What do you like to do when you finish a script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you like to do when you finish a script?

What is your post-writing ritual?

I usually print it off and then stare at it with a glass of wine in hand haha. Even if it's crap - it's nice to see it in front of me and finished. It looks so different on paper too.

(Feel free to say cocaine and hookers. I posted this on simplyscripts and there were a few replies like that).

Re: What do you like to do when you finish a script?

Well, it's only happened once for me, so it can hardly be called a ritual. Once finished, I read it through and thought "gee, that is really and truly crap." So then I put it away to re-read later. That was about thirteen years ago, so I figured I had set it aside long enough. What I found is that poor scripts do not age well. It's still total crap. So I think I'll set it aside again and give it another twenty years to age. I actually registered this thing with the WGA. Somebody probably had a good laugh.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

My ritual de lo habitual has changed over the years. First it started off as a bonfire burning the first script I ever wrote. I remember it involving tears and much yelling at the heavenly skies. Kind of like a reverse 'I made this' Tom Hanks/Cast Away moment. Nowadays it's a bottle of Brunello Di Montalcino that stares at me defiantly everyday that I'm not done yet. The good news about the bottle is that literally the longer it takes me to finish the script, the better it will taste.
      Manfred Lopez Grem
      WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

I drink a non-alcohol beverage.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Horse View Post
          What is your post-writing ritual?

I usually print it off and then stare at it with a glass of wine in hand haha. Even if it's crap - it's nice to see it in front of me and finished. It looks so different on paper too.

(Feel free to say cocaine and hookers. I posted this on simplyscripts and there were a few replies like that).
          Proof it. Give it to my wife to read. Have the Final Draft read-aloud feature read it out loud so that I can proof it again.

Usually, I'll take a nap somewhere in there.

Then i'll do a proofing pass and then, if it's an assignment, I'll send it off to the producer, or if it's a spec, my wife (who's my manager) and I will sit down and try to figure out what to do with it.

I guess -- it's not really much of a ritual, but then I again, I started writing scripts when I was thirteen and I'm sixty-two now.

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
            I guess -- it's not really much of a ritual, but then I again, I started writing scripts when I was thirteen and I'm sixty-two now.
            Sixty-two is a good age. Well, at least it will be for another month ... then I'm going to be partial to sixty-three.
            STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Not Sell It And Curl Up In A Ball, Crying Until I Start Writing The Next One.

Comment

I thought of this thread when the following YouTube video came up on my recommended list:

It's Common For An Artist To Be Depressed After Finishing Their Work - Dr. Ken Atchity

Personally, I never feel anything but serenity when I reach "THE END" of any script. We all know that's not really 'the end' anyway, because the hard work of selling, not to mention the endless work of polishing, is only just beginning.

I don't even feel anything I'd remotely call depression when, 15% of the time, my querying doesn't generate a single read request. This, even after hundreds of emails over months or years, overlapping all of my future writing projects. I simply know that this completed, unread script isn't going anywhere, and will be there - to generate immense profits and awards ha ha - some day in the future when audiences are finally ready for it.

So for me, it's upward and onward to the next story, while counting each script as an accomplishment of the highest order.

But to the OP's question, there's nothing in particular that I do when I reach "THE END". Maybe a mutter under my breath: "Ha, another one bites the dust!" Along with said serenity and vindication. But no predictable celebration of any sort.

Maybe once these things start to generate some decent income (beyond my piddly eBook sales on Amazon.com), I'm sure it'll change!

Comment

Working...
                X