WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the BEST?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the BEST?

Obviously, this is an unstable time for writers and representatives alike.

I don't want to attempt to take advantage of a precarious situation.

I've been seeking representation for the last few months and have several full script requests.

If I follow-up with any of these guys, will they be too busy/frantic/crazed to even care right now - or will they be scrambling to find new people?

I'm fully aware that the likelihood is that the agents and the WGA will work something out within the next few weeks, but just wondering how best to proceed as a previously unrepped talent seeking representation?

Thanks, gang.
    - Skunk
    Last edited by Cokeyskunk; 04-16-2019, 07:57 AM.

-- is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the best?

Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
    Obviously, this is an unstable time for writers and representatives alike.

I don't want to attempt to take advantage of a precarious situation.

I've been seeking representation for the last few months and have several full script requests.

If I follow-up with any of these guys, will they be too busy/frantic/crazed to even care right now - or will they be scrambling to find new people?

I'm fully aware that the likelihood is that the agents and the WGA will work something out within the next few weeks, but just wondering how best to proceed as a previously unrepped talent seeking representation?

Thanks, gang.
    - Skunk
    send your queries. try to secure reps. you're not in the WGA yet, so rule #23 doesn't apply to you. take advantage by starting to work with an agent now if you can. you need to build relationships.

there are thousands of WGA writers firing their reps until or unless they sign the COC. it doesn't mean that they don't like or even love their reps. it just means that they're partners on opposite sides of the argument.

if you earn your WGA member status as 'current' and the dispute is not settled, and your agent is a non-franchise agent, then at that point you will have to fire them.

managers aren't impacted by Rule 23.

the decision is yours.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Re: -- is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the best?

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      send your queries. try to secure reps. you're not in the WGA yet, so rule #23 doesn't apply to you. take advantage by starting to work with an agent now if you can. you need to build relationships.

there are thousands of WGA writers firing their reps until or unless they sign the COC. it doesn't mean that they don't like or even love their reps. it just means that they're partners on opposite sides of the argument.

if you earn your WGA member status as 'current' and the dispute is not settled, and your agent is a non-franchise agent, then at that point you will have to fire them.

managers aren't impacted by Rule 23.

the decision is yours.

Both understood and appreciated.

I'm just wondering about whether or not this is the best timing, or should I simply wait until a resolution occurs? I worry that all "new business" may be temporarily kicked to the side until this is resolved. I mean, that is unless they're now desperately looking for new people to sign?

Might any follow-up I send during this period of uncertainty be considered discourteous, considering what they're trying to hold together right now? I worry they've got "bigger fish to fry" at the moment than responding to a follow-up of a relative unknown.

Either that, or is it possible I'd be missing the opportunity of a lifetime?

Comment

WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the BEST?

I wouldn't worry about querying agents anyway. Impact on managers responding to queries approaches zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
          Both understood and appreciated.

I'm just wondering about whether or not this is the best timing, or should I simply wait until a resolution occurs? I worry that all "new business" may be temporarily kicked to the side until this is resolved. I mean, that is unless they're now desperately looking for new people to sign?

Might any follow-up I send during this period of uncertainty be considered discourteous, considering what they're trying to hold together right now? I worry they've got "bigger fish to fry" at the moment than responding to a follow-up of a relative unknown.

Either that, or is it possible I'd be missing the opportunity of a lifetime?
          I don't think you'll get very far querying managers right now. Every formerly manager-less professional writer I know is adding a manager to his/her team, and every manager I know suddenly has a swelling client list.

I can't speak as confidently about agents, but it seems to me that they are, at the moment, still in pretty deep denial about this thing: they think this is all posturing by the Guild and the ATA, that a bargain will be cut in the next week or two and that their clients will all come rushing back immediately thereafter. They could be right-- this could all just be a blip. Or not. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
            Every formerly manager-less professional writer I know is adding a manager to his/her team, and every manager I know suddenly has a swelling client list.
            Interesting, I'm not seeing this at all. In my experience, most managers are taking the position that they don't want to be a temporary solution for a writer and get fired the moment this is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
              Interesting, I'm not seeing this at all. In my experience, most managers are taking the position that they don't want to be a temporary solution for a writer and get fired the moment this is over.
              I've seen some of that, but from where I sit, it appears to be a minority position. And frankly, I don't really get it-- this is a chance for managers to prove their value; if they deliver, maybe they WON'T be fired "the moment this is over" (if, indeed, it's ever over).

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
                i believe this is probbly truer. managers are about the long game not the short.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Re: WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent

I'd aim for a manager right now b/c they are currently figuring out how to handle all of this and move forward being of value to clients with violating any laws or facing lawsuits from the agencies. And they WILL come up with something (along with attorneys), that much I've been guaranteed.

