Made the Black List "Top List" - how can I use that?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made the Black List "Top List" - how can I use that?

I was thrilled to see my feature script, A CHRISTMAS CHEER, is on the blcklst "Real Time Top List" for this quarter.

My question is: would this get the attention of potential producers or reps? Is it worth doing a "blanket" query of sorts touting this information? I mean, I've advanced in several competitions, including Austin and ScreenCraft, but does this trump that?

Just looking for advice on my best next step. Thanks in advance, folks.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-08-2020, 03:10 PM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Made the Black List "Top List" - how can I use that?

A 7 and a 6 on the Blacklist probably isn't going to impress anyone. Now things that have scored lower on the Blacklist have certainly received attention. But I'm guessing those things might have been a bit more hook-y.

What you have is a period thing that is a Christmas story. The number of producers and subsequent buyers is just...very limited.

Comment

I haven't used the service, so I can't see logline or scores... but I though the whole point of the site was that producers/reps find you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        I haven't used the service, so I can't see logline or scores... but I though the whole point of the site was that producers/reps find you.
        Definitely. But I'm competing with ~280 others also on the list. I've promoted the link on social media a bit, which has helped. But any additional marketing on my end should help my overall chances.

I'm just wondering if it's worth mentioning in queries.

Comment

If you rolled three eights or something and mentioned that in a query or if you were "reader endorsed- (where they tweet it out or whatever - not sure what constitutes that these days) that would maybe be worth a mention.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I will say - based on the reader comments it feels very safe and down the middle. What separates and elevates this? Why is it worth the investment of period money to make it?

Comment

Agree with Satriales that your scores aren't going to knock anybody's socks off. And I don't see how this list helps, to be honest. I had to scroll waaaaay down to find yours (and only after opening up the keyword search box). It's one of... a hundred? Two hundred? I can't tell how many scripts are on there. To me, it feels more like a page designed for users to feel good about themselves so they keep hosting their scripts (and generating revenue for the site).

Comment

I had a pilot get 7s and into the featured front page for a month. Got multiple industry downloads, of which one producer reached out to me for a meeting (but mine was a period drama a la Mad Men so maybe not the most saleable concept). Maybe an 8 would have done me better for more eyeballs but like everything much probably comes down to the logline and concept

Comment

I've definitely heard very good and reputable managers on DDP poster Kevin's podcast talk about scrolling the lists and saying basically it's 100% about the logline. The top list is basically half of all hosted scripts with at least two reviews for whatever period you are viewing, correct?

If your script had a killer logline and had the scores that it did, I'd be more optimistic about people reaching out. But this story is a tough sell.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                  Agree with Satriales that your scores aren't going to knock anybody's socks off. And I don't see how this list helps, to be honest. I had to scroll waaaaay down to find yours (and only after opening up the keyword search box). It's one of... a hundred? Two hundred? I can't tell how many scripts are on there. To me, it feels more like a page designed for users to feel good about themselves so they keep hosting their scripts (and generating revenue for the site).
                  The reason I was glad to get there was because I've read multiple articles with reps and producers that they DO use the blcklst to find scripts and have people check this "top list" every week.

I assume many folks here have read this Reddit post:
                  https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...le_maximizing/

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                    If your script had a killer logline and had the scores that it did, I'd be more optimistic about people reaching out. But this story is a tough sell.
                    So, the logline needs work? Or you're just saying I have no hope and am wasting my time?

Comment

Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
                      So, the logline needs work? Or you're just saying I have no hope and am wasting my time?
                      I don't think it's a logline problem, I think it's a what the story is about problem.

It's familiar. Like people's eyes tend to glaze over with this stuff - "oh ANOTHER way into Oz or Wonderland?- Sure the Dorothy and Alice thing sold - but that was a more elevated concept and might as well be ten years ago in spec sale time.

And again, cost.

Look, is there a modern horror retelling of this story? (Or has that been done already?)

I'm personally not seeing it as it currently stands.

If I wanted to get noticed with a Christmas script I'd write a dark as fvck Wet Bandits origin story and post it on Reddit.

Comment

I don't think it's a logline problem, I think it's a what the story is about problem.

It's familiar. Like people's eyes tend to glaze over with this stuff - "oh ANOTHER way into Oz or Wonderland?- Sure the Dorothy and Alice thing sold - but that was a more elevated concept and might as well be ten years ago in spec sale time.

And again, cost.

Look, is there a modern horror retelling of this story? (Or has that been done already?)

I'm personally not seeing it as it currently stands.

If I wanted to get noticed with a Christmas script I'd write a dark as fvck Wet Bandits origin story and post it on Reddit.
                        So, to clarify: you're saying I'm wasting my time with it as the concept is inherently flawed and no one will ever option it, regardless of any other accolades it may have ever received. So I need to dump the script and do something else. Is that essentially it?

Comment

So, to clarify: you're saying I'm wasting my time with it as the concept is inherently flawed and no one will ever option it, regardless of any other accolades it may have ever received. So I need to dump the script and do something else. Is that essentially it?
                          I don't want to tell you what to write. You wrote THIS which is more than most people do. Are you going to be able to improve this script to a point where people will want to make it? I don't know that. 6 and 7 isn't bad at all. But I don't see a ton of upside in not driving on to the next thing. There's a ton of family Christmas opportunities with streamers. (See the Justin Hartley thing just announced today, for example) I just think period is going to be super tough and overly familiar.

Comment

I don't want to tell you what to write. You wrote THIS which is more than most people do. Are you going to be able to improve this script to a point where people will want to make it? I don't know that. 6 and 7 isn't bad at all. But I don't see a ton of upside in not driving on to the next thing. There's a ton of family Christmas opportunities with streamers. (See the Justin Hartley thing just announced today, for example) I just think period is going to be super tough and overly familiar.
                            I'm already well onto the next thing -- an original modern-day crime story. But as this one's doing fairly well, I'm simply trying to get advice as to how best to help market it. I can appreciate criticism, but when it's *only* listing all the negatives, it makes it seem very much as though you're trying to drill into my head that I've written something which has no hope of ever getting anywhere and I should give up on it.

If you're trying to convey that it just doesn't matter WHAT I do -- as it'll never sell anyway -- fine. Point received. Loud and clear.

But if that's not it, then I'm happy to hear any advice as to what my next marketing step for it, if any, could or should be.

Comment

I'm already well onto the next thing -- an original modern-day crime story. But as this one's doing fairly well, I'm simply trying to get advice as to how best to help market it. I can appreciate criticism, but when it's *only* listing all the negatives, it makes it seem very much as though you're trying to drill into my head that I've written something which has no hope of ever getting anywhere and I should give up on it.

If you're trying to convey that it just doesn't matter WHAT I do -- as it'll never sell anyway -- fine. Point received. Loud and clear.

But if that's not it, then I'm happy to hear any advice as to what my next marketing step for it, if any, could or should be.
                              What positives should I be focused on? Your idea has everything working against it even if you rolled straight 8s. If anything, I think I've been overly optimistic here. I don't think it's impossible. I would bet against it.

Have you found the contact info for the Creative Execs, coordinators, or assistants at prodcos who have set up Christmas projects at streamers in the past few years and queried them?

Comment

Working...
                              X