Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battle: Los Angeles Opening Weekend

We're going to see The Adjustment Bureau.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

oh damn....i forgot about that...hmmm.
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

kill 2 birds with 1 stone:
        if you use a few basic timing skills at the multiplex you can pay to see the adjustment bureau and then after, jump into this flick for free or one of the others that you don't know for sure or just want to see so you can say something on this board about it.

Comment

are you suggesting that I steal my way into the movie theater without paying? what if i'm caught? i could get 20 years in prison Nikee. They don't have donedeal in prison either I heard or Final Draft.
          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

it's not stealing. the movie will already be playing. there will be no extra cost for your set of eyes to see it too. it's called being an opportunist.

buy some crap at the concession stand where they make huge profits. they won't even notice your sneaky self. lol!

Comment

Just got back from a UK screening... and was mostly bored. It's all spectacle with zero substance.

Main gripe: The shaky camera-work, designed to make feel you are on the ground with the troops, is undone by the incessant orchestral score, which reminds you that you are watching a movie and kills any "documentary feel" the film could have aimed for.

In short: If the battle scenes played without music it would have been much better.

And they should have drowned out all the "Marines never quit!" corny dialogue too

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                And they should have drowned out all the "Marines never quit!" corny dialogue too
                'Cause Marines never quit, mate.
                Never.
                Ever.
                Never ever. reve reveN.
                The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

uh oh...the results are coming in....

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

lol! 2 down = not even worth sneaking in

Comment

lmao!

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Just saw it and hmmm... 5/10, it's not as bad as Ebert makes out, but then it's not the belle of the ball either.

It's like they took a shakey-cam(TM) and stuck a 600mm lens on the front to make it extra shakey. The horizon was bobbing up and down like the camera was attached to a yo-yo on a sailboat during a force 10 hurricane.

And the dialogue, seriously, if a Syfy channel film had a 100 million dollar budget this is pretty much what it would look like. Cringeworthy stuff. Aaron Eckhart tried his best and almost pulls it off but no one can get away with lines like those with a straight face.

Some of the action was neat though and I like the concept, it's hard to totally blow the concept, especially with all that cash.

But it just didn't have enough wow factor to it. Not enough iconic images. All a bit conventional. If it's Blackhawk Down meets Aliens, then they went a bit too far in the Blackhawk Down direction. The Aliens were about as Alien as in Halo 2, and seriously, seriously dumb.

Comment

so how would you rate the special fx overall? sounds like you're saying what i've been reading about the aliens not really being all that.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

The effects were by and large fine, the aliens are a bit silly looking, not exactly scary, but the ships and alike were effective enough.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                              We're going to see The Adjustment Bureau.
                              Fun choice. Ebert liked it. Not that I care what he says!!!
                              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                                If anyone were making superficial, flippant judgments about a film none of us have actually seen (something this board revels in at times), sure, Battle: LA could be sneerily dismissed as just another cash-in upon the alien jittercam success of District 9. But as the trailers and online features suggest, Liebsman is out to bring us war movie cajones and make a spectacle of ginormous ET's blowing the bejeepers out of LA La Land.

In a word: bringiton.
                                Based on your strong reaction to the criticism, it seems like you have invested your own money in this film. Don't worry, it will probably be a big hit at the box office. Extrapolating out from those on this board that like to bash L.A., I'd bet people will line up in droves just to see it get obliterated.
                                "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X