X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meeting tips

Originally posted by yvonnjanae
    I love this town! Earthquakes and all.

But this whole water thing is scary. I read somewhere on Done Deal that it's considered rude to turn down their offer of a beverage. WTF? Why water? What about a pop? If I ask for regular instead of diet will they write me off as fat and lazy? Should I drink the beverage or just hold it? What if I'm really thirsty, drink it all and then have to go to the bathroom? Help!
    Nobody's going to judge you on your choice -- or lack of -- beverage! (Unless you come in with a beer or something!!) Personally, I wouldn't want a coke because I don't want to belch in the middle of a pitch!

I drink a lot during a meeting, my throat gets real dry. And if you can't hold in a small bottle of water for thirty minutes, I'd see a doctor...

PS -- it's okay to ask to use their restroom before or after the meeting!

Comment

I was told that most places have soft drinks, juice, water, coffee.

I've asked for orange juice when I was sinking (too many meetings in one day) and gotten it. And believe me, if you're tired orange juice really can give you a second wind.

Having them bring you water in a glass is not a bad thing. I've had that happen, too.

But mainly don't do anything that makes you feel awkward or uncomfortable. You need to have confidence, and no matter what somebody else tells you, if you feel awkward about it and it shows, you didn't help yourself.
      my webpage
      my blog

Comment

Maybe you have to have a bunch of "amazing high concept" ideas to earn the title of screenwriter. But it's a whole different discussion. Because if we accept the idea that you earn the title only as you sell... what about those brilliant scripts that never sell? And if you earn the title the moment you write Fade Out on your first script -- what if it sucks? What about all the dreck that there is, perhaps some of it mine -- so, everyone has a title?
        delicious delirium

Comment

Originally posted by south832
          Maybe you have to have a bunch of "amazing high concept" ideas to earn the title of screenwriter. But it's a whole different discussion. Because if we accept the idea that you earn the title only as you sell... what about those brilliant scripts that never sell? And if you earn the title the moment you write Fade Out on your first script -- what if it sucks? What about all the dreck that there is, perhaps some of it mine -- so, everyone has a title?
          It's not about earning the title, or deserving the title. When I said that I was told not to put "writer" on letterhead and business cards as a novelist, I knew MANY published and successful novelists who simply used their names, no "title." I was told the same custom exists in Hollywood -- no "screenwriter" title. I never considered it a matter of whether someone had earned it or not, since the people telling me this had certainly earned it, and still didn't use it.

It's simply a matter of custom. (shrug)
          my webpage
          my blog

Comment

Originally posted by south832
            People should do whatever feels comfortable for them. It doesn't make much difference. I hold to the principle, "As a man thinketh, so is he." I knew I was a screenwriter many, many years before I actually sold something. And right before my first trip to Hollywood to tackle the five-minute-pitch circuit, when my first business cards arrived with "SCREENWRITER" printed under my name, it felt really good and give me that extra little boost of confidence. It was a personal affirmation. Maybe if I hadn't already written about ten screenplays, I wouldn't have been so bold. But I was ready at that point to make it official. Hell yes, I told myself, I was a screenwriter. I had the years spent in front of the computer to prove it.

We all give ourselves titles all the time, some are visible in our posting names, so it might as well be a positive one.

Why do you think I am THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ!!! (Just don't look behind the curtain, and don't look at my first script -- it beyond sucks. But it had a great title -- "THE SIXTH SENSE"!!!)

What about the guy who puts "PRODUCER" on his card who has no credits? Or the "MANAGER" who works out of his apartment in West Hollywood? Are they fake? Some of them. Delusional? Some of them. Or just following the same dream we all have to work in this crazy business?

Comment

You crazy romantic fool, you!
              ENNIS spits in the palm of his hand, puts it on himself.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz
                Maybe if I hadn't already written about ten screenplays, I wouldn't have been so bold. But I was ready at that point to make it official. Hell yes, I told myself, I was a screenwriter. I had the years spent in front of the computer to prove it.

(snip-snip)

What about the guy who puts "PRODUCER" on his card who has no credits? Or the "MANAGER" who works out of his apartment in West Hollywood? Are they fake? Some of them. Delusional? Some of them. Or just following the same dream we all have to work in this crazy business?
                Okay, I'll say this again then I'll shut up. It's not about earning the right to call yourself a screenwriter. As far as I'm concerned, you earned the right when you started your first screenplay. Screenwriting is what screenwriters do, and once you start doing it, you ARE one. It's not like a conferred degree.

I don't believe this has anything to do with being "presumptuous" but the fact is, most writers don't put "screenwriter" or "novelist" on their business cards simply because it's not the custom. It's not a big deal, and if you want to do it, fine. But it's not an insult to be told not to do it. Nobody is (or rather, SHOULD be) implying that any one person doesn't deserve the title. I think what Jake and I have said is most of the pros simply don't use it.

Edited to add: If your point is you want them to remember who you are, and that you're a writer, I think it makes a lot more sense to write the title of your script across the back of the card before you hand it to the exec. Then, assuming your script is memorable, they'll REALLY remember who you are rather than just see your name and that you're one of a million writers they've met.
                my webpage
                my blog

Comment

Whatever makes you feel good about yourself, I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz
                    What about the guy who puts "PRODUCER" on his card who has no credits? Are they fake? Some of them. Delusional? Some of them. Or just following the same dream we all have to work in this crazy business?
                    "Producer" business cards are an aphrodesiac for aspiring young actresses. Need I say more?

Hairy Lime, producer.
                    http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

You still using that, Hairy?

Comment

I gotta get me some of them Producer cards!

Comment

Jake and Pooks, I love ya. Youâ€TMre my peeps. And youâ€TMre absolutely right. I've seen the light. Having â€Screenwriter†on my card is uncool and unprofessional. Iâ€TMm taking it off immediately and printing new ones, replacing it with â€BAD ASS SCREENWRITERâ€!

Comment

Now that should get their attention!

Comment

Great thread G-Oz

Some of the above I have learnt from painful experience e.g. don't assume that everywhere you go has parking facilities. The last thing you want to do is stress yourself out looking for a parking space on the street. So, if they have no drive on parking give yourself more time.

Also if you're out of town be aware of the vast distances in LA. I've made the mistake of setting meetings close together and then been totally stressed getting from Santa Monica to Disney in Burbank in late afternoon and then back to Bev Hills/Wilshire. I had to cancel because I realised that there was no way I was going to make it!

Also, hire a navigation device or read those mapquests carefully. I was an hour late for a meeting in Fox because I quickly glanced at the HCD in the car and thought they were in the 1000's but they were around 10,000 Pico blvd! I had to get from one end of Pico to the other in rush hour! The CE was cool though - I guess 'cause he knew I was from the other side of the pond.

Yeah, as Great Oz says - leave some room in the schedule for waiting around for CE's - it can sometimes be quite a long wait!

Bottom line is don't sweat too much because most of the time those meetings will come to nothing anyway ;-)

KC
                              Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
                              Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

KidC -- that mapquest tip is a good one. I'm also from out of town and I always mapquest the addresses. Some of those mega-streets like Pico and Sunset stretch for twenty miles!

Here's another tip for you out-of-towners...don't stay at a cheap hotel. An Econolodge in your hometown is the Taj Mahal compared to an Econolodge in Hollywood! I speak from experience!!! And find a hotel with free parking, or prepare to be zapped with $10-$25 per day parking fees.

Comment

Working...
                                X