No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Normal or Not (Managers)

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
    Too many writers have defensive relationships with managers. You don't work for them. Ideally, you work with them.
    Exactly.

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
    I think the problem with most overly controlling managers, and there are a lot that are, is they get to be that way because their writers give them that power...

It was then he realized it was always about what the manager wanted. No give and take. A dictatorial relationship.

It's YOUR writing and your career. A manager is there to help YOU guide it. The final decisions about anything are yours.
    You basically just described verbatim what I experienced with my previous manager, so at least now I don't have to. I am happy to report however, that my new manager is so much better.
    Last edited by Lahlowen; 05-05-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

all interesting stuff. but is finding one all word of mouth? i've read older postings saying that there's no email list, no real manager publishes an email. how??

Comment

Check the Deals Archives here on DDPro.

Comment

My script, an Austin 2nd rounder, has been with a producer and manager for over a week. No response. what's a nice way of nudging them- or should i take the hint they're just not into it and move on?

Comment

Originally posted by jonbbb1 View Post
            My script, an Austin 2nd rounder, has been with a producer and manager for over a week. No response. what's a nice way of nudging them- or should i take the hint they're just not into it and move on?
            A week? Give them more like three to four weeks, then follow up with them. Unless there is a deal attached to the script, they are not going to be reading it right away.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks Will.

Comment

Can someone help clear a little confusion. I sent a query to a manager about a screenplay, with logline, etc. His response is " Should you have a sample you’d like us to consider..." we'll send a release? Is he asking for a portion of the screenplay or all of it?

Comment

It's a bit unclear and could be interpreted either way. A sample of your writing could be an entire script, especially if you've written six or more let's say. Or they could literally be asking for like 20 pages of it to just get an idea of your writing.

You can ask to clarify, of course. Or just write them and say "Yes, I have feature script I'd love to send in, please send me the release." and leave it at that.

If they don't note when they send the release that they only want 20 pages or so, then that's their "problem." Send the whole thing then. In this day and age with PDFs costing nothing, it really shouldn't matter. They can read the whole script or the first 10 pages if they like. The "cost" is still the same.
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

A "writing sample" refers to a completed script. Send whatever script you feel is strongest.

Usually the term "sample" refers to a good script that went around town, but nobody bought. Reps will still send a writer's "sample" out for assignments or staffing considerations on similar projects.

Comment

Thanks Will and Bunker. I offered the script.

Comment

Generally my experience with managers are that they are spec farming producers.

They basically do what producers do: get you to spec something they think they can sell, give you notes and get you to do rewrites, then try to package it and find financing. And they usually jump on the project as producers or EPs.

The thing is signatory producers aren't supposed to do that without paying you. Managers however... Plus they have a bunch of writers (I mean clients) doing the same thing. And because you're "repped" by them, they get exclusivity. And even if the script doesn't come together but becomes a sample for another project, they take a percentage from this other project without doing anything. It's free moolah.

When managers "hip-pocket" writers, they're actually hip-pocketing the script -- getting you to develop it for them for free to take out later with no obligation to continue the relationship if nothing materializes.

That's what most managers seem like to me. Getting a good manager however, I guess that is something altogether different.
                        Last edited by Why One; 11-30-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
                          Generally my experience with managers are that they are spec farming producers.

They basically do what producers do: get you to spec something they think they can sell, give you notes and get you to do rewrites, then try to package it and find financing. And they usually jump on the project as producers or EPs.

The thing is signatory producers aren't supposed to do that without paying you. Managers however... Plus they have a bunch of writers (I mean clients) doing the same thing. And because you're "repped" by them, they get exclusivity. And even if the script doesn't come together but becomes a sample for another project, they take a percentage from this other project without doing anything. It's free moolah.

When managers "hip-pocket" writers, they're actually hip-pocketing the script -- getting you to develop it for them for free to take out later with no obligation to continue the relationship if nothing materializes.

That's what most managers seem like to me. Getting a good manager however, I guess that is something altogether different.
                          I'm not being snarky here, but what's the alternative if you're not repped and trying to break in?

Comment

Working...
                          X