No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellowships & Script Competitions

Quick and specific question.

For the fellowships, like say the ABC Writers on the Verge Fellowship, many of them ask for a script from show that aired during the 2014-2015 season.

Here's my question...

Are they asking for a script that aired on ABC during the 2013-2014 season, or any show? Likewise for the other network fellowships.

Also, are there any other good message boards like this for TV Writing chat?

Thanks!
    -J

Re: Fellowships & Script Competitions

Check their rules and FAQ pages, the Fellowships usually clarify that question there.

Comment

No for ABC it's any network/cable show that had episodes air that year.

WB is usually specific and has a list you can pick from (usually current shows in its second season or later).
      Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

From ABC's faq (black bolding mine, red bolding theirs):

-----------------------------------------------------

2) A spec script for a live-action cable, broadcast or streaming-service (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, etc...) series airing during the current television season. Applicants are encouraged to select a series that is well-established in at least its second season. The spec script should demonstrate the writer's ability to adapt to an existing format while at the same time infusing a unique point of view and sensibility.

Material should tonally translate to the type of programming broadcast on DATG [Disney ABC Television Group] series. Both samples must be live-action content. Animation samples of any form are not accepted.

-----------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thank you kindly.

I missed that. Does anyone know anyone who's won/been chosen for one of these? Or are there any specifically to stay away from?

Also, anyone else know any other message boards that are specifically TV Writing focused?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybird1984 View Post
            Thank you kindly.

I missed that. Does anyone know anyone who's won/been chosen for one of these? Or are there any specifically to stay away from?

Also, anyone else know any other message boards that are specifically TV Writing focused?
            I know a good handful of people who have been through these programs -- all of whom are staffed now.

A friend reads for one and it's tricky to balance because you don't want to necessarily pick the hot new show because everyone is going to be speccing it and some poor reader is going to be inundated with 150 new Orange is the New Black Scripts... but you don't want to pick something obscure that not many people watch because it'll end up on a reader's desk who hasn't seen the show and is making assumptions about it based on your spec. Some shows are long in the tooth and it's hard to stand out because every possible storyline has been tried.

But there are always exceptions so ignore me...
            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

https://kiyong.wordpress.com/

http://www.tv-calling.com/drama-spec...d-what-is-not/

http://www.tv-calling.com/comedy-spe...d-what-is-not/
              If you really like it you can have the rights
              It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Working...
              X