Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
ddlogan
User

Thumbs up Dreamworks

Good article from deadline for anyone wanting to work with dreamworks or their related companies.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/repo...l/#more-254754
ddlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Levenger

Default Re: dreamworks

Oh good. No way I was going to sell my script to DW before now.
Levenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
holly
Regular

Default Re: dreamworks

that article was worth reading for this comment alone in the comments section:
"Also, audiences did respond to War Horse.
Itís the highest grossing World War I pic of all time and the second highest grossing horse movie."
holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
ColeBlackburn
User

Default Re: Dreamworks

What I find unbelievable is that a man who has made billions of dollars in the industry, has a huge track record, is probably the face of American filmmaking and yet he can't get movies started because of money. It is astounding. And we wonder why we can't find funding? You'd think he'd walk in, snap his fingers and money would fall on him from heaven. Maybe we should take up a collection.
ColeBlackburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
jtwg50

Cole: The reason why even Spielberg has trouble raising $$$ today is that the business is quite different, scarily different, from when he was in his prime -- and the golden boy. In strict, simple business terms, Hollywood is in real trouble as an industry. 1) Fewer movies are getting made each year, 2) The cost of making them is going up and up, to ridiculous heights, 3) Fewer people are buying tickets each year (the only way the sacred $10 billion domestic box office gross is being maintained year to year is via higher ticket prices and the 3-D premium), 4) A lot of movies lose money, often big money, 5) Money is much harder to come by for everybody, and 6) Nobody, not even Spielberg, gets a pass anymore.
All of that adds up to even more terror and paranoia than usual, since everyone also knows the industry runs on fear (especially of losing one's job over a single disastrous decision).
It remains to be seen what will ultimately come of all this, but it's not good for anybody -- or the business. Sad but true.
jtwg50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
ddlogan
User

A little update.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/drea...igns/#comments
Old 04-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
jtwg50

Yeah, saw that Deadline post myself this morning. 'Nuff said. I think the movie business is in for some seismic change over the next several years -- and that it will be a very good thing for most of us aspiring writers and filmmakers. Although few if any people agree with me, I predict a democratization of the whole process and broad new digital distribution platforms like VOD that will empower lots of us to make movies that make money, but many of which never see traditional theatres. I hope that's the case, and that's what I'm planning on.
jtwg50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
ddlogan
User

And it continues.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/drea...utive-resigns/