Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #51
Bono

Default Re: Querying studios

I think they say a good baseball manager wins a team 10 games a year... so I wonder how often a good rep sells a spec of unknown writer?

As in, would the same spec that sold with Manager X sell with Manager Y if it's same time and place and no notes given?

Is the rep the thing at all or just getting credit for great work and great timing on buyers parts.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #52
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
I mean, in general, the problem small management companies face is that they don't have the manpower to cover buyers, which limits their information, which limits their effectiveness. There are a few exceptions-- one-man shops made up of ex-agents, for instance, are often still being slipped good, up-to-date grids by their former agencies.

But from what I understand, John and Jeff really aren't in that business. They pretty much develop specs and send them out and that's it. If they get you good agents who'll do the rest, and you're comfortable with that setup, great. But it's a very different experience than being repped at Kaplan/Perrone or 3Arts or 360, etc., with attendant pros and cons. You have to decide which pros outweigh which cons for you.

I'm with them, Bellevue. I don't have any complaints. I do like their degree of developing with clients (they dig in deep, I need that), but I do a lot of my own networking as well, so?

Kaplan just passed on me. I kinda don't get it. I used to be with CAA then Resolution/Gotham. Sh!t is super tough right now. Probably just gonna get worse.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #53
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I think they say a good baseball manager wins a team 10 games a year... so I wonder how often a good rep sells a spec of unknown writer?

As in, would the same spec that sold with Manager X sell with Manager Y if it's same time and place and no notes given?

Is the rep the thing at all or just getting credit for great work and great timing on buyers parts.
Tough question IMO.

I used to think I knew what I was talking about. Not any more. So ignore my comments, generally.

But, I will say this, I was instrumental in making one of the biggest book to film deals in Hollywood. Oscar/Globe nom for best pic. I've been on the other side of the desk, is my only point (not trying to grandstand). All I can say is, it was a hard deal to make. One of the most stressful days of my life (although, note I said "one day." Being a writer is FAR harder! WAY!). I don't think pedigree mattered to FOX whatsoever. I don't think it helped us make the deal. I think the only thing that helped us was me being a "d!ck" and refusing to take a crap deal for the writer, because MY GOD there were many people trying to *make* us take a crap deal. WHAT?? Thats the weird part of a huge deal, more incoming calls demanding you take the sh!tty deal in favor of everyone but the writer (WHAT!??). It's fukkin weird. That's what's happening behind closed doors with these mega deals with huge writers. I couldn't believe the pressure on us to take a sh!t deal and sell out the client. I will never trust certain people in the industry based on that deal.

Again... nearly 4 million vs 300k. I protected the writer, I'm proud of that. Literally, I was about to be homeless and I said "NO" to a bad deal. I risked everything so that this writer would not get screwed because I knew what it was worth. And I was right.

Btw... The writer does not know this story. I wish I could tell them what really went down behind their back. They are a huge writer and have no idea how many people where against them during this deal. This industry is bizarre.

Last edited by GucciGhostXXX : 07-01-2019 at 04:14 PM.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote