View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
mrjonesprods

Default Re: Cold Calling Production Companies--In Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbottle View Post
No offense but you're wrong. Flat out 100% incorrect in every way and trying to make people believe this is just giving them a blueprint to fail.

Seriously not to be a jerk but you're absolutely wrong. I've optioned 2 things from cold calls. Gotten read all over town by cold queries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesprods View Post
There are so few examples of that ever leading to a legitimate sale out of the hundreds of thousands written annually to production companies. Compare that number with how many more sales have resulted from a writer sending a query to a manager who took their script out and sold it. I guarantee the numbers aren't even close.

Okay, and not to be jerk either... You've OPTIONED 2 things from cold calls. I said SALES. But even so, were the companies you've OPTIONED your scripts to hollywood based producers? If so, who? Did they have a deal with a studio? How was the money? Probably not a significant amount or enough to get you into the WGA since you couldn't get an agent or manager to help with you the deal. (If I recall, you only recently got a manager.)

Quote:
Got my manager from cold queries.
I said querying hollywood production companies is a waste of time - not managers. I actually think if you are querying, going the manager route is the best avenue to pursue.

Quote:
Called people on their cellphones whenever I could and GOTTEN READS FROM IT. Obviously you don't show up at their houses but their phone? Are you kidding me?
I still think this is crazy behavior. Sorry. It's crossing a line from professionalism to amateur hour.

Quote:
As for your contention you have to have a manager or Agent to sell stuff I advise you to look at Martell. He's never had either I believe and has like 18 films PRODUCED or something ridiculous like that.
I'm happy Bill has been able to carve out a career working in the independent world. But had those same 18 films been produced with WGA contracts, Bill would be rich beyond belief. That would mean he would have zero trouble finding an agent or manager to represent him. (Sorry to bring you into this discussion, Bill).

It's my opinion, most people here are trying to sell their stuff to studios that nets them a 6 figure pay day, WGA health and pension, etc. - not independent producers. And moreover, when I said "hollywood production companies" in my previous post - the companies I'm referring to are the ones who deal with studios.

Quote:
If you wait for someone to magically pluck your name from the ether and contact you you'll never ever have your material read anywhere. Sorry.
Again, not what I said, but if you want to think I did - go for it.

Quote:
This business is about hustle as well as writing.
I agree.
mrjonesprods is offline   Reply With Quote