Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2019, 04:34 AM   #11
Centos

Default Re: Wrap for Fountain files ... but what's with "Estella?"

If you download Courier Prime, Wrap will use it instead of Courier-New. I wanted to see if you could also use Courier Screenplay. Yes, you can, but it's a bit of a kludge. There's an undocumented flag called --font, which requires you use the following format ...

wrap pdf estella.fountain --font "CourierScreenplay.ttf, CourierScreenplay-Bold.ttf, CourierScreenplay-Italic.ttf, CourierScreenplay-BoldItalic.ttf"

It works, but (at least so far) it appears you have to list all four files by name in the order shown (regular, bold, italic and bold-italic). I also had to move copies of these font files into the directory where I was using Wrap. Also note the commas in the font list. Required. I've just pasted the font list into Simplenote and will copy and paste when I need to use Wrap and want the Courier Screenplay font.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #12
ComicBent

So he was using a SHOT format for anything that began with EST because of ESTABLISHING?

I have done some programming, and I have to say that this is the kind of thing that a programmer should know would lead to errors. Crappy programming. Not a good sign.

By the way, I thought about the Italian EST for EXT, but I did not know where the programmer was from. I thought of it because I saw an Italian name somewhere when I went to Github to download the file, but I did not know if the name was that of the programmer.

Honestly, Centos, why don't you ditch Trelby? It is an abandoned program, as far as I know. Years ago I asked the developer about Unicode in Trelby (after it was renamed to Trelby), and I received an answer something like: "Naw, I don't think we will be doing that." I checked Github just now and saw that the most recent work on Trelby was three years ago, and these were two completely trivial items. And it is still written in Python 2.7 (the only "accepted" version for Trelby), though Python is now in version 3.7, supports Unicode, and is available in 64-bit).

You could use Fade In (available for Linux), write in Fountain if you want to, and import into Fade In. I do this frequently. Then you can produce a PDF from within Fade In (under FILE > Create PDF). And you get a screenwriting application with fantastic features, things like alternate scenes and alternate versions of paragraphs. And free upgrades.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #13
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
So he was using a SHOT format for anything that began with EST because of ESTABLISHING?

I have done some programming, and I have to say that this is the kind of thing that a programmer should know would lead to errors. Crappy programming. Not a good sign.
I'm just happy it's working and was impressed with how quickly the fix was implemented.

Quote:
Honestly, Centos, why don't you ditch Trelby? It is an abandoned program, as far as I know. Years ago I asked the developer about Unicode in Trelby (after it was renamed to Trelby), and I received an answer something like: "Naw, I don't think we will be doing that." I checked Github just now and saw that the most recent work on Trelby was three years ago, and these were two completely trivial items. And it is still written in Python 2.7 (the only "accepted" version for Trelby), though Python is now in version 3.7, supports Unicode, and is available in 64-bit).
I've got to admit that Osku Salerma is a "take it or leave it" sort of person. But I like Trelby. I like its simplicity and its ability to be customized. And I was with it from the day its beta was first announced on October 9th, 2004 at the misc.writing.screenplays newsgroup. I think I was its first beta tester. When in December, 2004 Osku Salerma announced Blyte 1.0, I tried to get him to change the name to either (ironically) Fade In or Smash Cut. But he liked "Blyte" and that was that — until he put it in the public domain (sometime in 2007, I believe). Then Anil Gulecha came along and they relaunched as Trelby in January, 2012.

How Blyte was revived as Trelby.
https://www.gulecha.org/2012/01/02/presenting-trelby

I know it doesn't have Unicode support, but neither did the "standard" Final Draft until it's latest release. I still don't think Movie Magic Screenwriter has Unicode support (I may be wrong on that). An easy workaround for me is to simply export from Trelby to Fountain, edit my "--" to "—" (main thing I use Unicode for) and use the CLI versions of Wrap, 'Afterwriting or Screenplain to produce a "Unicoded" PDF. Trelby is still widely used, especially in the Linux community and can now use the python-wxgtk3.0 library. (You have to search on GitHub or the Trelby forums to find the 2.3 version, however. I have it on my free website ready for download.)

The ability to use Courier Screenplay (both for display and PDF export) makes Trelby look almost modern.

Quote:
You could use Fade In (available for Linux), write in Fountain if you want to, and import into Fade In. I do this frequently. Then you can produce a PDF from within Fade In (under FILE > Create PDF). And you get a screenwriting application with fantastic features, things like alternate scenes and alternate versions of paragraphs. And free upgrades.
I know I could use Fade In Pro but I'm not really a writer. I like the challenge of "making it work" or "making do." I originally got involved with screenplay writing because I wanted to get in on the political arguments at misc.writing.screenplays (my brother had been there for a while). Then I started playing around with the demo version of ScriptThing for DOS (eventually purchasing it). So, basically, I started writing short screenplays so I would have something to do with the software. But it was really the software I wanted to use. Then I moved to ScriptThing for Windows until I started using Linux full time, and when Trelby came out I glomed on to it and ran with it. I like KIT Scenarist and the demo version of Fade In pro, but both are really more than I need for writing short screenplays and screenplay snippets. Trelby really does all I need, even though I still like playing around with other options.

