Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
figment
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 907
Default Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Good luck everyone!!

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/apply.html


Changes:

1) All first round scripts will be read by two different readers this year before it's determined if they move forward. So no one will get kicked out by an initial read.
2) The awarded Fellowships are 35k rather than 30k.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
NoirDigits
Member
 
NoirDigits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 648
Default Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Both changes are pretty great. I guess I picked a good year to enter.
__________________
Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.
NoirDigits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
gregbeal
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 813
Default Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Four additional changes:

The early deadline has been moved up to March 15 (the regular deadline remains May 1).

Early entry fee is now $35.

Regular entry fee is now $52.

We have rewritten the collaboration rule slightly in order to make clear that collaborations must be equal partnerships from the start to finish of a script. In other words, both writers must create the story and the screenplay together.


Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Good luck everyone!!

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/apply.html


Changes:

1) All first round scripts will be read by two different readers this year before it's determined if they move forward. So no one will get kicked out by an initial read.
2) The awarded Fellowships are 35k rather than 30k.
gregbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
lordmanji
Member
 
lordmanji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,123
Default Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbeal View Post
Four additional changes:

The early deadline has been moved up to March 15 (the regular deadline remains May 1).

Early entry fee is now $35.

Regular entry fee is now $52.

We have rewritten the collaboration rule slightly in order to make clear that collaborations must be equal partnerships from the start to finish of a script. In other words, both writers must create the story and the screenplay together.
Love that scripts now have to be read twice in the first round. Awesome change, Greg!
lordmanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Richmond Weems
Member
 
Richmond Weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,581
Default Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji View Post
Love that scripts now have to be read twice in the first round.
Great. Just what I need on my conscience: two people who will go blind by gouging out their eyes after reading my script.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Laura Reyna
Member
 
Laura Reyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California coast
Posts: 1,782
Default Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Thanks for the info, figment & Greg!

This year will be my 1st time entering the Nicholl! WOOHOO!
__________________

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )
Laura Reyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
LauriD
Member
 
LauriD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: the navel of the world
Posts: 1,885
Default Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Another change (or clarification): people who won more than $5K on Amazon Studios aren't eligible for the Nicholl.

LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Manchester
Member
 
Manchester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,243
Default Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbeal View Post
The early deadline has been moved up to March 15 (the regular deadline remains May 1).

Early entry fee is now $35.

Regular entry fee is now $52.
Maybe it's just my eyesight. But if not, then FYI: At the Nicholl site, I found this:
Q: What do I need to do to enter the competition?

A: You need to submit an original feature film screenplay in PDF format, a completed online application form and, depending upon when you enter, either a US$35 or US$52 entry fee.

Q: When are the application forms available?

A: The online application typically becomes available in late January. The application period traditionally closes on May 1.

Q: When is the entry deadline?

A: In 2012, it is 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on May 1. The online application form will be shut down at that time.
But, I did not find any mention of March 15 as an/the early deadline.

Suggestion: Augment that last Q&A to show both deadlines and their respective fees (yes, even though the fees are mentioned above).
Manchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
gregbeal
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 813
Default Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Thanks for pointing out the mssing information in the FAQs. The early deadline changed, which may be the reason the date isn't there.

From the Nicholl "About" page:

Early bird entry fee of US$35 (by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on March 15) or regular deadline entry fee of US$52 (by 11:59 p.m. PT on May 1)


We'll see about adding the information to the FAQs as well.
gregbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Manchester
Member
 
Manchester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,243
Default Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbeal View Post
From the Nicholl "About" page:

Early bird entry fee of US$35 (by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on March 15) or regular deadline entry fee of US$52 (by 11:59 p.m. PT on May 1)

We'll see about adding the information to the FAQs as well.
Yeh, that's one place I didn't think to look. I checked the Rules/How To page, the FAQ, and the pdf doc with the rules. You might also consider adding that info to the pdf.
Manchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker