Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting repped/Coming out strategy

So first official post...(you all feel less intimidating/more supportive than some of the other online communities.)

Here's my situation, I write comedy with a partner and we recently sold a pitch and got a 3-episode order to the digital arm of one of the networks (Totally amazing and our big break). We did this with a top entertainment attorney and my partner's manager. We're non-exclusive as long other jobs don't interfere (also because it's not financially tenable) and we should be done with most of the writing of it this winter. There's also an impossibly small chance it jumps to linear which would occur in Mayish. (Crazy!)

Ultimately, however, I want to let my fanboy genre freak flag fly and segue into drama, staffing, eventually showrunning. Totally cool with my partner, we want to continue to collaborate as desired but also support each other's individual passions. So all this time, I've also been working on my own portfolio and feel like it's finally at the level to send out.

I have lots of related questions, hopefully they're not overwhelming --

Though it's crazy unlikely, at the stage the show jumps to linear, is that when agents would come knocking?

Since often people recommend finding one's agent via one's manager, would it behoove me to lock down that team member first? Also would they earn their 10% for negotiating if my existing project went linear? (Happy to do so, I def felt the lack of having a manager during the last negotiation)

Or will managers not want to sign me because I'm kinda locked down, have a sometimes partner who's repped elsewhere, writes comedy but also wants to write genre, or any other reason? (It'll probably be because my material sucks but I'm prepared for that.)

Other pearls of wisdoms to consider?

So yeah...thanks everyone!

Re: Getting repped/Coming out strategy

Nope, you should be fine. A lot of teams have separate reps, especially if they often work solo.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallman View Post
      So first official post...
      Welcome to the forum.
      Manfred Lopez Grem
      WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by Levenger View Post
        Nope, you should be fine. A lot of teams have separate reps, especially if they often work solo.
        Sweet, the partners-but-not-all-the-time issue had me worried, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
          Welcome to the forum.
          Thanks!

Comment

Yeah. I have a friend right now who is getting some heat as a partnership. While their manager reps both of them both individually and together, their agent is only interested in repping them as a team. "Why dilute the brand?" is his motto.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallman View Post
              So first official post...(you all feel less intimidating/more supportive than some of the other online communities.)

Here's my situation, I write comedy with a partner and we recently sold a pitch and got a 3-episode order to the digital arm of one of the networks (Totally amazing and our big break). We did this with a top entertainment attorney and my partner's manager. We're non-exclusive as long other jobs don't interfere (also because it's not financially tenable) and we should be done with most of the writing of it this winter. There's also an impossibly small chance it jumps to linear which would occur in Mayish. (Crazy!)

Ultimately, however, I want to let my fanboy genre freak flag fly and segue into drama, staffing, eventually showrunning. Totally cool with my partner, we want to continue to collaborate as desired but also support each other's individual passions. So all this time, I've also been working on my own portfolio and feel like it's finally at the level to send out.

I have lots of related questions, hopefully they're not overwhelming --

Though it's crazy unlikely, at the stage the show jumps to linear, is that when agents would come knocking?

Since often people recommend finding one's agent via one's manager, would it behoove me to lock down that team member first? Also would they earn their 10% for negotiating if my existing project went linear? (Happy to do so, I def felt the lack of having a manager during the last negotiation)

Or will managers not want to sign me because I'm kinda locked down, have a sometimes partner who's repped elsewhere, writes comedy but also wants to write genre, or any other reason? (It'll probably be because my material sucks but I'm prepared for that.)

Other pearls of wisdoms to consider?

So yeah...thanks everyone!
              For starting writers, managers are more important than agents. Start there for sure. Don't even worry about an agent. You'll know when that time comes. Probably not on this project though.

You are going to be rebooting from scratch if you go solo. My guess is your manager will have opinions on that.

What is your strategy moving forward?

What are the things you are going to do to get the next project going?

How would you like to see the next project line up the project after that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                Yeah. I have a friend right now who is getting some heat as a partnership. While their manager reps both of them both individually and together, their agent is only interested in repping them as a team. "Why dilute the brand?" is his motto.
                That's partly my fear which is why I'm hoping to establish myself independently first and then the partnership thing might be considered gravy...

Thanks for the insight!

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                  For starting writers, managers are more important than agents. Start there for sure. Don't even worry about an agent. You'll know when that time comes. Probably not on this project though.

You are going to be rebooting from scratch if you go solo. My guess is your manager will have opinions on that.

What is your strategy moving forward?

What are the things you are going to do to get the next project going?

How would you like to see the next project line up the project after that?
                  Yeah, I was hoping I might be able to parlay some of the partnership success, but since I'm in comedy now and want to segue to drama, I half-expected I would need to reboot.

But yeah, part of all this is that it would be great to figure all this out with a manager. Thanks for the food for thought, I'll keep those questions in mind. I definitely have thoughts (and my own nerdy strategic plan) and will make sure I have answers when I meet with folks. (assuming my sample is strong enough to get those meetings)

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X