Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thirtysomething Reboot

Earlier today I was in the shower and I had this thought -- it's really time for them to reboot Thirtysomething. I can see them doing a version with millennials doing parenthood, blah blah blah. Then I log in here and see this:

Thirtysomething
    Logline: Revolves around Elliot Weston & Nancy Krieger Weston's and Michael Steadman & Hope Murdoch Steadman's children, who are now 30-something themselves.

Haha! Ha.

Re: Thirtysomething Reboot

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
    Earlier today I was in the shower and I had this thought -- it's really time for them to reboot Thirtysomething. I can see them doing a version with millennials doing parenthood, blah blah blah. Then I log in here and see this:

Thirtysomething
    Logline: Revolves around Elliot Weston & Nancy Krieger Weston's and Michael Steadman & Hope Murdoch Steadman's children, who are now 30-something themselves.

Haha! Ha.
    Swear, I had this exact same thought this week.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I never saw this show, but I feel like I would have loved it if I saw it the last 10 years or so....

Comment

i watched thirtysomething pretty religiously toward the end of its original run. although the show started out the way it was stereotyped -- whiny, self-absorbed white boomers talking about their first-world problems -- it opened up into some pretty compelling stuff later on. basically when Elliot and Michael lose their own ad agency and get bought out by Miles Drentell, it got pretty good. really it was Zwick and Herskovitz using advertising as a metaphor for the television industry to **** on network TV and the executives (even as they were getting tons of shitty notes from ABC to try and boost the ratings!). not all of it has aged tremendously well but it's also important to remember in the context of mid-80s network landscape, there was NOTHING like this on the air to that point. Bochco had pushed the envelope some with Hill Street Blues and LA Law and St. Elsewhere had done the same for medical dramas. but mostly it was Steven Cannell-style junk. the follow up that Z&H made (after exec producing My So Called Life), Once and Again was much better. criminally underrated and underseen, like most of them

(assuming this sequel does go to series, i'd KILL to write for it so if anyone has an in with Ed or Marshall, feel free to PM me)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
          i watched thirtysomething pretty religiously toward the end of its original run. although the show started out the way it was stereotyped -- whiny, self-absorbed white boomers talking about their first-world problems -- it opened up into some pretty compelling stuff later on. basically when Elliot and Michael lose their own ad agency and get bought out by Miles Drentell, it got pretty good. really it was Zwick and Herskovitz using advertising as a metaphor for the television industry to **** on network TV and the executives (even as they were getting tons of shitty notes from ABC to try and boost the ratings!). not all of it has aged tremendously well but it's also important to remember in the context of mid-80s network landscape, there was NOTHING like this on the air to that point. Bochco had pushed the envelope some with Hill Street Blues and LA Law and St. Elsewhere had done the same for medical dramas. but mostly it was Steven Cannell-style junk. the follow up that Z&H made (after exec producing My So Called Life), Once and Again was much better. criminally underrated and underseen, like most of them

(assuming this sequel does go to series, i'd KILL to write for it so if anyone has an in with Ed or Marshall, feel free to PM me)
          Yes! I recall watching it religiously even though I was a young teen. It did capture the Zeitgeist of the time. I would also kill to write for it! I think this reboot can really work -- doing the generational divide thing with a new crop of parents/professionals in their 30s, dealing with the boomer parents giving advice that maybe isn't aging well. Etc.

Comment

...it opened up into some pretty compelling stuff later on. basically when Elliot and Michael lose their own ad agency and get bought out by Miles Drentell, it got pretty good.

... in the context of mid-80s network landscape, there was NOTHING like this on the air to that point.
            Miles Drentell!! Yes -- he was always speaking in these weird parables, crushing them while they' were trying to keep their jobs. It was truly compelling.

I feel like A Million Little Things is trying to be thirtysomething right now, at least with its vibe of a group of adult friends set up, but I've only seen a few episodes of it.

I thought Susannah added a good layer in, since none of them liked her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109i42MdAzI

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              Swear, I had this exact same thought this week.
              That's pretty Zeitgeist-y.

P.S. I love that word.

Comment

Thirtysomething

Haha! Ha.

Whoa, dude! Apparently, intersecting ley lines cross at your shower, which gives you prescient knowledge of Hollywood deals! Whoa! What an opportunity for you! You are sitting on a virtual gold mine! Now, if you are a red-blooded, capitalist U.S. citizen, you will exploit this and capitalize on it somehow! Whoa, Nelly!

Edited to add: The title needs an update, too, I think: “30-Something: The Next Generation.” “30-Something: The Descendants.”

For some odd reason, the title suggestions above sound familiar. Hmm. Well, I don’t know what, but it will need something besides the same title.
                Last edited by Clint Hill; 10-06-2019, 11:05 AM.
                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

That's pretty Zeitgeist-y.

P.S. I love that word.
                  great word.
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                    Whoa, dude! Apparently, intersecting ley lines cross at your shower, which gives you prescient knowledge of Hollywood deals! Whoa! What an opportunity for you! You are sitting on a virtual gold mine! Now, if you are a red-blooded, capitalist U.S. citizen, you will exploit this and capitalize on it somehow! Whoa, Nelly!

Edited to add: The title needs an update, too, I think: "30-Something: The Next Generation.- "30-Something: The Descendants.-

For some odd reason, the title suggestions above sound familiar. Hmm. Well, I don't know what, but it will need something besides the same title.
                    Your sarcasm aside, one of my stupid powers is having a sixth sense of what's coming next days/weeks/months before it becomes a thing. I just haven't been able to execute fast enough on my ideas to make them viable.

Comment

Your sarcasm aside, one of my stupid powers is having a sixth sense of what's coming next days/weeks/months before it becomes a thing. I just haven't been able to execute fast enough on my ideas to make them viable.
                      It’s all good, “bro.” I find that I become physically ill if I try to exploit for personal gain any of my Extra Sensory Perception abilities. They can only be used to fight for Truth, Justice, and the Tellurian way.

Comment

Thanks, TigerFang. Yes, when I try to exploit my stupid power, it doesn't quite work out. But it's there when I don't try. So, anyhoo -- Also, I'm a woman.

Comment

Also, I'm a woman.
                          Just tryin’ out that Gucci-talk thing; y’ know, like the old saying says: “When in Greenwich Village, do as the Pope of Greenwich Village does.”

What would you entitle the Thirtysomething reboot project?

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                            Just tryin' out that Gucci-talk thing; y' know, like the old saying says: "When in Greenwich Village, do as the Pope of Greenwich Village does.-

What would you entitle the Thirtysomething reboot project?
                            LOL. Got it.

They'll probably just use the same title, and I would do that, too. But it would be funnier if the parents (played by the original actors) were the main characters and they called it Sixtysomething.

Comment

Hey. I like that Stephen J. Cannell junk because 1) his production bumper got me into writing and 2) I couldn't relate to normal, average people who either cheated or were cheated on or went through a disease because I was a weird kid at the time.
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                              X