Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #21
DavidK

Default Re: How to approach an A-list director in my family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejc View Post
You talk like there are some great opportunities for mediocre writing.
I certainly didn't expect anyone to infer that, but there's the sort of writing that attracts A-list talent, and there's writing that finds other niches in the market. The difference between the two might not be huge, but it's big enough. But I also realize many other factors come into play. A script that works wonderfully with a particular cast, director and treatment can be a flop in other hands. There's a lot of chemistry and fortune involved.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
mikejc
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK View Post
I certainly didn't expect anyone to infer that, but there's the sort of writing that attracts A-list talent, and there's writing that finds other niches in the market. The difference between the two might not be huge, but it's big enough. But I also realize many other factors come into play. A script that works wonderfully with a particular cast, director and treatment can be a flop in other hands. There's a lot of chemistry and fortune involved.
Yes, I get your point.
mikejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
polfilmblog
User

Just an idea. You could ask him if he would let you read any of the scripts he considers good, because you're studying screenwriting. Very simple request. Doesn't push your stuff on him, simply alerts him that you're in the game. Also broaches the subject of his taste and what he finds to be good writing.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
BattleDolphinZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Striver View Post
Have someone with a wide knowledge base and shrewd insight read it, someone like ScriptGal, and then explicitly ask her if this script is good enough to show to an A-list director. (She'd probably have some excellent notes on how to make it better, so what you'd really be asking is will it be good enough after I fix some of the problems and address some of your notes.)
smart.

tell her/or scriptmechanic to be brutally honest.
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
BattleDolphinZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejc View Post
If he had all those things, he wouldn't need to be related.

I once had a situation where one of my daughter's friends father was an A list show runner. I knew him and met him a few times from that connection. I asked him to help me on something and he was more than happy to read over some stuff and give me help. And, we're still friends. And, he'd still read over something if I asked.

Approached respectfully, and if there is some legitimate connection, these people are not asses. They are not like some piece of glass about to break.

And, if they are asses, it likely wouldn't matter how good your stuff was, they wouldn't read it in the first place to even find out if it was good.
Flip side, a vast majority of the A-Listers I know HATE having to read people's sh!t. They're nice about it but they fvcking hate it. And the people who give them the scripts almost always make them regret it with too much interaction post contact.

This doesn't mean you don't go for it. I am a big believer in 'do what you gotta do' to survive, just saying there is a 9-10 chance that the OP is going to make this director groan when/if he asks.

That's life.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #26
Deion22

I think you guys or over thinking this. Two years ago -- with no rep I had a friend of mine have his A-list brother who is a director read my script. He read it and requested a meeting with me and my writing partner. He liked the writing, didn't want to do the project but talked to us about some of his other projects he was interested in doing. We still have a great relationship with him.

These people are all human. My ex-agent, had two huge A-list writers read a script of mine, they wanted to meet us, and we still talk to this day. I doubt the director will have you barred from family reunions if he doesn't like the script. It may just not be his cup of tea, he even may be willing to help you or point you in the right direction.

Contrary to belief, lots of people in this industry like to help people -- they just don't like to have to bend over backwards to do so, especially if it doesn't benefit them. I'm no one and I like to help people. Look how much Jeff Lowell, Derek Haas, Battledolphin, Craig Mazin, Todd Karate, MichaelB, Sbscript, ScriptGal, and Brian Koppleman help complete strangers on here. People relate with the struggle, and no one got anywhere by themselves, so most want to help people reach their dreams.

I would have someone in the industry read your script, see what they think first, then if it's good enough, I would approach the director through his wife.
Deion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
mikejc
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
Flip side, a vast majority of the A-Listers I know HATE having to read people's sh!t. They're nice about it but they fvcking hate it. And the people who give them the scripts almost always make them regret it with too much interaction post contact.

This doesn't mean you don't go for it. I am a big believer in 'do what you gotta do' to survive, just saying there is a 9-10 chance that the OP is going to make this director groan when/if he asks.

That's life.
I agree if it's someone with no real connection, or a tenuous connection or a distant one.

My son is partners with a person who is immediate family of 2 True A list directors. He's considered part of the family almost. But, I would never, ever ask him to take a script of mine to either. There's no real connection.

My point to the OP was; make sure it's good, but, due to the connection, don't
worry so much about asking--in a respectful way.
mikejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
BattleDolphinZero

Agree. Wasn't even really meaning to contradict you directly. Was kinda just making a general point that probably served no purpose on this thread. Plus a friend of ours was just wondering how to get out of reading someone's script.

Again, I think the smart thing is whoever posted that the OP get a round of notes from Mechanic/Scriptgirl first. No harm in that.