No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super 8 = E.T.?

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
    It's E.T in a What If? universe where Steven Spielberg was replaced by Michael Bay.
    Dude, don't scare me!!!
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
      Dude, don't scare me!!!
      Dude, Schindler's List is gonna ROCK I can not WAIT

Comment

E.T. was the alien's story. Super 8 is Elliot's story (metaphorically speaking). I can appreciate the difficulty it must have posed working with something as plot-dependent as an alien in a character-driven piece. I think it's great that they tried moving it into a different direction while maintaining the childlike innocence of E.T.
        life happens
        despite a few cracked pots-
        and random sunlight

Comment

Super 8 was okay. Not as re-watchable as Spielberg's early classics.

Didn't remind me of E.T. It felt more like Close Encounters meets Cloverfield Jr.

Comment

my bad. i meant that they are stories with a completely different focus: an alien's story and a child's story. i felt the resemblance between the two films was light and subtle: both have an alien and a child cast at center; an easy banter between children; and an emotion beat between an alien and a child as they recognize they need each other to survive.

i liked super 8. it's interesting to me how many (including myself) focus on the children as carrying the story because i feel the story is actually designed for that takeaway. if i had to draw a comparison, i think it's more along the lines of stand by me.
            life happens
            and random sunlight

Comment

Yeah, to the point where the alien story line was extraneous.

Comment

Yeah - if E.T. was a lot more crappy and directed by Micheal Bay.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by asjah8 View Post
                  my bad. i meant that they are stories with a completely different focus: an alien's story and a child's story. i felt the resemblance between the two films was light and subtle: both have an alien and a child cast at center; an easy banter between children; and an emotion beat between an alien and a child as they recognize they need each other to survive.

i liked super 8. it's interesting to me how many (including myself) focus on the children as carrying the story because i feel the story is actually designed for that takeaway. if i had to draw a comparison, i think it's more along the lines of stand by me.

Agreed. I recently saw it on DVD, and I took from it the sense of Joseph, who's kind of Abrams's homage to the legendary makeup artist, Dick Smith (The Exorcist, Taxi Driver) growing up, after his mother dies. The alien's appearance is the rite of passage for him as was finding Ray Brower's body was for Gordie in Stand By Me.

My only complaint: I wish the film didn't end because it was so beautiful and fun, especially with the kids (Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning, particularly) and Deputy Lamb (though I didn't watch 'Friday Night Lights", Kyle Chandler deserved his Emmy).
                  Last edited by Madbandit; 12-12-2011, 03:17 PM.
                  "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Super 8 > E.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                      Super 8 > E.T.

I...wait, that little > thing means better than right?

So, you're saying...no, I must have this wrong. You can't be-

Okay. I got nothing.
                      "Only nothing is impossible."
                      - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                        I...wait, that little > thing means better than right?

So, you're saying...no, I must have this wrong. You can't be-

Okay. I got nothing.

Yeah, Bio's saying Super 8's better than E.T., which is a bit much, because, IMO, they're on the same level.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                          IMO, they're on the same level.
                          E.T. has nostalgia going for it. Apart from that, it's a very plain film that would in no way be able to stand on its own in today's modern film arena. It was good because it was original at the time, but this is a different time, and having gone back to watch E.T. a year ago left me feeling cold.

Comment

nah, e.t. has a whole lot more than just nostalgia going for it. an alien's story with a child as the window character... similar - i try to imagine myself writing twister from the perspective of the tornado using a granny as the window character and... well, that's the drift... hard, intricate stuff worth more than a casual passing nod.

i dunno, everyone has their likes and dislikes. i get the sense that people really liked the dynamics between the kids in super 8; so imho, there's no reason to assume e.t. wouldn't do well in today's market if it was fresh and new. thoughts?
                            life happens
                            and random sunlight

Comment

Saw Super 8 and Cowboys and Aliens back to back. The aliens looked almost identical. Is there a rent-an-alien store in LA? Wasn't a great night for movies.

Comment

I liked the first half to SUPER 8. Because it began as a simple coming-to-age drama with a mysterious angle...and therefore was a great homage to the late 70's - early 80's.

Then once the monster is revealed, everything literally falls apart in the second half which was very disappointing. Sure, it reminded me of ET, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, THE GOONIES and possibly STAND BY ME but it still tried something different...just didn't succeed for whatever reason.

However, early marketing of the film with that first teaser was really awesome...like it was with CLOVERFIELD...where they shot the trailer before the actual production.

Anyway, SUPER 8 still generated $259,936,677 worldwide from a $50 mil budget...so it's safe to assume there will be a sequel in the works sometime in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X