Halloween's "Back From The Dead" Writ Exer.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween's "Back From The Dead" Writ Exer.

It's here at last:

"Back From The Dead"

Halloween Writing Exercise

Requirements:

8 Pages

Screenplay Format

What do I write?

Your call... however a haunting Halloween-inspired tale would do very nicely...

Make it: Grim. Funny. Macabre.

When do I write it?

Between 1st October and 31st October 2013

DEADLINE ... is ... MIDNIGHT:

31st October 2013

Where and how do you want me to send it to the Competition Admin?

Send either to Dpat or The Road Warrior

... at any time up to and including the DEADLINE as a PDF please!

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 09-30-2013, 03:23 AM. Reason: ...ongoing refinements
    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Re: Halloween's "Back From The Dead" Writ Exer.

Woot! Brought to you by the unbeatable team of and

Export/submit your entries as PDF files please, email to dpaterson57 at gmail.com - subject line "Halloween contest" would be a great help!

PRIZES from our generous sponsor are detailed here, if you didn't already know!

Comment

Okay, we're off, I've set it up a day early good folks of done deal, working around my schedule, . I think we can close the other Halloween thread now, to avoid confusion, and discuss the competition within this one...

As ever, any queries, refinements, requests even: please ask away in here or by way of a PM, we're quite friendly and open...

And as in previous years, banter is encouraged in here, and although by no means compulsory, please mention if you are thinking of entering or are entering in here, just gives us an idea of numbers!

We are also keen to invite VOTERS to the competition, or READER/VOTERS, may be a better way of describing the role of those who haven't entered, or ran out of time, but wish to make a contribution to helping this thing role out.
      Last edited by The Road Warrior; 09-30-2013, 03:12 AM.
      Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Oh, and we need some BANNER BOYS, [or girls] please. by using your signature space to show other posters where we are and that this is on like Donkey Kong...

Gettin' word out isn't always easy and new posters may miss this informal Done Deal Exercise, amidst the many many other attention- grabbing compets out there, I'm aware that we have a pre-existing coterie of hard a$$ and kick a$$ regulars, but I'm always mindful of potential suckers, I mean potential new blood that's out there and doesn't know about us.
        Last edited by The Road Warrior; 10-02-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Now, with all that formal stuff out of the way we can lighten up and by all means... please chat away...

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 09-30-2013, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Sir, sir, how many short scripts can I enter into this fine contest? 2? 5? More?

Comment

You may enter up to 2 scripts of 8 pages each, laddy......................... but please bear in mind, you may be dividing your forces, or increasing them - depending on one's POV, if you wish to win or gain golden opinions of your work!

Either way, you'll still become immortal after this!

Comment

After some discussion the NAMING of the contest has broken away from the alliterative, such as the majestic Halloween Hellraisers, the title of our last grim outing in 2012, and a few titles were rejected, including~ the "Don't Put Your Children's Fingers in the Liquidizer, Halloween Writing Exercise" in favour of a more, erm, classical horror title shall we say...

Just some brief insight there into the hard work that goes into these competitions behind the scenes that you, dear entrant, don't often see!

Comment

I'm in. Sometime around the Valentine's Day exercise I got a terrible idea that I thought might be a better fit for Halloween.

If you are a shy, noob, I encourage you to take a stab at this. It's fun and you'll probably learn some things.

Also, I steal signatures.
                  On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

First: 8 pages a minimum, maximum, or guideline?
                    Second: to submit, do we PM first?
                    Third: I frickin' love Gummy Bears.

SL35
                    SL35
                    Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

8 pages maximum. I don't think there is a minimum, but I wouldn't want to test a micro entry in case participants thought I was being a time-wasting ass.

To submit, no PM necessary, export a PDF of your script and email this to me, see post #2 above. Everyone uses different software but PDF gives me a common format I can then launder into forum posts.

Entries will be posted in another thread, with author info stripped out so they're anonymous. Readers will then be asked to read the entries, pick their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices, and PM or email their picks to me, e.g.

1st - Haunted House
                      2nd - Back from Beyond
                      3rd - Burial Ground

Enjoy the writing and deliver a great script that wins the contest, what could be easier?

Comment

Grim, funny, macabre? You just rang the dinner bell. Count me in.
                        Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

I'm in!
                          "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Do shout out if you're about and entering... if you're a greenhorn to this compet, most of us do something like this:

Scratch our heads and look puzzled.

Then an idea forms, hopefully.

Sketch out a few handwritten notes, maybe just seeing how some crazy idea will progress over 8 pages, you'll need the 8 to set-up a begin/middle/end btw, we've found it's a tricky length, anything shorter, being a bit of a struggle. Longer, would take off the pressure and difficult to format in here, and read, so 8 pages is the carefully chosen number.

Write it up, of course!

And then be sure to leave some time for rewrites, watch the pesky rewrite time, as it catches most of us out.

Remember that this is also a chance to experiment, so you may find your writing becoming a bit whacky, in a way a 90/120 pager would never be! It just goes like that in here.

nb, the PMs I've had before tend to be queries about what it's okay to to submit.... e.g. ... the poster/entrant has or wishes to begin work on the first 8 pages of a full 90/120 page screenplay. And even if they get to 14 pages, enter the first 8.... now, that's okay if the theme fits!

BUT, I think the spirit of this contest is to start fresh, at day one, that's 1st Oct, and use it as a deadlined exercise, do that to yourself and you will get more out of it, and then enjoy the discussion and goodwill of the feedback afterwards, the best part, for many.

And it all ends on Halloween, which adds to the atmosphere and is often more than a little spooky. Strange things begin to happen sometimes too.

Comment

Oh and welcome guys and I've just had a PM also, so interest is building, Welcome and have fun, it's mainly about having some FUN.

Comment

Working...
                              X