I do like Kent Tessman and I like his multi-platform Fade In Pro. I even was going to buy the software just to support a Linux option, but when I got to the site I saw the price had jumped to $80 from $50 and figured, "that's too much to show support." (Though, I admit, it's a great price if you really need the software.) The thing is, I really wouldn't use the software as I don't need all its features. I'm happy with what I've got.

Last edited by Centos : 04-16-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Centos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
ComicBent

Centos,

(Movie Magic) Screenwriter has not had an upgrade in years, as far as I know, and I do check every once in a while. I was actually a beta-tester for version 6, and that was a long time ago. I was still using a dial-up internet connection in those days. Damn, that was horrible. So Screenwriter has definite limitations, and honestly I do not know why anyone would use it today. Sorry to have to say that, because they were really nice people. I do not think that they try to compete in the area of scriptwriting software anymore. I think they concentrate on their scheduling software, and maybe on some other things.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #15
Centos

Quote:
(Movie Magic) Screenwriter has not had an upgrade in years, ...
I know. It's kind of sad. But if I was still running Windows I would probably still be using it.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:27 AM   #16
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centos View Post
I know. It's kind of sad. But if I was still running Windows I would probably still be using it.
I still do run Windows and I still use MMS2000 when I do.

A formatter is a formatter and Movie Magic is dependable.

I once gave Final Draft (a demo version) a try. Fortunately I was just messing around, but it barfed on me, completely, and I lost twenty pages. I couldn't recover the backups either. So it got deleted right away

I tried Fade In a few years ago. I didn't have any problems with it -- I just didn't see the point of learning a new program. I'm not really interested in all the bells and whistles.

I do use the formatter at "youmescript.com", just so I can work on a script whether I'm using a Chromebook, Linux of Windows, since it's online. I even bought the pro version of it. (It's pretty cheap.)

But it does have its limitations and I usually do the final formatting in MMS2000.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #17
dpaterso

Hey, no argument wanted or intended. I can see as how these utilities are handy when you're not on a solid Windows platform and need another option. So yay for this thread. But Movie Magic Screenwriter is great and Trelby is entirely functional, regardless of when they last got updated. Not everyone wants to be a test pilot.

dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #18
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaterso View Post
Hey, no argument wanted or intended. I can see as how these utilities are handy when you're not on a solid Windows platform and need another option. So yay for this thread. But Movie Magic Screenwriter is great and Trelby is entirely functional, regardless of when they last got updated. Not everyone wants to be a test pilot.
A "solid" Windows platform? From what mythical world do you come from?

Fade In Pro is very good and is an established competitor to Final Draft now. I'm guessing it's probably displaced Movie Magic Screenwriter as the new "number 2." (At least in the Windows world. There are some pretty nice applications only available for Mac users, like Highland.) If I still used Windows I might (to correct an earlier post) use MMS, but it's getting almost to the point that any software I use absolutely needs to import/export Fountain files. (I still like the way MMS/ScriptThing looks and works, however.) The only reason I would ever use Final Draft is if someone required it for collaboration. KIT Scenarist is getting pretty slick, and it's actively developed (they just released the latest release candidate with a few more new features). Agree about Trelby, completely functional even though development basically stopped in 2012.

As for Wrap, Screenplain and 'Afterwriting, I see them as more than just utilities. Fountain format has become a pretty big deal and you can write and perfectly format screenplays using only your favorite text editor and one of these applications. Although, with Trelby, KIT Scenarist and (for a relatively small price if your serious about screenplays) Fade In Pro, even Linux users have great, full-featured, screenplay applications to work with. (And then there's a slew of online screenplay applications.) Quite a bit different than it was a few years ago.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:31 AM   #19
dpaterso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centos View Post
A "solid" Windows platform? From what mythical world do you come from?
Heh. A mythical world where, when you download and install a program and click on the icon, it runs! Without having to figure a heap of stuff out.

That's not to say everything else you're saying isn't useful.

dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:24 AM   #20
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaterso View Post
Heh. A mythical world where, when you download and install a program and click on the icon, it runs! Without having to figure a heap of stuff out.
I'm guessing you haven't run Linux in a while. In Linux Mint, if I want to run Fade In Pro, KIT Scenarist or Trelby I just go the sites, download the .deb install files and click on them.

fadein-linux-amd64-demo.deb (Debian)

KIT Scenarist ...

Download the latest version (deb-package, 64 bit)

I've uploaded Trelby to my own site to make it easier to find ...

https://screenplayshorts.000webhosta...lby2.3-all.deb

Actually, for most applications, Linux (with its repository system) makes it easier to install standard applications than does Windows, because it's all in one place. These utilities that I'm talking about are not fun in Windows (at all). Basically, for example, there's only one version of Popplar Utilities that renders text correctly from PDF (I know, because I had to work hard to find it when I wanted to replicate it my setup on my Windows partition). Popplar Utilities comes installed by default on Linux Mint.

Modern Linux is easier to install and maintain than Windows. It's just different and there is a month (or so) learning curve for someone who only works with Windows.