Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Writers & Scripts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #101
odocoileus

Default Re: Diablo Cody article

I don't recall. Did Ed Burn's looks factor into discussions about his success as a writer-director?

If not, why not?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ED+B...IVjimICh1N6QI-
Old 08-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #102
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnequalProductions View Post
Well, I still think there's a valuable argument to be had here. We had a thread about a female writer, and it barely got to the second page before someone felt the need to comment on the physical appearance of women in screenwriting.

Do you think if someone posted an interview with John August, that there would have been a comment about whether or not there was a bias toward good looking male writers?
No, but there may well have been an argument about his race, his ethnicity (appearance), or his parentage. He comes from a privileged class. He has a leg up from the start, it's not offensive to discuss that. It's no different.

You're still being snarky. Somehow I "felt the need" to comment on appearance. Same thing from you, you should try and recognize it.

I commented on appearance because we were talking about someone who was being presented by the media in a fashion generated in part by her appearance which was in part generated by her stripper backstory. Just go back and read the press on her and try and tell me I'm off.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #103
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Boellner View Post
Because there's no topic here. The last 7 pages have been an argument over a miscommunication. The only possible topic to debate is whether women face a negative bias in this industry, and every other for that matter. That feels like a non-argument to me, so I don't feel the need to offer an opinion on it.

In response to the rest of your post, there's really not much I can say. Most of us here are strong-headed, myself very much so. I don't think anyone was wrong in this thread, so much as I think there was a miscommunication/misunderstanding, and when it created the appearance of two "sides," everyone dug in their heels for the fight. If this were a comedy, it'd be a good one.
What's funny here is that you had nothing to say on the topic but jumped in to argue about intentions and interpretation for seven pages as per your statement above.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #104
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
That there's a bias towards attractive male writers? No. Even if he was a Chippendales dancer, I don't think that would have come up.
No way a guy working as a male stripper while trying to break in doesn't get covered. Impossible.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #105
UnequalProductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
No way a guy working as a male stripper while trying to break in doesn't get covered. Impossible.
If a male stripper sold a script, I could see comments about how he personally benefited from being attractive. But do you think it would spawn a "bias towards attractive male screenwriters" comment? Because of all the gorgeous guys in the Writers Guild?

Even if a former stripper sold a script, he still had to write a fairly descent script. There are thousands of beautiful people in Los Angeles. Why aren't they all selling screenplays left and right?

And again, what is the purpose of bringing up anyone's physical appearance on a forum for screenwriting? Male or female, focusing on a screenwriters attractiveness is a way of dismissing the quality of their work. I don't care how pretty you are, no one is going to spend millions of dollars producing your screenplay because you're cute.
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #106
Eric Boellner
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
What's funny here is that you had nothing to say on the topic but jumped in to argue about intentions and interpretation for seven pages as per your statement above.
Bro. I jumped in on page 7...
Old 08-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #107
sc111

Quote:
Quote:
My 13 year old pulls this stunt. ...

Me: "It's seven o'clock and you haven't done your homework or studied for your test."

Her: "Actually, it's three minutes to seven."

As if me being slightly incorrect about the time gives her a free pass to ignore the actual point.

Of course it doesn't get her the free pass. Nor should you. Personally, you've lost all credibility for me. OOooh, and by the way, I don't think being identified as a SJW is a compliment.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #108
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Ahh, my mistake.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #109
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
If a male stripper sold a script, I could see comments about how he personally benefited from being attractive. But do you think it would spawn a "bias towards attractive male screenwriters" comment? Because of all the gorgeous guys in the Writers Guild?

Even if a former stripper sold a script, he still had to write a fairly descent script. There are thousands of beautiful people in Los Angeles. Why aren't they all selling screenplays left and right?

And again, what is the purpose of bringing up anyone's physical appearance on a forum for screenwriting? Male or female, focusing on a screenwriters attractiveness is a way of dismissing the quality of their work. I don't care how pretty you are, no one is going to spend millions of dollars producing your screenplay because you're cute.
I'm pretty sure I just explained the reason, re: Diablo Cody, maybe four posts back. Did you not read that?

You said no one would bother to mention if a guy was a stripper when he wrote a script. you're just flat out wrong.

The bias that benefits men is not around attractiveness, actually, it's around the fact that they are men. And, if they are white and from an upper middle class background so much the better.

You are missing on literally every point here.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #110
Eric Boellner
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
My 13 year old pulls this stunt. ...
But I'm the one who's condescending.

Maybe your 13 year old knows there's no point in arguing with you?