasn't sure where they stood.

I've been referred to him but yet to meet him, just wondering the reputation of the company or man. A google result didn't turn up anything recent.

Re: Echo Lake

here's a google link to some info on him: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...nt+James+Engle

also, try facebook or linkedin. Looks like he has a facebook page (i'm not on facebook so I couldn't look at it myself). Not sure about Linkedin.
    Last edited by bjamin; 02-11-2016, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Nice people. Very boutique (read, small) Their business is in postproduction investing, occasionally packaging, in exchange for a piece of the library. Plugged-in but at a very peripheral level, great for scrappy indies or one-man-bands.

Comment

one man bands? Not sure what that means.

I guess my two main concerns is could they get me an agent and/or get my script into the hands of most people around town including the studio?

I looked up the recent deals, and they haven't made a lot, but they've made some including setting up something with Team Downey at Warner Brothers.

I am a new unrepped writer so I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth since I was being referred there and I haven't even begun to look for representation yet, but I'm a sci-fi writer with admittedly large big budget type commercial studio fare scripts. Ultimately I know it's up to my writing, but I'd like to be with someone who can get me in the room.

Comment

Get a 2-week free trial at IMDBPro and check out Echo Lake's client list. I believe they have a roster of very prominent clients. This is not a one-guy-and-a-phone operation.

Late Night Writer

Comment

It's a 15-employee company with over 190 clients, according to IMDB Pro. Looks like a lot of their clients are actors.

Looking at James's writer clients, it looks like he has a lot of fairly entry-level writers. IMDB Pro isn't always great for tracking projects in development, and some of them are clearly working (which doesn't mean the other's aren't).

Comment

Yeah, I'd say you'd be in good hands there. James started at Benderspink and is probably pretty well connected around town.

But have they already read you? I've been referred to reps a bunch of times, only to have them pass on my material regardless. Hopefully they dig your work, because that'd probably be a good starting point for you.

Comment

Engle's legit.

If you ever score a meeting there, rather take the water, ask for a Fresca instead.
                Last edited by Dustin Taylor; 02-12-2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
                  But have they already read you? I've been referred to reps a bunch of times, only to have them pass on my material regardless.
                  Yeah, that's a pretty common experience. Referrals are great, but all they do is get you the read. We all want to think our material is so great that everyone who reads it will fall in love with it, but tragically, this isn't so.

Comment

Yes, he's read it and was a big fan and wants to meet. I looked up his deals on DoneDeal and he's made a few this past year, but a lot of the deals have two managers for the one writer. even on IMDB it will list them repped by 2 managers at the same firm. Wondering what that means?

Comment

Originally posted by wsaunders View Post
                      Yes, he's read it and was a big fan and wants to meet. I looked up his deals on DoneDeal and he's made a few this past year, but a lot of the deals have two managers for the one writer. even on IMDB it will list them repped by 2 managers at the same firm. Wondering what that means?
                      That he's repped by two managers at the same firm.

It's not that uncommon. If that happens to you, you'll probably gravitate towards one of them over time, the one you're more comfortable with, but they'll both be working for you behind the scenes and sharing in your commissions.

Comment

Echo Lake tend to work in teams. Usually a junior and a senior manager paired up.

Comment

Bumping this instead of creating a new thread. Anyone know what they're like to work with? Wsaunders, did you meet? What happened? What were your impressions? They read something of mine and want to meet as well. Would love to know what people thing of them.

I did see that they had a lot of clients on that staffing blacklist that went out, so that's obviously a good thing.

Comment

Well, some good and some bad. I met with James Engle in February. He liked my work, wanted to give me notes on my script, and then present it to the rest of the staff to see if anyone wanted to join with him, since they tend to rep in pairs.

It's been six months and I still haven't gotten the notes. We've been in contact, with me following up every now and then, and even he's reached out to me apologizing for the delay, most of the time he was in the thick of TV staffing season. He always gets back to me quick, but like I said still no notes. I just emailed him my newest script yesterday, and he replied back an hour later saying he was looking forward to reading.

I've not bothered to look for a manager on my own because I was hoping this would work out, but also because I wanted to finish my second script anyway. I might move on and look for a new manager soon though.

I'd considered possibly that maybe he was blowing me off, but the fact that he's reached out a few times to apologize for the delay makes me think he is in fact still interested. Also, I know as a new writer with no credits I don't have cause to make too many demands on his time.

Comment

You should be sending it out to as many managers as possible if you feel the script is ready, imo. I wouldn't pin all my hope on one person.
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                              X