Manager issues/Disconnect - Is this normal?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager issues/Disconnect - Is this normal?

Nm
    Last edited by spyder23; 07-04-2018, 05:08 AM.

Re: Manager issues/Disconnect - Is this normal?

You need a new manager and your agents will set you up with them. This really isn't a debate at this point, you're not on the same creative page and he has recused himself already. If the material is that good, you won't have a problem getting a new manager you are more in sync with.

Comment

It feels like he's given you a good way to get out.

He's acknowledge that there's, as you said, a "disconnect." And that's fair. If that Page 7 scene is particularly violent, or graphic, or involves violence against children, then there are a lot of people who just can't connect with that.

If he can't even watch Handmaid's Tale, and you're writing Irreversible, then yeah, not the right manager for you.

I would call him and say, "Hey, I feel there's a disconnect between us. These are the stories I'm passionate about. But they're not the stories that you're drawn toward or comfortable with. We have different tastes and I think it's best if we go our separate ways."

After the things he said, I can't imagine him disagreeing with that assessment. Just keep the conversation respectful and professional.

At which point, ask your producer and your agents if they can recommend any new managers.

Comment

Talk to your agents first, let them know your intentions, don't blindside them. You want a smooth transition.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
          Talk to your agents first, let them know your intentions, don't blindside them. You want a smooth transition.
          Agreed!

The whole experience may even prod your agents into being more active in your career. Squeaky wheel, and everything.

Comment

At this point, it appears your writing is solid and you know what you want to write. You've also made connections with people who can make things happen. If your manager is not on board with what you want to write at this stage of your career, it may be time to ask yourself if you really do need a manager at all.
            BUT if you do decide that you don't, sit down with your manager and be honest and open that you both have reached a parting of ways. Do it in such a way that you end on good terms with each other (if possible).

Comment

You have to respect someone for standing up for what they believe in. Maybe something terrible happened to a member of his family (god forbid a child) in recent years and he just can't be involved in such topics, which I totally understand and respect and hope you do too, on a personal level. But on a professional level - which is the entire foundation of this relationship, it doesn't mean you have to keep him as your rep, especially if he's heavily delaying on other projects.

It sounds like you are on two completely different wave lengths, and perhaps even his perspective of you as a person in general has changed after Page 7. But you have two examples now of how you're not in sync. Use them, and get yourself out of the situation before it derails any of this heat.

Though as others have said, definitely consult your agent first.

Comment

Thank you everyone, this is all so very helpful. Definitely appears as though the writing is on the wall.

Plot twist just last night: got arguably the biggest producer in town reading this pilot(I even pitched that I was open to it as a feature), but the sad part is that I hustled it on my own. I did tell my agents and they were psyched and placed a call for me to said producer on my behalf.

Comment

Congrats! Added bonus - really sounds like you're saving yourself 10% once this finally takes off, lol.

Comment

people are entitled to their opinion. if it's not for him you should't hold it against him because he doesn't agree with your choices. it sounds like a very polarizing piece and you certainly realize it isn't everyone's taste . it doesn't make him a bad manager. i respect that he knows himself and won't compromise what he believes in. he told you up front instead of pretending to support you.

what matters is that your work is finding its way into hands that can potentially make it happen. it's a very good thing. focus on what's going well and not what is negative. i think you should have a talk with your manager that you have concerns with his lack of support. tell him you understand that you respect his opinion even if it doesn't align with your choices. show him the same respect and honesty that he gave you. then talk openly about whether you should part ways at this point. don't leave it with any ambiguity.

do it the right way and you'll be better for it by keeping a relationship on good terms that might come back to help you at a later time.

good luck with your pilot. as a person who can write very dark material, it sounds like something i'd definitely like.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Final act,

Agree completely. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. And you're right, the material is polarizing. I knew this going in and no matter how much I would preface the fact it was dark, I learned no one was ever prepared for the opening.

Thank you for the tips and well wishes. We'll see what happens! I'm definitely open to this as a feature. Six months ago I probably wasn't but TV landing spots may be limited due to the nature of the piece.

Comment

Working...
                      X