Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #11
777-9311
New User

Default Re: Studio Speak (What's The Deal)

I want to say thanks for your thoughts and experiences. I wanted to respond to some of your statements and questions.

creativexec: “You would increase your chances of success, if you wrote a script that simply inspired ‘love.’"

My Response: It inspires something. What? I don't know.

Boski: “….double (at a minimum) any and all timeframes anyone gives you for responding to anything.”

My Response: Tell me about it… it’s been two Fridays now. We've talked before. She's read my other specs. She passed on the others, but noted the strong writing but it didn't go any further than that. This latest submission, she's showing it to others for their opinion which is a first for me.

odriftwood: “777, can I call you 7?”

My Response: U Can call me 7 , 777-9311 , or the son of the Purple One

Jake Schuster: “Hurry up and wait.”

My Response: I’ve come to expect the worse.

writerly: "…by "unique" is it a genre thing?”

My Response: No. It’s just a VERY unique script (character-wise, visually and dialogue-wise.)

writerly: “I wonder if she has someone specific she's giving it to or is just a general comment?”

My Response: I know there are people above her. She’s a CE at the studio.

writer0825: “I have to say, I'm not really understanding WHY she's passing it around if she's not a fan of the script? Also the other people that liked it, are they at the same company?”

My Response: I don’t understand either by mentioning that she’s not a “fan” of the material, but wants to get someone else’s opinion through me for a loop. As mentioned before, she passed on my other works; and didn’t give it to someone else to consider. However, with those other scripts, she did compliment me on the writing. And to answer your last question, all of the people are at the same studio.

Last edited by 777-9311 : 06-12-2006 at 08:17 AM.
777-9311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:22 AM   #12
777-9311
New User

English Dave: "Mondays are not sacrosanct for discussing submissions."

My Response: Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed it was etched in stone because I've always heard of that day of the week as being when everyone gets together for meetings.
777-9311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
writeman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer0825
I have to say, I'm not really understanding WHY she's passing it around if she's not a fan of the script?
This is more common than you think. I had a similar thing happen with a script I wrote that made the rounds at UTA (I was seeking representation).

One agent liked the writing but thought the script wouldn't sell, yet he still wanted another agent to read it just to be objective.

The old two heads are better than one philosophy. Plain and simple.

FADE OUT.
writeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
kidcharlemagne

Quote:
You would increase your chances of success, if you wrote a script that simply inspired "love.
Read an interview with the guy who wrote The USUAL SUSPECTS. He said that when they sent it out not only did the people at the studios/prod. co's not like the script, but that they absolutely HATED it.

You never know.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
TDWoj

Today's usage lesson:

Something is either "unique" or it isn't. "Very, very unique" doesn't make it more unique because something that is unique is by definition special - i.e., "one of a kind".

Thus endeth today's lesson.

-T, waiting for her teeth to stop hurting from the first onslaught of grinding brought on by seeing "very, very unique"
TDWoj is offline   Reply With Quote