X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More Production Notes On Stone's George W. Bush Movie

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
    Wow. Spooky.

Once Bush is gone I want to forget him, not go see a film that should have been made six years ago.
    Exactly.
    Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

I'd rather see a documentary on that fat f*ck Karl Rove, even if it would be like chewing glass.

Might lead to an arrest.

Comment

Didn't Oliver Stone promise that Alexander would be his last movie?

Oh, that was before he blamed American audience's lack of sophistication for the failure of that miserable piece of horse sh*t... and then the studio released TWO MORE VERSIONS!!!

Oliver Stone had his day - though personally, I don't like any of his movies at all, other than Wall Street. Maverick? Risk taker? Eh, I think he's more like a filmmaker's version of an ambulance chaser. I don't care what his budgets and box office are - if you're talking about quality filmmaking, I think he's one of our more vastly overrated directors. Some (all) of your opinions may differ.

Comment

Well, I mean - what is he going to show us that we don't already know to death?

- Daddy's phone call, Texas Air Nat'l Guard
          - Cocaine
          - Yale, Skull & Bones
          - Failed oil wells
          - Rangers
          - Governorship
          - Selling soul to Satan/Karl Rove
          - Stolen presidency
          - Failed presidency
          Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Naudikom View Post

- Cocaine
            - Yale, Skull & Bones
            - Failed oil wells
            - Rangers
            - Governorship
            - Stolen presidency
            - Failed presidency
            George and Laura in bed. *barf barf*

Comment

WTC and UNITED 93 were both successful films, the later being a tense thriller where we all knew the ending, but was no less engaging. I suppose we all knew the ending of WTC too.

They proved that although 9/11 is still a nervous (and painful) twitch in the American psyche, people in general are willing to brave these films.

Yet, interestingly enough, films that deal with the geo-political nature of the war on terror have tanked at the BO. Lions for Lambs comes to mind. Just a terrible film.

Does mainstream Americana, and the rest of the western world really want Republican policies spoon fed to us at the movies? Me thinks we all get enough of that on the six 'o clock news.
              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

You know why this movie's going to flop?
                THE SECOND that Bush leaves office, this country's going to be so glad to be rid of him that we'll just as rather forget he was even there.
                This is probably the singularly most brilliant analysis I have read in months.

He is already starting to vanish.

the timing of this is all wrong.
                "The screenplay is first and foremost a selling tool." - Katzenberg

Comment

All the Presidents Men... came out two years after Nixon resigned.

Cautionary tales don't have to be that timely, do they? Unless you're talking box office.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                    Yet, interestingly enough, films that deal with the geo-political nature of the war on terror have tanked at the BO. Lions for Lambs comes to mind. Just a terrible film.
                    Not the topic that tanks, just the way it's discussed. Syriana was hardly BO-poison and it was anything but terrible. I agree about Lions for Lambs though. Read the script after seeing the film. Barf.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                      All the President's Men... came out two years after Nixon resigned.

Cautionary tales don't have to be that timely, do they? Unless you're talking box office.
                      Very good point.

But Nixon wasn't like nails on a chalkboard, and he faced the consequences for his actions. Also, it was a great script and starred two very hot actors of the day.

I hope Stone makes sure every fact in this film is solidly backed up. I do admire his guts at going after controversial subjects.

Comment

- Cocaine
                        - Yale, Skull & Bones
                        - Failed oil wells
                        - Rangers
                        - Governorship
                        - Stolen presidency
                        - Failed presidency
                        Left out his days as a cheerleader in college. Stone could hand that over to Apatow and it'd be gold.

Although ultimately, I'd love Stone to grab onto THIS.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I hate the idea of this movie, mostly cuz I hate Bush. I really can't see audiences wanting to see this movie.

But I'm not gonna knock Stone. He was out there making controversial movies, sticking his neck out, & taking sh!t when no one else was.

Just about every other filmmaker in HW was content to make safe "please like me" movies & cash the checks, while he made movie that shook people up.

Stone hasn't made a movie I've liked in yrs but I'm not gonna knock him.

Stone's partial filmography:

Salvador
                          Platoon
                          Wall Street
                          Born on The 4th of July
                          JFK
                          Nixon
                          Natural Born Killers

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

The fact that Oliver Stone even has the balls to even take on the complex and risky issues surrounding 9/11 and the Bush administration (or dictation?) related issues, simply confirms once again that he's one of the greatest American film makers - ever!

Well, at least in my eyes for what they're worth.
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post

Although ultimately, I'd love Stone to grab onto THIS.
                              LOL. They really do look alike. If true it explains everything.

Comment

Elizabeth Banks Cast as Laura Bush in Oliver Stone's Biopic?!
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X