Just be aware that if you land an agent and have them hustle for you during all of this, you could be viewed as a scab by the union/industry moving forward even though you're not WGA yet. Tread carefully there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahlowen View Post
                    I'd aim for a manager right now b/c they are currently figuring out how to handle all of this and move forward being of value to clients with violating any laws or facing lawsuits from the agencies. And they WILL come up with something (along with attorneys), that much I've been guaranteed.

Just be aware that if you land an agent and have them hustle for you during all of this, you could be viewed as a scab by the union/industry moving forward even though you're not WGA yet. Tread carefully there.
                    That's wrong. The Guild is openly telling non-union writers that they don't need to fire their agents. The leadership knows how hard it can be to get a first agent and isn't asking non-Guild writers to take one for a team they're not even on.

As for managers, with the exceptions of 3 Arts and Anonymous, no one seems to be quaking in their boots regarding these absurd and empty threats from the ATA, which wouldn't conceivably have standing to sue any managers for anything.

Comment

That's wrong. The Guild is openly telling non-union writers that they don't need to fire their agents. The leadership knows how hard it can be to get a first agent and isn't asking non-Guild writers to take one for a team they're not even on.

As for managers, with the exceptions of 3 Arts and Anonymous, no one seems to be quaking in their boots regarding these absurd and empty threats from the ATA, which wouldn't conceivably have standing to sue any managers for anything.
                      The guild can say what they want, but after speaking with my team (top management firm, top lawyer, etc) they’ve all indicated this is the potential sentiment, whether people want to admit it openly or not. And the guild simply said you don’t have to fire your agent. They didn’t say they’d view you pleasantly if you continue to have them make deals for you during this time. And once a deal is done on a major project you’d likely have to join the union and fire the agent anyway.

As for managers, no they’re definitely not quaking but they are all consulting and working out how to handle things moving forward as this will likely be a long-term issue, and no one wants their firm tied up in lawsuits for simply representing their clients.
                      Last edited by Lahlowen; 04-17-2019, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahlowen View Post
                        The guild can say what they want, but after speaking with my team (top management firm, top lawyer, etc) they've all indicated this is the potential sentiment, whether people want to admit it openly or not. And the guild simply said you don't have to fire your agent. They didn't say they'd view you pleasantly if you continue to have them make deals for you during this time. And once a deal is done on a major project you'd likely have to join the union and fire the agent anyway.
                        Yes, well, your "top management firm" and "top lawyer" "etc." know nothing about Guild sentiment, and the suggestion that they do is, frankly, hilarious.

For the record: I fired my agents. I stand with the Guild. I hope we break up the agencies and remake the representation landscape.

But to any non-WGA writers reading this: do not be frightened by misinformation. No one will be mad at you for keeping your reps, the "indications" of "top management firms" notwithstanding.

Comment

Yes, well, your "top management firm" and "top lawyer" "etc." know nothing about Guild sentiment, and the suggestion that they do is, frankly, hilarious.

For the record: I fired my agents. I stand with the Guild. I hope we break up the agencies and remake the representation landscape.

But to any non-WGA writers reading this: do not be frightened by misinformation. No one will be mad at you for keeping your reps, the "indications" of "top management firms" notwithstanding.
                          +1

Comment

Re: WGA Firings - is this the wors a manager/- or the BEST?

Slight side bar here but I wonder if folks on DD can chime in on this for me. I have a new spec that’s not too far away from being ready to take out. I’m British, have UK agents, am not in the WGA but I do have US agents and developed the script with my managers. When I asked my managers about it all last week in terms of my US agents’ role in taking it out they said it should be fine as I’m not WGA. Just wondered if any folks on here had any insight as to whether that would be the case and if they (my agents) were to take it out to buyers and it was picked up where that would leave me with my US reps?
                            Last edited by Mintclub; 04-18-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Re: WGA Firings - is this the wors a manager/- or the BEST?

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                              Slight side bar here but I wonder if folks on DD can chime in on this for me. I have a new spec that's not too far away from being ready to take out. I'm British, have UK agents, am not in the WGA but I do have US agents and developed the scripts with my managers. When I asked my managers about it all last week in terms of my US agents' role in taking it out they said it should be fine as I'm not WGA. Just wondered if any folks on here had any insight as to whether that would be the case and if they (my agents) were to take it out to buyers and it was picked up where that would leave me with my US reps?
                              This actually begs a question I've been thinking about. Though I'm not WGA, is my agent going to hustle scripts as they have in the past, knowing that if it sells I'll become WGA and will have to fire them?

Comment

Working...
                              X