Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE MIST - Why do people not like it?

I really liked this film and the themes it explored. I thought the script dabbled in some interesting character arc's and for what it was, overall, I found it enjoyable and close to the original source material. And I thought the ending was great.

Why do so many people rag on this film? I get it people don't like it or think it was bad, but why? What about the film didn't you like?

I'm not having a go at anyone for having that opinion, I just only ever see negative comments about it, but no real explanation as to why.

Was it because the ending wasn't a happy one?

Please discuss.

Re: THE MIST - Why do people not like it?

I liked the flick. And the ending was my favorite part.

Who knows. Different tastes I guess. I got what frank was going for and dug it.

Comment

Personally, I loved The Mist. Good old fashioned monster movie that wasn't watered down. It took risks. I'm attracted to films where society breaks down and strips people down to the true root of their character. I love the way Darabont explores this territory. I'm just not sure what passes as good horror for U.S audiences these days.

*Spoiler*Spoiler*

I hate to overly simplify it, but it may have just come down to the ending. It boldly stayed true to the tone set by the rest of the film, but to the average moviegoer, it probably was not only unsatisfying, but disturbing. I was disturbed by it and I loved the movie, but some places may be too dark to go for mainstream audiences. Some questions, people don't want to ask themselves -- especially these days. The thought of having to kill your young child to save him from an unspeakably horrible fate, then have to go on living the rest of your life with the knowledge, that if you had a little more faith, held out a little while longer, you'd have seen that help was right there. In essence, the main character gave up when we are conditioned to believe that the nominal "hero" of any film is supposed to fight to his dying breath.

There's a profound commentary that King makes about faith and pragmatism in the end, especially with one of the film's final shots being of the woman with the short haircut on the troop transport, who was the first person to leave the store and search for her kids.

Put me in David Drayton's shoes and I probably would have rationalized the same conclusion -- that death was a kindness. It was and honest ending. Probably too honest.
      "No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price... I will take my crown." -- Balon Greyjoy

Comment

The movie ending was much happier than the story's.

I also liked it, and even liked the happier ending (because it made the horrible choice even more horrible). I think it runs too long and could use a little trimming - but many movies do.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Bullshit ending with manufactured tragedy instead of earned tragedy.
          Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

I really liked it.

That soundtrack at the very end still gives me chills.
            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              The movie ending was much happier than the story's.

I also liked it, and even liked the happier ending (because it made the horrible choice even more horrible). I think it runs too long and could use a little trimming - but many movies do.

- Bill
              What happened at the end of the story?

Loved the movie.
              It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

I liked the movie up until the end. Not so much because it veered from the source material, but because it seemed nihilistic just for the sake of nihilism. I don't have a problem with that...but in this case it just seemed lazy.

Although there's an angle I suspect Darabont was going for, that he was marking the pop culture moment where the inherent optimism of the Cold War-era giant bug movies was abruptly raped by the gnarly realism of Night of the Living Dead.

But NotLD earned its ending. With The Mist it just seemed punk for punks sake. Unfortunately, Green Day punk rather than Black Flag.
                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Darabont doing another King adaptation... yeah baby count me in. Except...

Honestly there are only a few bits I can remember now (3 years since my only viewing). That shouldn't be the case. It should have been an epic Sci fi horror like the thing.
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
                    Why do so many people rag on this film?
                    Because people will complain about anything.

I loved The Mist.

I watched a great interview with Darabont - where he was in a meeting with some financier, and was told he'd have his $30 million to make the movie IF he changed the ending. The guy literally had his pen poised, ready to write him a check on the spot. Darabont said if you know how to change that ending, by all means, tell me and I'll consider it.

Of course the guy had no idea, so Darabont thanked him for his time, walked out and went and made the movie with Bob Weinstein.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I don't understand where the OP is coming from at all. The Mist is a highly regarded film. It's got 7.4 on IMDB which is good. As Terrance said, people will complain about anything.

My only complaint was the wooden, Darth Vader at the end of Sith-esque "arrgh! No! Ah! Argh!" at the end.

Comment

I've read some negative views about it by writers (not just on the DD boards) and wanted to know why people felt that way about it.

It's cool if people don't like it, I just wanted to know what it was about it they didn't like.

Comment

The Mist

Avoided it, like it was a plague. Haven't bothered to see it.

Stephen King has only impressed me favourably by acknowledging Charles Fort as his inspiration for "Firestarter" and by writing the short story that Darabont turned into THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.

From reviews, I suspected it was another of King's exploration of people interacting with one another, (tediously and obnoxiously), when confronted by creatures inspired by Lovecraft. I did see DREAMCATCHER and did not think it was a good idea to watch THE MIST, too.

King may be popular, celebrated, and profitable; but, I find his writing about as interesting as quicksand, (so I've avoided taking more than a few steps into it). When I hear his many fans revelling and hyping his latest success, I am as tempted to step on their heads and push them deeper into the muck to drown out their cheers.

King farts, (a thousand-pages-long, eldritch fart).

"Wicked!"

"Evil!"

"Frightened me!"

"Awesome!"

You just don't get it, do you? "Stinks," I say.
                          JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: The Mist

Dude, talk about the film or don't. Coming out from left field just to vent your spleen about King and his fans is pretty crass. You proudly admit to not seeing the film yet here you are whining away because you believe you simply must be heard.

Life's too short for such burning resentment. If you don't agree just move the fvck along. Smile smugly to yourself, even. But moaning about people who share their opinion on King when you do exactly the same makes you a hypocrite. That you gate crash a thread for your own agenda makes you a self righteous boor.
                            Last edited by 1mper1um; 06-13-2011, 01:57 AM. Reason: Disbelief at previous poster

Comment

The Mist

Originally posted by 1mper1um View Post
                              Dude, talk about the film or don't. Coming out from left field just to vent your spleen about King is pretty crass.
                              My opinion, and not alone regarding this film. I'm a fan of Poe, Hawthorne, Bierce, Machen, Lovecraft, and John Wyndham. I've seen several of the films based upon King's stories and tried to read them. I don't buy the hype that he's gotten. From the reviews, alone, (many faithful praising it, others deploring it), I've chosen not to watch it.

"...a movie that was a bunch of badly edited scenes of caricatures spitting out one cliche after another, horrible CGI, predictable action and horrendous acting and all this from people that have done or have gone on to do much grander things."
                              "The film desperately wants to say something about the frailty of human rationality but this theme has been explored countless times in much better ways. In this respect, this film is no better than any of the many 1950's style B-grade science fiction films that it inexplicably tries to emulate. Worse yet, the utterly unrealistic behavior of the characters causes the film to fail miserably to achieve even this goal. As a result, the ending is pointlessly sad. Instead of successfully telling us something about the frailty of human rationality, it simply leaves the viewer wondering why he just paid good money to watch people die."
                              JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Working...
                              X