Thread: Fatal Flaw?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #52
Steven Jenkins
User

Default Re: Fatal Flaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHull View Post
Just to clear up any "horrifically bad information" I may be passing on...
That was my fault, misunderstanding the theory.

I got confused by the term "prime mover of the story". I now think I've got that bit right: It's the prime mover of the particular story I'm telling, not the prime mover of the overall battle, unless I decide to tell the general's story. Then if I decide to tell the general's stroy, but use somebody else's POV to expeience the effects of it then I have a split Protag/MC. Pls correct me if I'm still wrong here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHull View Post
It has been awhile since I've seen "Thelma and Louise", but if I remember correctly, Thelma (Geena Davis) is the Protagonist while Louise (Susan Sarandon) is the Main Character. I'm not sure if this is the same kind of dynamic you have in your own story, but it certainly sounds like it.
Thanks Jim
I'm looking to T&L for help as my story is mostly a road movie, and I have very few main or secondary characters. Actually there's only about 5 what you'd call Dramatic role function characters, none of whom have pure traits. (Protagonist has: 'persue', 'conscience', 'uncontrolled', 'feeling' traits for example). T&L characters seemed to have similar mixed traits, with nearly all the 16 Dramatica function traits being shared out between the two girls.

But my main problem is the antagonist.

I started with just one story - getting info on a flash drive to a person/destination. Then I started looking for twists and subplots, which landed me with at least two.

main plot - delivering the info - easy antagonist here.
subplot1 - the authorities who use the hero as bait so they can capture the antagonist.
subplot2 - the guardian who gives the hero the task to deliver the info is actually using him as a red-herring/decoy, while he arranges to sell a copy to the chinese.

So in the last few minutes the guardian becomes the antagonist who has to be stopped, (this is where I think I may be making my greenhorn fatal-flaw - eg: old & worn twists, predictable swapping of antagonists, and probably other things too.)

I'm trying to explore the theme of mixed loyalties, and these (maybe old) subplots and twists seemed to fit quite nicely.

hope I'm still OT here...?

Last edited by Steven Jenkins : 03-30-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Steven Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote