Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Future of Scripted TV = Not Much?

I'm not a big reality show hater. There's some genuinely entertaining stuff out there.

Essentially, in reality TV, the editor is the writer. The same storytelling rules apply - the editor simply takes that raw footage and constructs a narrative out of it.

Find a reality show (not game show) out there right now - something along the lines of The Hills or Gene Simmons: Family Jewels. You'll notice each episode has a specific topic, or basic story.

The editor takes that unfolding narrative (often making it seem like a much bigger deal than it really was), presents it in the first third of the show, adds a subplot or two in the meantime, then either shows how the situation is resolved at the end, or leads into the next episode.

It is, in essence, a form of writing.

But, yeah - as an aside, the executives at NBC are retards. I want Studio 60 back.
    Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

S60 was great, especially the second half. I do, in fact, despise reality TV, but I'm at peace with it, because it's never going to go away. There are a lot of cable networks, and plenty of other outlets. I just refuse to blame reality TV for keeping me from being successful as a writer.

Comment

I think "True Life" is the best reality/docu show. There's not much else that I seem to enjoy sitting through. Surprisingly enough, an MTV show I actually like.

Comment

Broadcast networks are in the same boat as the record labels...

... their business model is taking water (and fast), and they don't have anyone on board savvy enough to figure out how to plug the hole in the hull.

So the right hand just keeps bailing... and bailing...

While the left hand keeps knocking out new holes, hoping that the water will just leak out.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by j_over View Post
            There can be just as much crap airing on cable as there is on network TV. I personally don't think just because there are less restrictions to deal with on cable that it automatically equals better television.
            I agree, I am just saying that it seems like a cop out to blame poor ratings and changes on the fact that people are not interested in scripted TV.

Most people I talk to would be more than happy to watch Network TV shows on air, on DVR or online if the shows were of better quality. I am zoning in on NBC as a whole who is looking for every excuse to ensure investors not to bail and to not point the finger at the number one problem at NBC... ZUCKER...

NBC has downsized, restructured and re thunk how to generate ad revenue for network and cable properties. After the Olympics rush of ad dollars pour in, NBC will look more attractive to buyers anyway and the company should be sold off to people who know what the F*ck they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by qualitycontrol View Post
              It seems as if the majority of viewers DO NOT WANT good programming. Those that do get cable put in.

Broadcast has to walk a fine line.
              Development, Arrested.
              "I knew I was wrong. But in my head, I thought I was wrong for the right reasons."
              -Frank Sobotka

Comment

In all fairness, excluding HIMYM, NBC actually has the four best comedies on network television (Scrubs, Earl, The Office and 30 Rock). And they're just as good as Always Sunny, Californication, Weeds, Curb, etc., regardless of the FCC or corporate meddling. AD and 30 Rock even turned it around made it funny.

And when you look at HBO's history with comedy (Lucky Louie, The Comeback) I don't know they're really all that successful. FX and Showtime have hit it out of the park with with Sunny, Californication and Weeds, but they aren't exactly flooding the market and you could argue that Californication and Weeds aren't even straight comedies.

As far as drama is concerned, network television is probably done. If Winnie Holzman was shopping My So-Called Life today, would she even bother pitching it to ABC? With HBO, FX, Showtime and now AMC providing creative freedom and greater security who in their right minds would take a drama to the network?
                "I knew I was wrong. But in my head, I thought I was wrong for the right reasons."
                -Frank Sobotka

Comment

Originally posted by Nadum View Post

And when you look at HBO's history with comedy (Lucky Louie, The Comeback) I don't know they're really all that successful.
                  The irony with cable channels like Showtime and HBO is its shows don't have to be successful hits to keep them on. This is not only because there are no advertisers that need appeasing, but original programming (comedies and dramas) for subscription cable channels primary goal is to keep people subscribing to the channel itself.

Have you ever noticed that these series start right before your monthly/yearly subscription ends and finish up after you renew it (or not)?

This is on purpose to make sure viewers want to keep subscribing to whatever subscription channel is airing the particular program.
                  Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadum View Post
                    In all fairness, excluding HIMYM, NBC actually has the four best comedies on network television (Scrubs, Earl, The Office and 30 Rock). And they're just as good as Always Sunny, Californication, Weeds, Curb, etc., regardless of the FCC or corporate meddling. AD and 30 Rock even turned it around made it funny.

And when you look at HBO's history with comedy (Lucky Louie, The Comeback) I don't know they're really all that successful. FX and Showtime have hit it out of the park with with Sunny, Californication and Weeds, but they aren't exactly flooding the market and you could argue that Californication and Weeds aren't even straight comedies.

As far as drama is concerned, network television is probably done. If Winnie Holzman was shopping My So-Called Life today, would she even bother pitching it to ABC? With HBO, FX, Showtime and now AMC providing creative freedom and greater security who in their right minds would take a drama to the network?
                    I completely agree with you on drama and that a few of NBC Sitcoms are semi-decent (compared to what is on at some of their competitors), but I think if you took a survey of people and asked them to stack up current versus their past hits, most people who had seen both would say that the current shows aren't in the same league. Scrubs and the Office were good (but after running a while seem somewhat predictable/repeatative, personally I dont watch Earl (I find even the passably funny parts are telegraphed), and IMHO only 30 Rock seems like it might be in the same league as their past shows. I don't think anyone expects them to be in the same neighborhood as any of the Larry David shows, but it would be nice to see them at least to aspire to something that clever again. Probably not likely!

In general it seems like when broadcast tries to draw audiences to new scripted shows, they are using a lot more gimmick premises in recent seasons to create a quick buzz/draw, rather than putting on shows that tell stories that engage the mind a litlle (but still are an escape), through characters that people get hooked on seeing. IMHO that formula seems to have largely left the building on the broadcast side, while in general cable hasn't had the same problem. With the amount of programming that still comes from broadcast, you hope that they do better, but it seems like folks like Zucker have run up the white flag and decided that it is too hard to reach the same level as their predecessors.

Comment

I'd agree that not only the business model has changed, but pop culture has changed as the success of reality TV combined with the lack of success of scripted network TV shows in combination with the audience's expectations for scripted TV in the Sopranos to post-Sopranos world and all this has gone a long way to muck up network development and programming.

If I were a new an old showrunner I'd be shy of developing something for network TV given a CYA-commitment-phobic-censor-phobic-stockholder-phobic approach to development and programming. E.g. Quarterlife. Look at the first seasons of most sitcoms: joke-filled vs. character developed. First season dramas also formulaic, characters still developing and in search of an over-arching story. Cable TV from TNT to Showtime that would be my "Texas tea." Imagine trying to pitch/develop the X-Files for today's Fox.

Who watches scripted network anyway? All right, I do, White male, 30's. Family Guy, Lost, The Office, 30 Rock, Damages, Mad Men. Eventually I'll get Showtime. But I watch more out of a comfort-seeking habit.

Zucker. Wow, though. Someone's overcompensating.
                      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Zucker passed on Battlestar Galactica. It's now a tentpole for Scifi. Very dumb.

They destroyed SNL. Their news division is completly useless.

This is all I need to know.

If I was on the GE board I would vote to completly restructure or sell it off.
                        "The screenplay is first and foremost a selling tool." - Katzenberg

Comment

Working...
                        X