No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scott Carr Management SGC

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
    He moves pretty quick. If he likes it, you'll hear from him very soon. Otherwise, can't hurt to give him another week and then follow up to check in, just in case he's been swamped lately.

Good luck!
    Hey scripto80,
    Ive read that you shouldn't follow up on script requests/queries. Have you had success following up?

Comment

Originally posted by RayRayRay View Post
      Hey scripto80,
      Ive read that you shouldn't follow up on script requests/queries. Have you had success following up?
      If you mean "success" in that I checked in and they said "Oh sorry, yes we read it and loved it!", no. But if you mean success in finding out that they had forgotten about it or just not read to it yet and it kept hope alive or lead to other communications and/or connections forming, yes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with one follow up, as long as it's quick, casual, and after an appropriate amount of time (2-3 weeks at least). Some people say "Send, move on, never look back." But I personally always liked the peace of mind of knowing whether or not they'd even read it, let alone passed. There's no harm in a simple follow up after a reasonable amount of time. Don't obsess over it, but don't feel bad about dropping a quick line.

Comment

Why would you not follow-up? Of course you should (as long as it's after a reasonable amount of time and is polite). Worse case, they'll respond saying they passed or they won't respond at all. I've followed-up in the past where the person in question thanks me for reminding them and notes they'll get to it soon. Even once, it was a case where the producer's assistant changed and the new assistant had me resend it. It ended up in a meeting with the producer (after the new assistant then producer read and liked it). If I didn't follow-up, that never happens.

Comment

Thanks, I always thought it weird to not follow up so thats reassuring. Maybe you guys could help me with something else along the same lines.

I have a feature that a director wants to make. He's showing it to his managers/agents now. Maybe something happens, maybe it doesn't, I figure I should keep querying in the meantime.

Should I mention the director to the managers that took my script when I follow up?

Comment

I actually sent Scott a follow up because I hadn't heard from him after 2 months but he replied simply "haven't read it yet, but will." Another month went by and I followed up again and he replied promptly "not for me. Thanks for the read though." Mind you this was like 4am on the east coast when I sent the follow ups and he replied pretty fast so he's a night owl it would seem.

Comment

Scott (a buddy of mine) is sitting in my office right now. I read him this thread. He's now going home to get caught up on his reading of query scripts. You're all welcome.

Best,

MB
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                Scott (a buddy of mine) is sitting in my office right now. I read him this thread. He's now going home to get caught up on his reading of query scripts. You're all welcome.

Best,

MB
                LOLOLOL
                http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Although I didn't secure representation with him, I can confirm Scott's a great guy. Fast and courteous. Responded to me within 5 minutes of my query. Read the script in about four days.

Comment

I had drinks with Scott last week. First time I've met him. I was impressed. He's very knowledgeable and connected. I came away with the impression that anyone he represents would be fortunate to have him in their corner.
                    NOTES / COVERAGE
                    15,000+ Screenplays
                    [email protected]

Comment

In a reply to a query letter he said his business model does not include reading unsolicited material and that he'd read the script with a fee, providing notes.

Do you think it's worth it?
                      He hasn't mentioned his price yet. What would be an average coverage fee?

Comment

Hi. I don't think you should be paying anyone to consider you for representation. It is generally frowned upon as a practice. This was not always Scott's business model, so you should keep that in mind when reviewing the thread about him.

Comment

thanks. that's my thoughts too.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo View Post
                            In a reply to a query letter he said his business model does not include reading unsolicited material and that he'd read the script with a fee, providing notes.

Oh wow this is monumentally depressing news. I've listened to Scott a lot on Scripts and Scribes and he seemed like one of the really good guys in Hollywood and one of the few guys out there who was willing to search anywhere for great material and thus was open to accepting queries (I believe he's also sold some specs that were queried?). I've even told people who have very legit results in notable contests or fellowships to query him.

Not saying he's a bad guy, but this just makes me question everything about the amateur script writing industry: contests, Virtual Pitchfest, the BL, queries, etc. What is real? Does anyone really have any chance of breaking into Hollywood without actually moving to LA and meeting one of these golden unicorns who can pass your script on to someone in the know?
                            Last edited by FeechLaManna; 01-16-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo View Post

I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe. Scott has an excellent reputation around town. In the past, when I was in between reps, I was referred to Scott by multiple execs, all of whose opinions I dearly respect. He also reps a couple directors I've crossed paths with who have nothing but good things to say about him.

Anything is possible, but this one seems weird to me.
                              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
                                I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe. Scott has an excellent reputation around town. In the past, when I was in between reps, I was referred to Scott by multiple execs, all of whose opinions I dearly respect. He also reps a couple directors I've crossed paths with who have nothing but good things to say about him.

Anything is possible, but this one seems weird to me.
                                It's true. I got the same email from him. I would be willing to pay if he charged the same as the blacklist or contests. Doesn't seem unreasonable considering that he has a good reputation and contacts.

Comment

Working...
                                X