Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #11
TigerFang
Member
 
TigerFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,177
Default Re: The Irishman

Watched The Irishman a second showing in a week’s time. The attention to background detail is amazing.

The movie marquees had the movies of each period depicted of the movie's timeline, all of the automobiles, trucks, and construction equipment were spot-on, and the 1970s era as depicted included the hairstyles of that day down to the sideburns for men. Although not uncommon, the lyrics of song choices in the background music reflected what was happening at those points in the film to give the scenes and the song choices greater meaning.

All of the details went deep into the background, unlike other period films that seem now to have accomplished only a thin veneer as compared to The Irishman.

The entire movie is filled with authentic visual elements that ground the story in reality and create a finely-layered background tapestry on which the story plays out. Whoever comprises the set decoration and art direction teams that pulled this off ought to receive multiple awards of some kind.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #12
Captain Nemo
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Default Re: The Irishman

Finally saw 'The Irishman' and liked very much -- imho Scorsese's best, aside from 'Raging Bull.' I wasn't especially thrilled with the de-aging FX, but still think this approach an improvement over the way many a bad make-up job has negatively affected an otherwise fine performance.

Re complaints about its pace, the speed of individual scenes and cuts have seemed to increase in every decade since the '80s, I think largely due to the Spielberg-Lucas/MTV effect during that period, so that younger audiences (90%?) are now completely conditioned to expect it. Anyone who has seen more than a few movies from, say the 1940-80 period can see that it's possible for a more measured pace to be effective. But, I can understand that it might be difficult for a younger (under-40) demographic to relate to the material -- I probably wouldn't recommend 'Wild Strawberries' to this group either.

Since Oscar noms are Monday, and it now looks as though BP award is coming down to a race between 'The Irishman' and 'Parasite,' will be interesting to see if Spielberg and the opponents of film awards for streamed films with nominal theatrical releases, continue to put up a fight against their inclusion as AA contenders.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #13
DDoc
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 167
Default Re: The Irishman

Finally saw it. I enjoyed it. Last stretch was tough but it fit the story well. Pacino did the best acting imo.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:09 AM   #14
Captain Nemo
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Default Re: The Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
Finally saw 'The Irishman' and liked very much -- imho Scorsese's best, aside from 'Raging Bull.' I wasn't especially thrilled with the de-aging FX, but still think this approach an improvement over the way many a bad make-up job has negatively affected an otherwise fine performance.

Re complaints about its pace, the speed of individual scenes and cuts have seemed to increase in every decade since the '80s, I think largely due to the Spielberg-Lucas/MTV effect during that period, so that younger audiences (90%?) are now completely conditioned to expect it. Anyone who has seen more than a few movies from, say the 1940-80 period can see that it's possible for a more measured pace to be effective. But, I can understand that it might be difficult for a younger (under-40) demographic to relate to the material -- I probably wouldn't recommend 'Wild Strawberries' to this group either.

Since Oscar noms are Monday, and it now looks as though BP award is coming down to a race between 'The Irishman' and 'Parasite,' will be interesting to see if Spielberg and the opponents of film awards for streamed films with nominal theatrical releases, continue to put up a fight against their inclusion as AA contenders.
Just FTR, the odds seemed to have shifted big time since I posted, and it now appears that Scorsese and his colleagues will be 100% blanked in the major categories on Oscar night. Looking like '1917' and 'OUATITW' are the main contenders for best pic. Sorry to see it go down this way for Scorsese, but they slighted his best work back in the day, so maybe not much of a surprise.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #15
SundownInRetreat
Member
 
SundownInRetreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,970
Default Re: The Irishman

I had no issues at all with the de-ageing of Pacino, Pesci or the middle-aged De Niro but the youngest iteration of De Niro was off for me - something about his eyes that I couldn't put my finger on. Also, young De Niro moved like the old man he is in real life.

A lush looking film, confusing to follow at times, not sure what to think of it overall. As much as I respect the craft that went into writing and making it, a film should be judged on it's effect as a film - not the technical feats and character development that brought it to life.
Apparently Harvey Kietel was in it but I didn't see him.
__________________
'I got nowhere else to go!'

Last edited by SundownInRetreat : 01-22-2020 at 09:26 PM.
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #16
TigerFang
Member
 
TigerFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,177
Default Re: The Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
Apparently Harvey Kietel was in (“The Irishman” but I didn't see him.
That’s because Harvey Keitel, like the other stars in the movie, is an excellent actor and master thespian.
__________________
“Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!” — Dr. Strangelove: or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #17
JoeBanks
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,929
Default Re: The Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
Apparently Harvey Kietel was in it but I didn't see him.
He played Angelo Bruno, the Philly capo (Joe Pesci's boss)
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #18
hscope
Member
 
hscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,876
Default Re: The Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
He played Angelo Bruno, the Philly capo (Joe Pesci's boss)
Philly capo sounds like a type of coffee. And if not, it should be.
__________________
TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//
hscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker