Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2020

I've been under the assumption that Vango wrote "Goodbye, Iraq" due to the similarities between the writer name and DD handle.

Either way. Congrats, Vango.

Comment

Thank you guys. Feel very blessed to be one of this year's fellows.

Comment

Nice achievement. It's great to have your hard work acknowledged like this.

I'm curious, Nicholl wants the finalists to write a letter to the judges. What do they look for?

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
          Thank you guys. Feel very blessed to be one of this year's fellows.
          WOW! So awesome, Vango. Time to research managers to put on your wish list if you don't have a rep yet. Agents, too.

Hoping you get your film made! Please keep us updated.

Congratulations to all the winners and finalists!
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
            Nice achievement. It's great to have your hard work acknowledged like this.

I'm curious, Nicholl wants the finalists to write a letter to the judges. What do they look for?

Thank you. They want to know a bit about you, your writing, and why you wrote the script you wrote. It's a one page letter that the committee may or may not use.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              WOW! So awesome, Vango. Time to research managers to put on your wish list if you don't have a rep yet. Agents, too.

Hoping you get your film made! Please keep us updated.

Congratulations to all the winners and finalists!
              Thank you! I do have a manager already as of last year, but when the finalists were announced there were quite a few emails from reps. I, too, hope it gets made. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
                Thank you! I do have a manager already as of last year, but when the finalists were announced there were quite a few emails from reps. I, too, hope it gets made. I will keep you posted.
                If you have a few spare moments after the ceremony (you're going to be busy real fast if you're not already), let us know how the whole Nicholl week process works for the new fellows virtually this year. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vango View Post
                  I think Nicholl is the only big contest. The pedigree of their judges cannot be matched. Others can provide validation, but they won't do for you what Nicholl can. They don't care in the same way the Academy cares.
                  Yes but the Nicholl is also an out-of-touch band of smug luvvies. Did you see this year's finalists (or any year's, for that matter)??? Talk about depressing. Just look at the titles - Lemon, Sins of my Father, The Seeds of Truth, Goodbye, Iraq... - you know exactly what they are without any further details: introverted, introspective, kitchen-sink, 'drama'. Artsy types will applaud whilst everyone else will avoid. The Nicholl is living on its reputation, which cuts less ice year after year, precisely because of its poncy approach.
                  Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 10-11-2020, 05:52 AM.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

• Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                    Yes but the Nicholl is also an out-of-touch band of smug luvvies. Did you see this year's finalists (or any year's, for that matter)??? Talk about depressing. Just look at the titles - Lemon, Sins of my Father, The Seeds of Truth, Goodbye, Iraq... - you know exactly what they are without any further details: introverted, introspective, kitchen-sink, 'drama'. Artsy types will applaud whilst everyone else will avoid. The Nicholl is living on its reputation, which cuts less ice year after year, precisely because of its poncy approach.
                    Ah, classic sour grapes.

Ironic you're responding to Vango, a member here, who won a Nicholl fellowship with Goodbye, Iraq. From the synopsis, it doesn't sound like a kitchen sink drama.
                    Last edited by sc111; 10-11-2020, 07:23 AM.
                    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

• Bravo. Congrats, Vango.
                      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

• Well. That’s awkward. ?

Comment

• Your mileage will vary with contest wins. Nicholl is definitely up there as a contest to land you a rep and get you meetings. Your script will go around town. But nothing is guaranteed.

I won prizes TWICE at PAGE around the same time Bill Dubuque won. Yet I don't have the career he does. Took me 7 years after my wins before I sold my first script.

Comment

• Originally posted by sc111 View Post

Ah, classic sour grapes.

Ironic you're responding to Vango, a member here, who won a Nicholl fellowship with Goodbye, Iraq. From the synopsis, it doesn't sound like a kitchen sink drama.
                            Huh? No sour grapes and my opinion of Nicholl is well-known. I responded to Vango because he/she was the only person to mention Nicholl in the 2 threads I read and replied to. I also had no idea Vango placed in any competition. I apologise - 'kitchen sink' was an unnecessary inclusion and my criticism of Nicholl and its scripts holds true without it.

I've no idea what Goodbye, Iraq is about but a penny to a pound says it's less genre fare and more 'a heartfelt, introspective account of one person's/one family's struggles to cut ties with their family/homeland and adapt to life in another' is closer to the mark. But hey, if it's actually an action-packed thriller, then well done to Nicholl for moving with the times (even though I think it's an anomaly rather than a changing of the guard).

Where was my sour grapes when ATB, BDZ, Alex Litvak , Bob Saenz, and Gary Whitta all 'made it'? Oh, that's right, there wasn't any - just kudos. It's a sad indictment when people are happy to pass and read criticism of established pros except when that person happens to be in close proximity - at which point the criticism is attacked and the pro defended to the hilt. And FYI, i wasn't even aware of Vango, which isn't surprising considering he/she's a pretty new member without much posting history.

I still stand by my criticism of Nicholl (and arguing otherwise is just being contrarian for the sake of it) but that said,congrats to Vango. Even if the script is as I suspect, winning in the Nicholl is still a fantastic result as it's still the most prestigious screenwriting competition.
                            Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 10-11-2020, 10:14 AM.
                            M.A.G.A.

Comment

• Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                              Huh? No sour grapes and my opinion of Nicholl is well-known. I responded to Vango because he/she was the only person to mention Nicholl in the 2 threads I read and replied to. I also had no idea Vango placed in any competition. I apologise - 'kitchen sink' was an unnecessary inclusion and my criticism of Nicholl and its scripts holds true without it.

I've no idea what Goodbye, Iraq is about but a penny to a pound says it's less genre fare and more 'a heartfelt, introspective account of one person's/one family's struggles to cut ties with their family/homeland and adapt to life in another' is closer to the mark. But hey, if it's actually an action-packed thriller, then well done to Nicholl for moving with the times (even though I think it's an anomaly rather than a changing of the guard).

Where was my sour grapes when ATB, BDZ, Alex Litvak , Bob Saenz, and Gary Whitta all 'made it'? Oh, that's right, there wasn't any - just kudos. It's a sad indictment when people are happy to pass and read criticism of established pros except when that person happens to be in close proximity - at which point the criticism is attacked and the pro defended to the hilt. And FYI, i wasn't even aware of Vango, which isn't surprising considering he/she's a pretty new member without much posting history.

I still stand by my criticism of Nicholl (and arguing otherwise is just being contrarian for the sake of it) but that said,congrats to Vango. Even if the script is as I suspect, winning in the Nicholl is still a fantastic result as it's still the most prestigious screenwriting competition.
                              In a thread discussing whether or not a script can be accurately judged in 10 pages, or 3, you come along and judge Nicholl Fellowship winners by title alone.

Worse, you make this proclamation to one of the winners! Telling him you know everything you need to know about his script without reading it.

If someone else committed this faux pas ( to put it mildly), I can just imagine how you'd har-de-har-har.

Comment

• Originally posted by sc111 View Post

In a thread discussing whether or not a script can be accurately judged in 10 pages, or 3, you come along and judge Nicholl Fellowship winners by title alone.

Worse, you make this proclamation to one of the winners! Telling him you know everything you need to know about his script without reading it.

If someone else committed this faux pas ( to put it mildly), I can just imagine how you'd har-de-har-har.

Correction:
                                The thread had already moved on to competitions so I didn't just 'come along and judge'. I made two posts, the latter responding to another - this happens all the time on forums. Nicholl was already in play before I joined in andI didn't know of Vango or their entry yet you're ignoring this just to continue your hypocritical digs. My criticism of Nicholl is nothing new and is shared by others so what I said is hardly earth-shattering, egregious or out of character. The propensity of luvvie-appealing scripts in Nicholl has been discussed here many times as well as the risk of entering without one, yet here you are, acting like all that I'm saying is new and unfair. So no, no faux pas.

Sure, I'd guffaw at other people making one - no idea what your point is, though - but I'd stick to laughing rather than hypocritically whining when criticism is made just because someone close to the material is in the vicinity. And I'm confident in the types of scripts the finalists will be based on a) their Nicholl placement and b) their titles, because I'm aware of the history of both Nicholl and script/film titles in general.

If I'm wrong about Goodbye, Iraq (and I'm sure I'm not) then it will be a Nicholl exception not the norm. I'm not repeating myself for a third time so by all means swap your bizarre ranting for evidence that anything I've said is out of line. Put up or shut up rather than continue this argument of your own making. If not, move on, I sure will.

As you're so bent out of shape at my joining in a thread by quoting a post and voicing criticism, I look forward to you never doing the same despite your rich history of it.
                                Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 10-11-2020, 12:50 PM.
                                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                                X