No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Big Stone Grid

Originally posted by richardonthego View Post
    What did you think of Brigands? I enjoyed it -- very well-written -- but didn't connect with the characters like I did in The Big Stone Grid. Probably had to do with the first half of the film setting up the town, rather than our protagonists.

The end was shocking enough to be remembered, but I didn't feel like it held together quite as well as BSG.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
    Brigands of Rattleborge **SPOILERS**

I thought Brigands was a very literate script, with some terrific scene-setting and dialogue, and of course the length of time it takes to set up the townsfolk is one of the things which made it stand out, but I also felt it abandoned some of the things that made it intriguing.

The raindance, which is requested at the start, introduced a kind of supernatual element, which was never followed up on. Indeed, that whole sequence is largely forgotten when I initially thought there'd be some kind of karmic Native American payback on the badguys. The bad guys operate under the rainstorm, but was it really necessary? It's atmospheric, undoubtedly, but the whole sequence with the Native Americans could have been removed as it is and it could just have been coincidental.

The townsfolk are nicely drawn, but I didn't find the Abraham character that compelling in the end, I expected a greater mystery about him.

I love westerns and Brigands is a good revenge western, but ultimately that's all it is, another revenge western, albeit a VERY dark one with some good twists.

I haven't read BSG.
    @MacBullitt

Comment

Working...
    X