No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attachments to project

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
    You have a script out to Brad, Matt, and Denzel at the same time (these are the first names that popped to mind, so don't over analyze). Anyway, Brad and Denzel both want to play the lead. That means you have to pick one and tell the other no thank you. I think you can see the dilemma inherent in this situation, and that's why you send to one at a time.

I get the basic idea of it (and the etiquette of course) but it still doesn’t make much sense on a practical level. It’s essentially giving the actor far too much power in the process in an era when the ‘movie star draw’ is fading fast as franchises & IP take centre stage. I mean when you think about it, when a hot script hits the market nobody bats an eyelid that multiple producers take the property into multiple buyers. Or when the writer then sells said hot script and in turn rejects some of those other major buyers. It’s not like those studios who the writer passed on, then don’t want to do business with that writer when they create another awesome piece of material.

We waited 4 months for an a-lister’s agents to read, like the project, pass it onto the a-lister only for them to read and pass. Why? It wasn’t something they were looking to do. The a-lister’s agents then suggested another big client. Which is great in one sense yes but in another it means we’re now beholden to this one read. The project sits idle. It’s frustrating.

This isn’t the first time either. This is the 9th project in 3 years I’ve had that’s needed to be packaged. I’ve another 2 doing the same thing at this very moment. One sub after another. Anyhoo, I’m venting. I’m hugely grateful that some amazing names (who’s work I admire) are reading the material, I just wish the process was different. Sigh.
    Last edited by Mintclub; 09-02-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I decided to write something that needed far less packaging and far less money for similar reasons to those.

But nine would have broken me. Oof.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
        I decided to write something that needed far less packaging and far less money for similar reasons to those.

But nine would have broken me. Oof.
        Ha, yeah it's been tough!

I think you're onto something there re avoiding the packaging route.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
          I get the basic idea of it (and the etiquette of course) but it still doesn’t make much sense on a practical level. It’s essentially giving the actor far too much power in the process in an era when the ‘movie star draw’ is fading fast as franchises & IP take centre stage. I mean when you think about it, when a hot script hits the market nobody bats an eyelid that multiple producers take the property into multiple buyers. Or when the writer then sells said hot script and in turn rejects some of those other major buyers. It’s not like those studios who the writer passed on, then don’t want to do business with that writer when they create another awesome piece of material.

We waited 4 months for an a-lister’s agents to read, like the project, pass it onto the a-lister only for them to read and pass. Why? It wasn’t something they were looking to do. The a-lister’s agents then suggested another big client. Which is great in one sense yes but in another it means we’re now beholden to this one read. The project sits idle. It’s frustrating.

This isn’t the first time either. This is the 9th project in 3 years I’ve had that’s needed to be packaged. I’ve another 2 doing the same thing at this very moment. One sub after another. Anyhoo, I’m venting. I’m hugely grateful that some amazing names (who’s work I admire) are reading the material, I just wish the process was different. Sigh.
          The solution is simple. Give the offer of exclusivity a deadline.

If we don't hear from your client in 30 days, we reserve the right to rescind the offer and move on to the next client.

Risky? Perhaps. But that's something you can do.

If your script doesn't have that kind of power, (and you won't know until you try) then you have to settle for the status quo, right? Good that you're grateful. You're in a good place, even if it is frustrating.
          Last edited by finalact4; 09-06-2020, 12:19 PM.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            The solution is simple. Give the offer of exclusivity a deadline.

If we don't hear from your client in 30 days, we reserve the right to rescind the offer and move on to the next client.
            Good morning, actor. Your movie, should you choose to accept it ... ... .... This script will self-destruct in five days.
            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
              Good morning, actor. Your movie, should you choose to accept it ... ... .... This script will self-destruct in five days.
              The first time an A-list Actor loses a script to someone they are in direct competition with, and that Actor wins an Oscar or other accolade, will be the last time that A-list Actor postpones, or declines a read. Yes, I get that it's not that simple. But what if it were?

Time is money.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

The first time an A-list Actor loses a script to someone they are in direct competition with, and that Actor wins an Oscar or other accolade, will be the last time that A-list Actor postpones, or declines a read. Yes, I get that it's not that simple. But what if it were?

Time is money.
                MOVIE IMPOSSIBLE

Comedy Drama

After a C-list actor delays reading a script and loses a potentially Oscar-winning part to an A-list star, he teams-up with his ex-marine manager and tech-obsessed agent and embarks on a high-risk mission to make the role his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                  MOVIE IMPOSSIBLE

Comedy Drama

After a C-list actor delays reading a script and loses a potentially Oscar-winning part to an A-list star, he teams-up with his ex-marine manager and tech-obsessed agent and embarks on a high-risk mission to make the role his own.
                  Okay, I have to admit-- I'd watch that. LOL

Comment

Okay, I have to admit-- I'd watch that. LOL
                    Naturally, both the C-list actor and the A-list star would be played by Nicolas Cage.

Comment

Working...
                    X